Hands not working anymore

I have been getting so frustrated lately. I drop or knock over several things everyday. It is hard to type, I make so many errors it takes forever to write something anymore. I understand my hands being stiff, painful, even sensitive to cold. What I dont understand is the loss of coordination. This is the most frustrating. I was always very coordinated. I even taught myself to throw lefthanded(natural righty)and hit both left handed and right handed for baseball by the age of 11. I recieved a plastic cup with a straw for xmas. You can knock it over and it wont spill because the straw has a circular piece that acts as a stopper. I have to say it is the most practical thing I own now as it prevents at least one spill a day minimum. Does anyone else have this problem?

17 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Kristopher,

I do have the same problem and boy is it ever frustrating. I knock things over and have a hard time with hand coordination as well.

I'm convinced it is because my hands are stiff, sore, and just not working like they used to. Maybe it's age, maybe it is this illness, but whatever it is, it is aggravating. It is particularly bad when I first get up in the morning. My grasp is just not very good. I'm definitely a "fumble fingers".

I so feel your frustration. Wish I had some advice.

Kathy

I can't hold an OJ carton with one hand. Can't grip that way. Sharp pain in base of thumb joint. Seriously this is ANOTHER symptom of UCTD? UGH! I thought it was just a normal ache and pain of getting older. This is never ending.
Wish I could help you too.

your guinea pig is too cute

I completely understand how you feel. The pain and swelling are one thing, but I hat it when my friends want to text and I have to tell them I can't. My husband cuts my meat up and opens things for me. It stinks. I have found that some of the muscle and arthritis creams can help along with applying heat.

Hi Pixiebubbles. Have you tried Pennsaid. It is a topical liquid(not cream) with diclofenac. Its works really well for the pain and some of the stiffness in my hands. Its an NSAID used in many drugs such as Cataflam. Those are oral and can be bad for your GI tract. My doctor said the topical is much safer to use. It is pretty expensive from what he tells me but he gives me samples so thats great. Maybe you could ask for a sample as there are several similar brands. Or perhaps there is a coupon/savings card for this or similar meds. Many Rx meds have savings cards. I currently use two. One for Lyrica that saves $75 and one for Symbicort that reduces the cost significantly. Best wishes.

Kristopher

Thank you re my guinea pig, he's a rescue, Snuggles. I just switched my picture to one of my foster dogs. I foster until they find their forever home. This guy just got adopted last week.
I've tried aspercreme and does absolutely nothing. Does Pennsaid have that cooling menthol, the last thing I want to feel is cold, hate that stuff. Is it over the counter or Rx. What is Cataflam? Thanks
Michelle

It is an NSAID generic name diclofenac. It is better for you because it is taken topically not travelling through the GI trac. Cataflam is just a brand name oral form of diclocfenac. It is not an OTC. Some doctors have samples though. It isnt cold but a little slick for a half hour or so then you dont notice it.

I am glad you are able to participate in fostering. I used to manage a Humane Society and foster parents made such a big difference for a no kill shelter or pound. I no longer work there but had been volunteering w/ Black and Tan Cooonhound Rescue and my local animal control center. I recently have put that on hold as I can hardly keep up w/ my 1dog and 1 cat. Its very humbling to go from overseeing the care of close to 200 animals to getting swamped by 2! C'est la vie avec sarcoidosis!

Kristopher

I just did some research on Drug.com on meds by condition so I looked up meds for myalgia pain and arthritis pain and will check into Cataflam, Flector Patch, Dendracin, maybe Soma and it looks like Voltaren has some hefty side effects. Interesting that they work with the hormones responsible for pain. I will ask my Doc next week to prescribe diclocfenac. If you feel better you stay active and that's good for people like us.
We pull a lot of dogs from south. I only do the 10 pounders b/c of my back and other pain issues whatever pops up that day. My boys love the experience. Can't commit to one of our own again b/c I don't know what tomorrow will bring with my issues so this is a great alternative...saving lives. I went from horses and farm work to a guinea pig. I feel the humbling reality of limitations too..&%$#
How are the hands today?

THANK YOU KRISTOPHER,

Don't know if you will see this, but I wanted to thank you for the tip on pain patches. Went to Rheumy this morn...ANA is down, but that doesn't really mean anything, but I asked about several pain patches...one of them Flector. He uses and likes so I have one on my back now and pain is 80% gone!! He gave me a sample like you said. Just wrap me up in this stuff. Don't really like the cooling, but it's not like the salon pas patches OTC it's bearable.
Thanks again
Michelle

Hi Michelle,
I am happy for you and glad that they are working out. I would like to be wrapped in them too. It does wake you up when you first put them on doesnt it. Every little bit helps w/ all this stuff we go through. Have a nice day.

Kristopher

Ugh I hate that too! I am just lucky my husband helps me open everything and comforts me when i get agrivated because my hands won't work ; )

Thank you one and all for the interesting posts. I've tried Methotrexate and that didn't do much to relieve the pain but it did give me through the roof liver scores in my last blood draw! Bye-bye Metho. Now I'm on Inuran (too lazy to check spelling on bottle upstairs). That is so-so. I'm liking the info on the patch and I will research that. This forum is great.

Thank you for your input about the methotrexate. I have been seriously contemplating giving it a trial run. My rheumatologist offered it to me at my last appointment but I told him I wanted to hold off. Now Im having so many difficulties that I will try anything. I have heard about liver enzymes going up and needing regular monitoring and also the chance of losing more hair isnt exactly something I look forward to. Add the nausea to all the times I am already nauseated and it sounds about as bad as the disease its meant for. Then again I have heard some people it doesnt bother. Please let me/us know how the Imuran works out. Best wishes.

Kristopher

Hi. I've been on the IMURAN (thanks for the spelling) now for a couple of weeks and it seems to be a little better than the Metho.
I have NO SIDE EFFECTS with it. I'll get a blood draw in March and we'll see. I am going to ask my rheumy about the FLECTOR PAIN PATCH. That could be cool. Maybe that could work for me and not have an effect on my organs. I just get so excited thinking of all the different pain meds and solution I have left to try. Of course that's a lie. Just my sense of humor.

Kristopher,
I too have the problem with my hands, (as many of us probably do)....not quite as severe as yours, but still painful and frustrating. Severe bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome is common in UCTD. This is not the kind of carpal tunnel that you can have surgery to fix or "release" as many people do....the problem is caused by the inflammation in our bodies putting pressure on the nerves that cause carpal tunnel syndrome. The ulnar nerve (in the elbow) is often times effected as well, which can cause your entire arm (elbow down) to go numb.
I find it helps to wear a splint while sleeping and even through the day when it's acting up. I bought mine at our local pharmacy.
Good luck. Hope it gets better.

Good idea. I might try that. My elbows hurt quite a bit as well. Speaking of things at the pharmacy, I think it was Walgreens or Walmart I cant recall, I picked up a couple of knee braces, my ortho doctor suggested them, they are a big help if you have problems with your knee giving out. One more thing to add to the collection/arsenal. Best wishes.

Kristopher

Wow. I do have a wonky knee! Thank you....I will try that brace as well. ;0)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders