Asthma

Hi, I am a 64 year old female with COPD and asthma as well as compression fractures of the spine!!!

I don't know what else is going wrong with me, but I am searching for new treatments for asthma and COPD. I've been on Symbicort for over 6 months and it is not working too well lately. Please share your experiences with me.

9 replies. Join the discussion

I started having allergies in my 50s, and was on shots. Certain things would still give me difficulty in breathing. I am a very holistic person, so I was always looking for natural things. I read the book, "The Allergy Asthma Cure" by Dr. Fred Pescatore. It is very difficult to follow the regimen, but I perservered, and I haven't had to take an allergy shot in years. Some say a problem called leaky gut is responsible for a lot of problems we have brought on by antibiotic use. I highly recommend the book.

My husband has COPD, brought on by many, many years of smoking. I have used a lot of natural things with him, and the 2 that seem to have the most effect have been oil of oregano by North American Herb & Spice, and most recently I read of a study in Italy where 25 men & 7 women with severe COPD took either a placebo, or 4 grams of essential amino acids twice daily for 12 weeks. The people taking the amino acids showed progressive improvement. My husband is probably on his 3rd month of it now, and he just came down with a cold last week. Typically, a head cold will go to his chest, and we end up in the emergency room because he can't breathe, and the nebulizer doesn't have any effect. This time he had the cold, and a cough, but it didn't get any worse. I was giving him several other things as well, so I'm not saying the amino acids cured it, but that where he would typically end up with bronchitis or something worse, his lungs seemed to be able to handle it. He is on Symbicort, but the steroid in that lowers immunity, so although it helps him on a day to day basis, once he starts getting ill, it has no effect.

If you are interested, I will list all the things we have done, or are doing. He is feeling the best he has for a couple of years, and whereas COPD is said to be progressive, we are seeing improvement in his health. Best to you.

Hi, Laryl! I would really appreciate your listing of all the things you are doing to keep your husband feeling his best. God
bless you for sharing.

Thank you for sharing. Yes, I am interested in your experiences. I also smoked for 40 years and quit over 5 times, I lost count. I don't know if it is COPD or asthma that is bothering me now, but in the winter I could not go outside because the cold weather made me wheeze. No I am short of breath, but do not have a cold or anything like it. It seems the Symbicort is not working any more. I hope your husband gets well pretty soon.

Laryl-I would appreciate a listing of all the things that you have done for your husband's COPD. I take Advair daily (x2) with
Combivent prn. I also do 2 nebulizer treatments daily (Albuterol and Ipratropamine). If I get a cold, I immediately start on
Levaquin and I was sick with the last cold but managed to recover without hospitalization. I'm interested in holistic or more
natural treatments that would supplement my meds. Thanks for sharing!

Laryl-Please list all the treatments that you use for your husband's COPD. I take a lot of meds and would like more natural
or holistic treatments to use. Thanks for sharing!

This will be like a book--maybe split it into chapters. Myhusband smoked for 50 years, most times more than a pack a day. I've always cooked real food, and we take a lot of supplements: when he was smoking, 2-3000mg/day of vit C, and a good multiple. A few years ago he started getting much sicker--went into hospital with pneumonia, I'm guessing. Dr. (pulmonologist) told him he would be on oxygen for the rest of his life. I think the most important thing I can say to you is: DON'T GIVE UP. I was angry at the diagnosis & set out to read & see what alternatives were out there. I'm a Chrisitan, and believe God made our bodies to work & gave us things to help us heal. When in hospital he had to quit smoking & they put him on the patch. We continued it when he came home, not knowing the nicotine in the patch was gluing onto his veins. If you can't quit smoking, I don't know what will help. Keep as active as you can. Both Larry & I are fighters. Hope you are too.
Larry ended up with a stent, and that meant more reading. Two books I used as reference are: Reverse Heart Disease Now by Sinatra & Roberts, M>D>, and The Respiratory Solution by Dr. Cass Ingram. The only perscription Larry is taking now is Symbicort. He takes several supplements for the cardiovascular, which may influence the lungs as well. Before I list everyone he takes, I have to stress that if you do not have good elimination, toxins build up in your body. Larry has to take Miralax every day, as he can't chew well. We spend a lot of money on supplements that I buy online because they are discounted. We may try something for a couple of months that doesn't seem to work for us, and I'll switch to something else. I'm always getting information. We live in the DFW area of Tx, and I listen to a nutritional program, as well as attend health fairs. I spend a lot of time researching. What worked for Larry may not work for you.

A good, high dose multiple vitamin/mineral
fish oil
Kyolic brand garlic
Ubiquinol (coq10)
Dr.s Best red yeast rice - these are taken particularly for the cardiovascular benefit
hyaluronic acid
Zyflamend by New Chapter - this is an anti-inflammatory & seems to work best of what we've tried. You want to get down the body's inflammatory response.
vit d3 - 3,000 iu/day or more
vitamin k-2 & vitamin E (d-alpha)
TwinLab Amino Fuel (2Tb, twice a day) This is the one that I believe is making the biggest difference, & according to the study in Italy resulted in healing of the lungs.
Along with that I put drops of NutriBiotic Grapefruit Extract (2) & 5-8 drops of the Oreganol in an empty capsule 2t/day. He has been on the Oreganol for several months, and the aminos going on 3 months. Ingram also has a book called The Cure is in The Cupboard that is mainly about wild oregano. It fights fungus. I will try to come back from time to time with whatever I have forgotten. Hope this helps.

I forgot the probiotics. They are very, very important to heal leaky gut. I switch on & off with Dr. Ohira's (expensive) and Jarrow's Jarrowdophilus EPS. This is one of the first steps. Allergy Asmtha Cure, as well as books I just mentioned can be purchased inexpensively on Amazon.

Thank you for the extensive list of supplements and good information. I am on several supplements already for my spine. I will add a few more and see how it goes. Thank you once again.

Hi, Laryl! What an extensive list! You have really done a lot of research and I appreciate your sharing. I will start slowly
adding to my current treatment and see how it goes. Again, thanks!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders