disability

Has anyone applied for Social Security disability because of cancer?

I will be going on Chemo for the second time in less than 2 years I have stage 3C ovarian cancer. I think this is going to keep happening. How do cancer patient keep there jobs when you have to keep taking time off. Happy New Year
Mz

42 replies. Join the discussion

I too have ovarian cancer stage 3C. I was diagnosed in January 07....I am currently receiving SSD. I had to go thru my short term disability first though, I believe the waiting period is 6 months. I applied for it in May of last year, a couple of months before my short term dbl ran out. It's good to get the ball rolling because SSD can take a while to be approved.. I was approved for it in July. I don't know how people go thru this while they are working, you do miss alot of time. I guess it can be done if you have a lot of sick time, or vacation time accrued, but most people don't. No one should have to work while going thru treatment for this disease.

My oncologist was very suuportive about filling out the paperwork, and letting me decide which is better for me, I chose not to work, and it's a good thing I did. I'm on my second round of chemo, I've been getting chemo on a regular basis since last January, (except for 5 weeks while I was in remission) whoopeee.. my job was stressful, and we all know what stress can do to a person. Talk to your doctor, no one should have to go thru this, let alone be forced to work. He can help.

Good luck

vicki

I was unaware that I qualified for benefits until my oncologist advised me. You can call your local social security office and find out what you qualify for. I was fortunate enough to be put on the fast track for benefits, and received retroactive benefits too. If you have worked enough, you are entitled to social security benefits and after a period of time medicare too. Good luck!

Wow Vicki! Your story sounds much like mine, only I was diagnosed in January of 2006. I went back to work the beginning of March in 2006 and worked through my chemo, taking time off a few days after treatment. I didn't apply for social security disability until April of 2007. I was approved for disability in July of 2007 and it was retroactive to January of 2006, minus the waiting period.

As far as my treatments, I had chemo from February through May of 2006...I was chemo free for June, July and August and towards the end of August I had my CA-125 done and it started to go up again. My doc wanted to wait two weeks to have a second count done and after that it was CT scan time and more chemo. Last year I was chemo free for about six weeks and I've been on non-stop chemo since.

I work part time limited hours. The lady at the social security office told me that you're able to work limited hours while on social security. I do that to maintain my sanity. It helps to keep some sort of control over my life. On days I don't work I find myself walking around the house in sweats all day, skipping breakfast, etc. so that's why I like to work. My employer is great and they let me come and go whenever I please.

I applied for disability on-line. It took quite a while at the computer (probably a couple of hours). The social security office called me within a couple of days and scheduled me an appointment to come in to clarify a couple of questions. It surprised me that the day after I was in I was at work I got the paperwork from the social security office for my disability (I take care of the mail at work) so I knew they put me in the fast track mode.

I've been told that eventually I will qualify for Medicare but haven't heard anything about that yet.

Mary

My husband applied for disability.He has leukemia-lymphoma since 2005 but applied only last September. We are still waiting to see if he'll be approved.He has to take chemo but we can not afford it. I am a rel este agent but with the market the way it is right now I'm looking for a new job and so far no luck!.
Does anyone know od any charity that can help with medical bills?

I too was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer in March 2004. I had no trouble applying and receiving both SSI an Disability. I did go back to work during my treatments as I only received about $600 a month combined. They base it on your work history and in my situatin my husband wanted me to stay home with our 3 children so I had not paid in as much as somebody would have who worked longer. I received Medicare after the waiting period of 1 ye on disability. I have had no problems until recently when SS informed me that since I made over $900 per month after my trial work period that I was not eligible for and benefits except Medicare and would have to pay back $3610.00! I applied for a waiver but was refused. Although other people with better circumstances than me received a waiver! I reminded them that in the beginning of all of this, I was told that I was exempt due to the nature of what I had. So not to worry as this rule would not apply to me. Have to pay anyway even if I was given the wrong info by one of their case workers. They did not care about anything except getting the money back even if it put me at risk for foreclosure on my home. I am a single parent-raising my 14 year old grandson whom I have had since birth. My daughter and her family moved in with me and after having to leave my previous job for a time, I went back to work once again to make ends meet as I will not burden my children. I am now waiting to see what happens next as I am supposed to be able to keep medicare for another 71/2 years but will probably have to now pay the monthly premium and will lose the medicaid part of ot (slmb). Just remember not to trust anything that you are told-make sure on your own. Stress is not what any of us need when we are fighting this disease! They certainly try to make your life miserable and the system is designed not to let you get ahead. The more you help yourself the more they take from you. I don't know which is worse, the cancer or the system! The main thing is to take it slow so as not to put any additional strain on you body. It is hard but can be done! Karen

Have you tried the Leukemia-Lymphomia Society http://lls.org ? They have helped my family with travel expenses, ex.

Hello Mz,

I too have 3C ov ca (recurrent)..diagnosed in April 2001. Disability retired in September 04'. I had worked for the Fed. Govt and disability was approved within 2 wks of papers submitted. I had been off work more than at the office. Social Security kicked in about 2 yrs after retirement...helps with the medical bills, although I kept my secondary ins from work. Best decision I ever made...now just focus on my health....This is a chronic disease and most people realize it.

I've had many chemos (currently taking Topotecan), radiations and two surgeries....I try to live each day to the fullest and keep a strong faith in God.

Hang in there! Stay strong and make the right decision for you!
God Bless.
Jean

I was diagnosed with APL Lukemia in March of 2008. I started recieving SSI in May 2008, and started receiving SSDI in Aug 2008. I applied while i was in the hospital. I made sure that I sent in everything possible. I got ALL of my medical records and sent them in and when i applied I filled everything out thoroughly.

I was put on SSI and told the waiting time was 1 year before I could get disability. Then I was put on both SSI and dis. It still is only a small amount but it helps. I worked but had a wonderful manager who worked with me. It certainly isn't easy. I also read on here that ovca is one of the top 50 diseases that qualifies you right away. Check with Soc. Sec. I now am at home watching my grandchildren. When I work, they first take your SSI and then start cutting your disability if you gross more than $980 per month. They certainly don not make it easy. They should go by hours not $ so if you could only work 20 hrs weeklt and made over the limit, you lose it. And to think there are actually people out there on disability who are collecting a substantial amount and not really disabled! The system is so backwards. But look into it to see what your individual amount is as you may get a decent amount and may not have to work etc.

Hello i have ovarian cancer stage 3.

Sorry didnt finish. i was dix. with stage 3 ovarian cancer in march 2007. worked for awile. i work for woderful caring people. but i applied for ssd in june 07 and started to receive benefits in dec.07. Have to wait 6 months after you stop working. But i was approve like within a week. It has been nice because now i can focus on myself. Although i did love my job and really miss my co-workers.

Hello Helen 5
I am still holding my breath with having stage 3
ovarian cancer,(which I found out about in
Sept. 07) Had surgery in Oct. with followup of Chemo until I became in
remission in March of 08. I am still
looking over my shoulder and wodering when, but
not dwelling on it.
I found that some of the hospitals have a charity
program to apply for and got great help from them.
It will not hurt to try.
Good luck and keep thinking positive,that is what
has really helped me, besides friends and relatives.
Hawkeye

This is the official ss website for then new compassionate allowances. Hope this helps.
Some more words of advices.
If you are denied for any part of your requests, appeal the decision. Be sure you submit your appeal in the timeframe allotted or you give up any future option to appeal.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances/ces/

Has any one gotten SSI for CLL? D

This is the message given when clicked on the link.... File Not Found
You’ve requested a Social Security Online page that does not exist. Please follow the instructions below:

If you have reached this page by following a link on another Web site, please notify the owner of the Web site, not Social Security.
If you have reached this page by selecting a bookmark that worked previously, check the Site Map or use our Search to find the new location and update your bookmark.
If you have reached this page by following a link in a letter or publication from Social Security, please check your spelling. Remember, web addresses are case sensitive.
If you have reached this page by clicking on a link on Social Security Online, let us know about bad links by sending Feedback. When sending the message please let us know the name or address of the page where you found the broken link so that we may make a correction.

There is the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I have NHL and qualified for co-pay assistance for medicine, doctors' visits and health premiums. HOWEVER, in early November 2008, I was notified that LLS lost its funding due to a lack of support for the foundation. They are keeping my bills on file, and I am hoping that my medical will be paid retroactively. You might apply with the hope that you will receive help.

I am researching other foundations. The Healthwell Foundation. May I suggest you contact the American Cancer Society. If I find out anything, I will send it to you. If you find out anything, please send it to me. I really need help with my premiums. My position was eliminated, and I am on COBRA which is killing me financially since I am only receiving unemployment.

Sorry about that. There was an extra backslash and ces at the end. Try this one

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances/

So I can still be working and request disability. I had stage 3 ovca 7 years ago and it came back last year. I finished my chemo in November but I am totally exhasuted and don't think I can con't to work. So what exactly do I have to do....get my doctor to approve?

So I can still be working and request disability. I had stage 3 ovca 7 years ago and it came back last year. I finished my chemo in November but I am totally exhasuted and don't think I can con't to work. So what exactly do I have to do....get my doctor to approve?

I can still be working and request disability. I had stage 3 ovca 7 years ago and it came back last year. I finished my chemo in November but I am totally exhasuted and don't think I can con't to work. So what exactly do I have to do....get my doctor to approve? Will it be forever I am only 44 year old.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders