accident trauma cause of cancer?

Head trauma resulting from being hit by a car while riding my bicycle . Blood draining from blood clots in ear drums created a fistula in left side of throat also a cyst. This is where the cancer was found approximately 3 to 4 months later.Could anyone comment on this?

16 replies. Join the discussion

Scotty,

I think it's more likely that the trauma allowed the cancer to be found or even the fistula created a nice comfy place for the cancer cells to settle in. I have wondered about this very subject for a while myself but can't find anything that would indicate a connection between recent or even latent injuries "causing" cancer. It just seems to be a fortunate accident that the cancer is found in conjunction with an accident or trauma.

Yes, I know, there are people out there that would like to believe in things besides what the researchers and medical community know and there are studies being done all the time, but there are also people who believe in lots of things that doctors, logic and rationale tell the rest of us, is bunk.

Are you going through treatments? Have the doctors removed the offending "cyst"? What are they telling you so far?

And, if you find out there is ANY sort of connection, please let me know, okay? Just remember, there are lots of us survivors out here and you're been unceremoniously added to our ranks.

My best to you and keep in touch.

Unfortunately being hit by a car is one way to find out that there was cancer present in that location. I always say things happen for a reason even the ones we do not like. So were are you now with ths? Are you receiving treatments and have they removed the cyst?

I have to say goes with what your gut is telling you and do not let the Dr's tell you how you are feeling. You know your body more than they do.

Please let me know how this works out for you, all the best.

Keep in touch .

All I have ever heard was that cancer usually starts as cyst either bening or malignant. If left untreated, benign cysts may develop into malignant cysts. Cancer is very strange to say the least. Please keep us updated and hang in there as lots of us "shouldn't" be here today, but we certainly are!

I agree with the idea that the accident was the route to the finding. Same thing happened to me. I had a herniated disc that caused abdominal pain, but the ct scan found a tumor in my stomach. It probably never would have been found if I hadn't had the bad disc pain.

Make sure you are getting the treatment you think you should get. I have had some experiences with the medical industry this past year that border on negligent.

Keep us posted and hang in there.

my husband had a car wreck in 2004,with some trauma to the left side of his head ,and in oct 2007,he was diagnosed with head and neck cancer on the left side,so I was wondering actually the same thing because his wasnt diagosed until almost 3 yrs later,but it was all on the left side,which was the side injured in the wreck,now he is batteling one of the most aggressive cancers out there and is not doing so well,he is only 50

I am feeling silly. I was the first to answer Scotty and now I'm questioning the same thing. Oddly, my first breast cancer was in the same breast and same area that I fought a severe infection in when I was pregnant in 1968. Not a big connection there...

However, my cancer came back, quite recently, metastsized to my spine at the T 7 and L 4&5. I have had problems with both places for quite a few years and had visited chiropractors for the L 4&5 a number of times. The T 7 is slightly below a section that was damaged in about 1989. Odd? Maybe. But it certainly adds to the mystery and makes me question my own original answers.

Day after accident saw dentist who took x-rays and visual exam, no abnormalities were evident. Was only after blood clots drained and pain started in throat that biopsies were done, this was about 5 months later.
I believe that the pain and stress of the accident lowered my immune system enough to allow mutant cells to grow.
It was the dentist who noticed the fistule which resulted from the drainage of the clots.
I now have Osteoradionecrosis from the radiation therapy. Sometimes I think the cure is worse than the disease as I lost more than 60 lbs. with the G-tube.
My heart goes out to all who suffer from this opportunistic disease.
I am 61 yrs old so the shock of an accident is more severe.

I feel that cancer can be caused by stress and injury, as the body's defences are compromised, however trying to prove this is a daunting task as most doctors will not agree. I did have an Oncologist who did agree but off the record. Good luck and take heart that the human body can heal itself with time and love.

this is what I thought would happen when i posted that last post,I knew there were others out there that were wondering the same thing,as far as the treatment being worse than the disease,its aweful,my husband also has a g tube as he can swallow nothing,he has lost over 85 lbs and is only 50 yrs old,now he is sleeping about 20 hrs a day,completly exsausted!!!

Scotty,

Now I am really worried as I fell in December, injuring my right jaw and chin. I am on a chemo that is known to cause somehting to do with the jawbone detriorating. I will watch this carefully. Also, the last two molars, one top and one bottom seem to be having problems and may have to either be pulled, (the last two molars on the right side,) or have two root canals except I have no idea how I would be able to pay for such a procedure...

I believe also that it hits at the bodys weakest points. My mom had lc with bone mets. Her bone tumors started at the exact locations she had had previous injuries. I understand we all have dormant cancer cells. Just what happens to activate them is still unknown. But it makes sense that if the immune system is not working properly and they take root then they probably would connect to the weakest parts of the body.

Never had chemo, but radiation requires all teeth that may be problematic in future (5yrs) are removed prior. You need to see a dentist who is aware of the effects of cancer treatment to advise you. Good luck and best wishes.

The blood clots from head trauma occluded both ear drums, they eventually drained down left side of neck which is where the fistule and cancer cells started. Squamous cell carcinoma was advancing rapidly, at stage 2, 5 mos. after accident so if I had cancer before accident it would have been far more advanced. I also had neck and back damage as hit a concrete planter, I rest my case.

Arguments well taken and now backed up with my own experiences. Thank you for bringing this up.

Exactly! Thank you.

Scotty,

I have been in contact with other cancer victims whos cancers appeared in places that had been compromised years before, either by an accident or infection. You certainly did hit a common thread although we didn't seem to pay it much attention at the time.

Someone mentioned recently that there has been some research on this very subject so I hope they are able to find some answers for us. Thank you for bringing up the subject and also for the comments on my last journal post.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders