Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction/pelvic instability, anyone?

Hi! I would love a chat with anyone
experiencing pelvic instability/SI joint dysfuntion.

I know we can help each other out!
fm

17 replies. Join the discussion

Hello,

I I started feeling intense SI Joint pain in Nov and still suffer. (Although not as bad). I've been to PT and pain management. PT has helped me learn which muscles to work with to control spasms. Sitting is the worst for me. Unfortunately I work with a computer all day. I've had x-rays which show L5 S1 instability. Waiting for MRI results. The SI Joint pain is often mistaken for Lumbar instability. Still searching for a doctor who can actually relieve this pain. I'm hoping for a cortisone injection as I've tried pain killers which only make me sick. Have you had any luck?

I'm in. They're talking a spinal cord stimulator. But my SI jointis so shot, idk how it's gonna work.

But when the pain gets going, it can be wicked...

God Bless,
JJ

Last Feb. PT 'reset' my Left SI joint - nerves in my legs got trapped--cramping unbearable, inflammation up spine into neck/arms,tailbone torqued, rib/shoulder out of place, right leg shorter. Went to new chiropractor-(Milwaukee) slowly got better. Then bad pain center of back. Had MRI- we all didn't connect mid back pain to SI joint. Then iliac bone shifted and got STUCK over the sacrum. Pain management dr. made a diagnosis w/ epidural cortisone shot-Thanksgiving. Chiro used the 'activator' on the joint two weeks ago and joint moved almost to neutral again. Amazing! So I've been recommended to see a physiatrist and 'start over' with fresh beginning and that I should get an MRI of SI joint, (not lumbar spine) to 'see' the inflammation. Got a name of private physiatrist. Been to 2 PTs since, one too inexperienced, neither one did gait test-told me I would have to live with pain. Found Neuro Spine clinic on Internet located two hours away, rated 'best' in the Midwest -(Appleton WI) will get referral for a local chiro from them to set the joint 'more correctly.' Will travel there if I have to. What about prolotherapy--Mayo Clinic said it was legit (in 1995) but insurance doesn't cover? I read prolo was very successful for SI joint pain, sounds promising! ?? What do you think?

Any thoughts on prolotherapy? When you say your SI is shot, what do you mean? What are your options?
I am turning into a walking, talking, kind of annoying person, anyone have any success with sacroiliitis?
Thanks, fm

I was injured in 2007, I was diagnosed with SI Joint Injury, I hurt between by buttox and my hip on the left side. I thought I would be going back to work, you know get a shot or whatever...I have been fighting to keep my mobility every since. I did the prolotheropy, the doc gave me an 80% chance to get 100% better, of course I jumped at the chance, I am 39 years young, at the time of the injury I was 35. Since the prolo, first my pubic bone shifted in the front and I am still unstable in my si joint, now my hip abductors are wearing out and they are talking about more shots in the front between my leg. I really don't mean to frighten anyone about prolotheorpy i did ask around before I tried it, all i heard was how wonderful it was and how much it helped. Honestly... I dont know what would have happened If I didnt try it, but I will say this it really hurts, like in the bed for 3 days on a heating pad, feeling nausiated hurt..and I go to a chiropractor every week to put everything back, and at first it was working for about 3 days, but now I dont stay in on the table.....I have pelvic instability now and was hoping to find something online, something new..I read your posts and started to cry.

One thing to be aware of is "false sciatica" -- piriformis syndrome. It is often mistaken for a back problem, though the cause is nerves trapped in the muscles of the upper thigh. Treating one when you actually have the other is at best non-productive.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry, scgal123. . . don't cry . . . we'll get the answers we need. I'm in Milwaukee. . .waiting for an appt. from the
spine center at big teaching hospital in Milwaukee here; other than the NeuroSpine
Clinic in Appleton, WI (next on my stop if I have to) I'm not sure where else to go. Are you with some docs at a teaching hospital?
I have this wild idea in my head that SOMEONE in the SPORTS/MILITARY world could help us out? -- the knowledge there must be substantial. I know a nurse at the VA here, maybe she knows someone?? Yes, PpsDan, I think it's both SI dysfunction and Piriformis Syndrome, often linked I guess. The tingling/pain starts when I sit down, top of my thighs, down my legs. . . do you have this? What do you do for the pain? Once a month (when the hormones are going) I can almost push mySI Joint myself into place (yeah, it's as funny looking as it seems it would be) but it's stuck alright. I wear an SI belt, getting orthotics, could try yoga, but am not sure what to do/not to do. Thank you for answering me. I feel so much better I'm not alone. I think one of the Mayo Clinics has a spine center. . . anything is worth a try. Please write again if you can.

I had an epidural cortisone shot for diagnosis only. I am waiting for an appt.
at a spine clinic at a teaching hospital. I am just seeing my chiro
but the joint seems really stuck. When my pelvis twists, that's when
the pain is . . . Did you go for the cortisone injection? Did it work?
I am thinking of prolotherapy? How are you doing? fm

Oops, that last entry was for vhm1.
Thanks, fm

Thank You...it is fantastic to find out I am not alone and terrifing at the same time, no one should ever be in pain like this 24/7. I am with a doc at a teaching hospital...I have had a rizotomy (sorry i cant spell), epidorals, si injections, prolotheorpy, physical theorpy (who said he couldn't build muscle around moving bone, he said we had to get the bones secure.), chiropracter who puts me in every week. I just wish there was something besides those pesky shots. I do go to a pain psychologist, because there is a level of pain whether I am on medication or not to help me, and it is helping, with my state of mind...:)

Well, as it turns out, my primary doctor was wrong. It's not my SI Joint at all. My pain management doctor ordered an x-ray and MRI. Then he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon. The MRI revealed a spinal fracture at L5S1 and a herniated disc pinching the main nerve root. I have a spinal fusion scheduled for Feb 28th. Not looking forward to this.

have you ever heard of an x lift (I heard you will have more mobility it you do this, but there may be a reason why they can't?)....i went to the doctor too... they are doing HGH Hormone shots to try and build tendon back on my hip abductors...I am excited..... on the 28th for me 2...I really hope everything works out for you and you have a very short recovery.

I never heard of the Xlif procedure until your post. I did research it and it seems it's not a procedure that will work for my condition. I've looked into several different methods of fusion and the alternative treatments. The decision to have surgery was not an easy one. I prayed for a doctor that could tell me what was wrong after being misdiagnosed twice. Finally an answered prayer.But the solution is more than I bargained for. I hope your surgery goes well also. Keep me posted.

How did your surgeries go?
We all would like to know, when you are up to
answering, let us know!

fm

Hey, where is everyone?
I found online a clinic in Gainsville, GA, that is one
hour away from my sister's house in Atlanta. I think
I'm gonna give them a call: they especially treat SI
Joint dysfunction. Anyone know anything about this
place? They treat out of town people for a week at a
time. I am going to give them a call.

YES!!!!! I am familiar with the Gainesville clinic. I had an 18 year battle with SIJD and found them thorough the internet. I went down in Jan for surgery and am now 11 weeks post-op. They are for real and I truly believe it is the best and most informed care you can get if you are suffering from SIJD. I realize I sound like a commercial for them, but I am simply so thankful to be getting my life back I want others to know that the GA clinic is for real. There is a facebook group called SIJD that is open to everyone. I have a journal on there about how my recovery has been over the last 11 weeks. It's up, it's down, its hard because I had been dysfunctional for so long, but after all those years of suffering and my body breaking down and getting worse and worse I am excited to know I have a future again - I am only 36 and have had this since I was 18 and hurt as a college athlete....

if you want to read my story I invite you to go to the SIJD facebook page and find the discussion :post op SIJ fixation observations/experiences

That should be the link if I did this right...

I just found this site while I was looking for others that might be journaling post surgery...
I hope this gives you all some hope - SIJD can be beat and it often can be done without surgery, but you need to be in the hands of a skilled PT :)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/topic.php?uid=69991252216&topic=17085

SIJD AND GONSTEAD TECHNIQUE ANYONE? I am so happy for You! When I am not at work I will check out this site! Thank you for your post!! I am not alone!! I am seeing
a chiro in S. Milwaukee who practices the GONSTEAD technique. I have seen him once, his
partner three times, also have a second opinion appt. lined up with
the spine clinic/hospital chiropractor, you know, the doc with 16 letters after his name, the guy who has
seen it all. The pain has really diminished since I've been manipulated these 4 times so . . . I saw the OT and tried the pillow with
the tailbone cut out (it works!) and she recommended a new office chair (it seems OK),
I have core exercises to do and supplements to take (and ice), and the Gonstead chiro actually moved the
bone, (it was a little scary, he is that good, yikes, I can feel it move!) so maybe . . . if I hold on for six more weeks, maybe the bones will shift more. You know how it is when all the help/docs are not right, and then you get someone
who MAYBE is right? but you don't trust them completely because of the past? Well, that's what is
going on here with me, I am going to try, but my eyes are wide open. ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HAD
SUCCESS WITH GONSTEAD WITH SIJD?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders