Nitrofurantoin daily to prevent UTI?

Hi Everyone

So a few weeks ago, I posted about being diagnosed with a neurogenic bladder. The urologist suggested self cathing once a day but that is just not a good option for me.

Since my last appointment, I have not had to cath in almost 2 weeks. I have been urinating pretty well on my own although I am sure there is some urine left in my bladder.

I asked about going on a low dose antibiotic long term to prevent UTIs and I was prescribed nitrofurantoin

Anyone else use this medication? Please share your results if you would

13 replies. Join the discussion

cath only once a day???? i have never heard of anything like that ! you can ask if you can get a bladder scanner at home, its hand held and once you have gone to the loo scan your bladder and if there is still urine in there then cath but other wise if you do just once a day you will get uti's :S also try going to the toliet (if your a man sitting down) but sit backwards so your facing the wall, this will streach your bladder so more will come out, i know it looks stupid but thats what i had to do for years before it stopped completly !

That is an antibotic that I was on for quite a long time. It has some nasty side effects though, I would google it as I have forgotten the worst of it. The last Uro I saw said it was a nasty antibotic to use, so that is there thinking now, it did help with stopping infections though

Thanks for the replies :)

What do you guys think of Bactrim ds? Anyone have experience using that antibiotic long term to treat recurrent UTI instead?

I had the Dr. switch me from Nitrofurantoin to Bactrim after reading some of the side effects as well as finding out the price each month.

Please share if you have taken Bactrim ds long term or if you currently are taking it

Thanks

I think you should really re-consider taking Bactrim or any medication for long term therapy. This little statement sums it up "Prescribing Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) tablets in the absence of a proven or strongly suspected bacterial infection or a prophylactic indication is unlikely to provide benefit to the patient and increases the risk of the development of drug-resistant bacteria." Bactrim and any other antibiotic should really be reserved for when you know the specific bacteria (after a culture and sensitivity has been done) you are trying to eliminate. I am a little surprised that your Dr. even prescribed a low dose antibiotic to use continuously as long term antibiotic therapy is a very controversal subject. I understand how frustrating recurrent UTI's can be but perhaps when the next one occurs that you should ask for an extended treatment regimine and follow-up with a culture test once you are finished to be sure the bacteria was completely cured.

Wow! Since now I have to self-cath at least 6 times a day, I never thought about getting on a long term antibiotic. I don't think my urologist would precribe for that on a long term basis. I am so frustrated that I have to cath again after several months of having the Interstim. However, because of the awful pain it caused I had it removed last week. Now that it is out, the pain has been reduced some, but not all. But, the self-cathing is the WORST! It feel like I have a UTI again. This is miserable. How does everyone out there deal with self-cathing so often and the recurrent UTI's? I never heard about a bladder scanner you can have a home. I didn't know they were available. I think that is a good idea. But, wouldn't your whole day be focused on your bladder to see if it was full or not? What do others do out there who have to self-cath as often as I do? Are there ANY solutions to urinary retention other than the Interstim which made me miserable? I see that one person was told my a neurologist that she /he had a neurological bladder. What is that exactly?

NB UK based .I was on nitrofurantoinfor over 30 years & had to put up with side effects as that was only medication that was effective . I found self catherterising impossible in fact my urologist [ an expert] says he now doesn't agree with it. I have antibiotoics rotated according to what is found with very strong microscope . This has worked well but if not seen exactly 3 weekly go out of control with severe pain & paralysis until self medicate .This is not a good state of affairs especially when the doctors are ignoring the disabilty found because of chronic utis & fact self medication works . This is spina bifida.The worry is the problem may become chronic as nobody addressing the problem saying osteo spasm .Even the minimally invasive surgeons don't seem to understand spina bifida.Maybe stem cells might be the way forward.

Just wanted to write this to all the people who have been told by a urologist that they have a neurogenic bladder......

If you have read my previous posts, you know that I was told this and had a horrible experience with my urologist

I went to my gyno and was told that my problem may be hormonal. I have been put on birth control pills to stop my period (just take a new pack before the last week) and I still continue to use nitrofurantion to prevent a recurrent UTI and so far, I have bee FINE :)

I only had one day last month (after my period) when I had difficulty urinating.... so my advice is to explore other options, the problem MAY NOT be your bladder at all. Mine is hormone levels

Good luck to all

I know self cathing is a pain in the neck to have to do but I just wanted to add I tried the long term dose of antibotics and now have ended up being immune to all but one antibotic, this is what happens when you stay on them long term.

If you self cath all the time you won't have any infections and so not need to take the antibotics, I have been there and didn't want to admit with a neurogenic bladder this was my only option and since I have now been doing this for about 2 years I don't have infections anymore, if you don't empty your bladder completely the lining of the bladder stores nasties and you will end up with a kidney infection long term which is very serious so please try hard to go back to self cathing instead of using antibotics.

Hello everyone!
I'm a 36 year old female and I've had a Neurogenic Bladder since I was 12 years old as a result of having a Tethered Spinal Cord and subsequent Tethered Cord release surgery. I self-cath 4-6 times a day. When I first started cathing, I took Nitrofurantoin and Ditropan (used to control urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination in people who have overactive bladder) every day for 10 years. During the 10 years, if I had a UTI I would take Bactrim.

After 10 years of taking these meds, my doctor took me off them because they weren't working anymore. Over the years I've taken many antibiotics for UTIs. Now when I get a UTI I take Cipro and that usually takes care of it. You shouldn't take an antibiotic on a regular basis, because then when you get to be my age, your choices of antibiotics that actually work are limited. Allow your body to kind of build up a tolerance for infections.

As other people have stated on here, if you aren't emptying your bladder fully, you're going to get UTIs. And if you have a UTI, and the urine is being flushed up in to the kidneys, you'll get a kidney infection too.

Self-cathing is not that inconvenient! I don't even think about it anymore. Yes, in the beginning, it was a pain in the neck because I was 12 and I laid down when my mom cathed me. Then I learned to cath laying down. Then I graduated to the toilet. I remember how frustrating it was when I first started to learn. I would sit on the toilet and just cry because I couldn't do it. But after some practice..and it does take practice, I got the hang of it. Now it's second nature. I would rather cath than to go like everyone else:) Everyone else is running to the bathroom no matter what they drink. Me-I just go 4-6 times. LOL

The key is to practice when you're not full. Because sometimes the bladder will go into spasms and it will make trying to cath a lot harder and more painful.

I'm open to any questions no matter how personal.

CharlieRae

Explore. D mannose natural no antibiotic side effects

ppp666,

You might want to try taking Ditropan. It's used to control urgent, frequent, or uncontrolled urination in people who have overactive bladder. Sometimes UTIs can make your bladder go into spasms. Mine can be light flutter to the "base of the bladder" going into spasms and it's very painful. If your bladder goes in to spasms it can make it nearly impossible to cath. The Ditropan will help the bladder relax so you can cath easier. It's like a muscle relaxer for the bladder! LOL Good luck

CharlieRae

Mental side effects with Anticholinergics be careful

A urinary tract infection (UTI) is caused by bacteria in the urine (wee). It is important for your child to take this medicine in the way that your doctor has told you to, so that it kills all the bacteria and gets rid of the infection. If the infection is not treated, there is a risk that it could spread to the kidneys, causing damage.

Nitrofurantoin can also be used to prevent UTIs (prophylaxis) in children with infections that keep coming back, or in children who are at a high risk of such infections. In this case, it prevents the bacteria from growing in your child’s urine.

To know more information about Nitrofurantoin visit here http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/nitrofurantoin.html

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders