Interstim Pain

I am two weeks post-op from the perm. Interstim. The procedure took 2 1/2 hours rather than the max 40 minutes that the dr. told my husband. I was in so much pain that the dr. had to increase my pain meds within three days of being home. I feel like I am being ripped apart at the incision site (battery pack). I feel like I am bugging the dr. office because I keep calling and telling them that I'm in pain. I know that I don't have the medical knowledge required to tell if there is really something wrong with this but I know my body and something isn't right! What should I do? I am sitting here waiting (once again) for the nurse to call me back regarding the pain.

6 replies. Join the discussion

I am not sure what your frame size is or how much padding you have over your left hip but you should have had at least 1 and 1/4 inches of fat to place the batter back and the internal stitches should have held the unit intially while the scar tissue secure the unit. My doctor made sure that I stayed inactive for the first week and then required that I did not got to work for 5 weeks to make sure the unit and the leads were sealed so to speak in place. I have had no problems except for minor pain for the first two weeks when sitting down agains the battery while the tissure healed. Now after a year I can barely feel the unit, only a small bulge an a smalll bulge where the lead wire enter the sacram area. I will admit I had a fine Dr. and assistant, nurse, anesthest, Medtonics rep and it took only and hour. I would have the Dr. involved have the Medtronics Rep take a look (EX-Ray) and see if the unit has moved and if so have it re-aligned and make sure you stay off you feet and let it heal like don't been at the hip or pick up items for the first 4 weeks to keep the wires for being pulled out and allow the battery scar tissue to inusualte the unit. My interstim II works 90% of the time and I have bladder that will not allow me to relase urine at all unless it is own, in fact if I turn it off it will be 24 hrs before I can go to the bathroom and I have to self-cath. Good Luck...

Thank you! That's what I'm afraid may have happened....the leads or the pack may have migrated. I am going in to see the dr. tomorrow rather than Thursday. The incision over the battery pack is sooo very tender I can't stand to even lightly touch it and I can feel pain as well (where the small incision over the tailbone) leading over to the pack. I'll be so glad when I'm healed! I have too much to do to be sitting still! Thanks again!

Hi Sorry for you pain.
The only thing I can tell anyone about this device/surgery.....it is all about the doctor. If he knows what he is doing the phase 2 surgery of installing the battery and leads should be relatively painless. I had minimal pain after the surgery. Was only in surgery for about 45 minutes to an hour. Went home...did not take any pain mediation. Was able to go back to work the next day...not an issue. I had some pain where they put the battery until the scar healed and also in the area where they put the leads. I had the surgery on 1/5/2011. I really do not have any issues other than if I set or lay a certain way I might pull something

Good l uck

I am so sorry you are having so much pain. I had my 2nd stage (permanent one) put in last friday.It is painful, but nothing like you describe, also my first stage 1 and second stage 2 my doctor, medtronics rep and on the 2nd surgery told my husband and i it would be about and hour and half, tops 2 hours, just so you might feel more comfortable.
Maybe you should confer with another doctor that knows about this, or have you called you medtronics rep. They should be keeping you as comfortable as possible, as you do not want those wires to move before the tissue has time to adhere to the nerve, and keep it in place. I am in NJ, if I can be of any help. And yes, it hurts, sleeping sucks, and it is very sore.Lori

I just wanted to update about the pain. I was able to get in with my dr. yesterday. After a thorough exam and detailed discussion, the dr. said that she believes that I am allergic to the vicryl sutures that were used deep around the battery pack. My luck! =) I go in next week to have the large incision opened back up, cleaned out and sutured back up with the type they used over my tailbone. I received a steriod shot while I was there to help with some of the inflammation and also had a CBC done to make sure there was no serious infection from it. I would love to say that I was going in today because I honestly can't stand this feeling but my Medtronic Rep. needs to be present for the procedure again and she has been on vacation this week. I am so relieved that the device is still in place and working correctly. Even though I haven't been able to turn up the stimulation to the level that relieves the problem fully....it's still helping tremendously. Thank you all again for your comments!

Lori! I can't wait to sleep on my back again! You don't realize how much you depend on your behind working properly! Have a great day everybody!

I am unable to tell from your posts whether you have gone completely through with the Interstim but if you have not please reconsider. Read my discussion to see why. They do not work in my opinion and if you ever need it taken out Medtronic will not help in any way. They will tell you that you are out of luck and on your own essentially. I hope it does somehow works for you. I have 2 of them and they do not work and are causing me all kinds of problems.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders