white wine, champagne and caffeine: bad for bladder?

There was a short article in the paper in UK yesterday on 'the 1st professor of urinarygynaecology ever appointed in the UK'. She was interviewed and said 'champagne, white wine, and caffeine irritate the bladder'. I dont know if she knows anything about BC but if she's right that could explain why I have BC when I never smoked and not in a carciogenic industry etc. I have no intention of giving up the above anyway but amazingly in all I have read i never saw any suggestion that alcohol is related to BC. Anyone out there got any views? meanwhile: Cheers!

31 replies. Join the discussion

I am glad I drink red wine and tea then, joking apart I have not heard of this but like you I will not be giving them up. Take care Carol

Who knows ??

I don't smoke nor have I ever worked in a carciogenic industry.

I drink decaff coffee ( but mostly tea anyway ) red wine and sadly Champagne not nearly often enough !

Neither do I eat much red meat ( never have ) and I have always eaten lots of fruit and veg.

Blondmoment: I have read a medical paper saying fruit is of no use to Bc but veg is very important. As for champagne if you are in US I find that Cook's Brut champagne is perfectly acceptable for my 1st 2 glasses of the day at around $7 a bottle, it will last 3 days. But if you have a BJ's cash and carry store by you they are selling 1 and a half litre bottles of the same for $9.50. I have just bought a dozen because at that price it is cheaper than buying orange juice and it is very very nice.

Carolmac
What would be the point of living without an evening tipple, but i have been going onto low carb beer after my 2 glasses of champers in the effort to lose weight but cant find any store to buy it from in the UK. In US I buy Bud Select 55 which is amazingly low carb. They used to sell Michelob Ultra in Tescos but cant find anyone who sells it now in UK. so will be fat for Xmas. damm

Hi sueklo

I'm in the UK. In Surrey whereabouts are you ?

oh we are 3 blond brits then cos carolmac is in glasgie and i am in manchester

I have heard this also and it is on the bladder cancer webcafe site. If you don't have a bladder it couldn't matter. I avoid such 3 weeks after TURBD (tomorrow) and during BCG. We all try to do the right thing and enjoy what we can along the way. Other than all the other delights in life, I like my daily Tanqueray before dinner.

What about caviar?? Surely if all the other essential things are bad for us, caviar must be too - that's why I don't eat it. But the others - no way I'll give them up.

There seems to be an ever growing list of food we shouldn't eat - soon we'll die of starvation rather than bc.
Eileen

Eileen: good for you, another blond ( altho I dont think Carolmac is strictly blond, perhaps she wont mind having a blond moment)
Cheers

Another blond here. I rarely drink. I don't smoke. I go back and forth on the coffee. I drink lots of tea. I did smoke for 3 years when I was 20. I guess you could say that I rarely have fun.

Janny

Janny
welcome to our 4th blond
what the heck do you do to relax then?

Oh I feel I need to 'fess up now !

My hair is now just growing back after chemo and is 1cm long and of dubious ( ie; grey ) colour !

Can I still be in the 'cool blonds' group ? Hmm ? Pretty please ?

Eileen; Caviar must be good for you , fish right ?

As for restricting our diet I can only think of Linda McCartney. Her diet must have been exemplary. Veggie , organic, best of everything.

I think it all must be taken with a pinch of salt *insert laughing smiley here*

Hi, Sueklo

I eat pumpkin tarts for fun.

Janny

you guys: who cares if the blond is natural? think blond. feel blond. we are that rare breed, it seems, women who have/had BC. we must be very special. Blonds unite against BC. Drink champagne. Die happy.

Jasta
you must have had a spectacular Halloween
good for you

hey i am from newcastle in the uk
didnt know there was as many brits on here x

Another Brit here !!
I have always drank gallons of coffee, love white wine and have been a heavy smoker for 45 years.
My hubby has never smoked, doesn't like coffee or white wine.
Guess which one of us has bladder cancer ?
It is not me.
I don't have emphysema either (he does)
Don't believe every rubbish report that tries to prove that lifestyle causes cancer.
All cancers are either genetic or are caused by environmental pollutants. With a very tiny bit of help from any 'unhealthy lifestyle'
Of course people are accused of causing their disease as that allows the worlds polluters to carry on polluting in the name of profit.
Think pesticides/diesel/chemicals/dyes/artificial ingredients etc. and stop blaming yourselves for factors that are out of your control.

I don't think that the doc's statement reflected a role in cancer, just that these irritate the bladder making it more likely to spasm and react more to stimulation than without. As with many diseases, bc cause is most likely multi-factorial and needs more than one event to get it started. So while smoking may make it more likely, without some other event it probably is not enough by itself to cause one to develop cancer. That said, since smokers tend to have more health problems than non smokers it is a good idea to stop or not start.

jj

suzy wong and mummy best: great to hear from you Brits.
I totally agree it aint my lifestyle. My dear old mum lived till 90 and never 'caught' BC. She lived on a diet of alcohol as she often said. So are we Brits all happy with UK treatment? My T1G2 was found in US and they were going to start me on BCG but I returned to Brit and they said they dont do that here for a single T1. Anyone else had similar experience?

Mummy-best: sorry I was meaning your hubby and I see he has gone through a lot this year but looks well on the way to recovery now, thank heavens

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders