stay-fix for nephrostomy tube

Had my nephrostomy last week and am doing well. Dressing change is a breeze - just once a week with a one-pc covering called 'stay-fix' - home health changed it this week and Hank will learn how on Monday. They appear to be a bit expensive, around $15 each, but I am assuming this is a medicare covered item. One web site mentioned ease of showering without having to remove any tubing, but I covered the whole patch with press n seal and showered and everything stayed dry. Just wanted to give an update, especially for those w/nephrostomies.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Good info to know. For those of us who are not knowledgeable, we need to hear from you as to your experience about what works and what doesn't.
Thanks for the update. Keep us informed.
Karego

hi
i hav had ct scan for irregularity in my ureter
i hav no obstruction as yet
did u hav any symptoms before u had nephrostomy tubes placed ??????

Not a lot of noticeable sympotoms - 'slow stream' would probably b the first thing. They picked up ureter obstruction on a CT scan and did the nephrostomy on rt. side only - are are hoping it is temporary and obstruction will shrink w/chemo.

Thank you for the information. I didn't know about "stay-fix" but will look into it. I have been changing Ben's dressing every day or two, as there is usually a little hard yellow scabbing that I like to clean off with saline. Don't you have to check the site often to be sure it isn't red or swollen? What Hank is having done sounds much easier! I'll definitely check on this.

Cathy

Kathy, I thought about you having to change Ben's dressing when I wrote that. Hank is mt husband, not the one who had the procedure - that was me, but obviously changing the dressing calls for help. There has not been any redness or swelling, nor pain since day one. The Stay-Fix is what they used in the hospital and also what the home care nurse brought. I presume they can be ordered thru a pharmacy, but maybe need a doctor's prescription. It would be worth checking it out. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find out.

Bonnie

Thank you Bonnie. Sounds like you are doing great! Ben hasn't had any pain, but the opening where the tube goes in remains a little red, and now there is just a very little yellow discharge that hardens. I am going to look into the stay-fix.

cathy

I have bladder cancer that blocked the ureter from the right kidney. Initially, when I went in for a CT scan to view the extent of my cancer, my blood work showed a creatine level of 2.8 (impending Kidney failure), so no dye was inserted and no CT scan. Instead, a ultrasound revealed the extent of the tumor, followed by a cystoscope and biopsy. A nephrostomy tube was inserted the next day, after the urologist discovered that the cancer was blocking the right ureter.
I should be able to have my nephrostomy tube removed, soon. My treatments have been with hyperthermia and IMRT (Pinpoint radiation). I am not being treated with any chemotherapy. The hyperthermia has no side effects. However, the IMRT has created radiation cystitus in my bladder, so I am taking 2 weeks off from radiation and have come back to Arizona for a week.
VCI.org explains the type of alternative treatment that I am receiving.
My first encounter with a surgeon, after diagnosis, was to do a radical cystectomy. I elected not to do that and instead opted for hyperthermia radiation. I have also started hyperbaric oxygen treatments at UCLA Medical Center.

Kewlbob, sounds like you have had the nephrostomy for a while. Hope you dont mind if I ask a question or two...first has there been any problem with urine odor, and second, do you clean the bag/tube at all, and if so how often and with what? Two different doctors told me I need do nothing, but that does not seem right to me. Thanks for any input.
Bonnie

The odor is normal, and I don't clean the bag or tube. I only drain it, often. The reason for my tube was the blockage of the ureter from the right kidney by the tumor.
The doctors at VCI (VCI.org) told me that it would be 4 to 6 weeks before the cancer tumor is no longer blocking the ureter.
Now, I am back home in Arizona for a week. But, will be returning to VCI on Labor Day, and begin about a 4 to 6 week treatment plan.
I have had the nephrostigram to determine if the ureter was blocked. The option at that time was to either pull the tube or replace it. The radiologist couldn't determine if the ureter was open, so he replaced the tube.
After putting in a tube, my blood test showed that I had dropped from 2.8 to 1.4 in regards to my creatine level.

Ben has had his nephrostomy tube for awhile now. Never has had to change or clean the bag. He does empty it frequently. No odor so far.

Cathy

Hi, i am a new member! i have nephrostomy tubes and are trying to buy stayfix devices. I read your message and wonder if you can tell me where you got your devices. Thank you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders