Scar tissue?

Does anyone else have a ton of scar tissue?

My stomach is just bursting around my stoma (belly button). I've had a few doctors look at it, including my urological oncology surgeon when I had my last scans, and the consensus has been that it's a build up of scar tissue, not a hernia.

It's driving me nuts! I walk an hour a day, eat right, am losing some weight....but my gut is sticking out!!

Can I get rid of this without surgery?

21 replies. Join the discussion

My stoma is to the lower right of my belly button, but my scar from below the belly button to pelvic bone looks good. The top part of the scar above belly button not so much. it is more raised on one side than the other. Guess I'll see what doc has to say when I see hi Nov 15.

YES! My left side is bumpier, and harder, than my right!!

I wonder if that stuff, Bio-oil would help with the scar tissue... I mean it says so on the television so it must be true, right? ;-P

Do you have the scar tissue, Lisa?

My incision site did not seem to scar up much... I am just now losing the staple marks on each side. I don't have any lumps or bumps associated with the actual incision site but when I do look down my belly the left side of my belly is marked more prominent than the right side where my pouch and stoma are. Not scar tissue but is general filled out more on the left side..

Actually the right side of the upper part of the incision scar is more prominent than the left. I almost looks like they did a rolled seam on the right side. Also, I still have discomfort when I wear anything, even elastic wasted sweat pants. It's not my stoma, if I pull the waist up to my actual waist it causes a lot of discomfort where the scar is. I know it's only been 5 1/2 months since surgery, but it's annoying, but at least I'm still here to be annoyed.

I had scar tissue (adhesions) in my small intestines after my RC and had surgery one year afterwards to remove it as it caused a bowel obstruction.

There is a technique called myofascial release that some physical therapists are trained at (and massage therapists) which works at gently releasing fascial constrictions. I think that could be helpful to you.

http://www.myofascialrelease.com/fascia_massage/public/default.asp

I took a course by John Barnes (whom invented MFR last year and was thoroughly impressed with his success)

Anna

I believe that my bowel obstruction could have been prevented had I gone to one of John Barnes treatment centers and been treated a couple of months after my RC.

I wonder if I'm describing this correctly? I have a ton of scars on the outside....they don't bother me. This is on the inside....making the left side of my stomach protrude and making it hard. The outside scars don't bother me, it's not like I'm going to be modeling in the nude anytime soon.

And the Drs aren't concerned with the area being hard? Has there been any imaging done to check out the area? I think my docs would be a bit concerned if I had a 'hardness' in my abdomen... Could it be anything like an old fluid collection that has hardened up?

I was concerned about it. Still am really. I asked my urological oncology surgeon when I had my scans last month, he went over them in front of me and found no hernia or fluid. Had my family doctor feel me up a couple weeks later and she wasn't concerned at all, said the same thing my surgeon said.....scar tissue.

How can they tell if pooched area is fluid collection( seroma), scar tissue or incisional hernia? Anyone know?
vangie

Imaging can tell the difference between tissue types - ultrasound can see fluid, muscles, blood flow; CT shows fluid and tissues as different textures on the imaging... I don't know what a hernia looks like...

I sat there staring at the images and had no clue what I was looking at! You're doing better than me, Lisa!

Myofascial release will work on adhesions inside your body as well as outside. Fascia covers all of our organs, muscles ect and releasing fascia in one part of the body will also have weffect on releasing other parts too as our body works together.( short achilles tendons can cause low back and neck pain..)

There is also something called ASTYM which releases scar tissue as well. I think you just can google it and get to their web site. Looks really promising.

http://astym.com

I'm not a lady but got a hernia below belly after RC. I have several lumps above belly and doctors dont seem to be too concerned.It is noticable through a t-shirt.

lol - let's just say I am a nosy gal, constantly asking questions like "How can you tell it isn't fluid?" or "What does scar tissue look like?". Generally what I have observed is on ultrasound, fluid looks darker, tissue looks more grey... so if on the u/s screen there is a round object that seems more black than grey, chances are it is more fluid than tissue; if it is more grey than black then more likely tissue of some type. The u/s tech are trained to know what the structures are. With the u/s that I had for the blood clots I could see the way the 'round hole' that was black was the blood vessel and when the tech would squeeze my leg see the vein being squished.

With CT it is a bit the same but because the CT can 'move' through an area, say a fluid collection, so you might see the more grey as the tissue around some fluid then as the CT is advanced slowly the darkness would show up more and have a grey ring around it when looking in the middle of the area and becomes all grey again when you hit the end of the fluid collection again showing the tissue that is surrounding the fluid collection.

I had a bowel leak post op for about 12 weeks and in the beginning (especially when I was septic) it was easy to see where the bowel fluid was collecting and how it was draining from one area to another....

Whew - there is your imaging lesson for the day... lol - hope not too much info... ;-)

I had a protrusion for months at and around belly button. It has gone down but it took months. Almost a year.

can you describe this protrusion? Did you do anything to help it go away, or just time?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders