Question for non-invasive members

My urologists office just called me and of course,since I just had a Cystoscopy, my mind went racing of a positive cytology, but in fact she was just calling to tell me that my ( FISH test ) cytology came back negative, and my urologist wanted me to schedule for a IVP with scan, after my treatments were over, but before my next Cystoscopy in November. I guess it's just routine practice to make sure everything is ok in my upper urinary tract even though my FISH came back negative, so I hope it shows that my urologist is just being thorough in my care.

Has it been your experience to have an IVP scheduled every couple of years, or so ?

Thank you,
Kyle

13 replies. Join the discussion

I think the IVP's every few years are standard operating procedure. No big deal. They inject some dye in your veins and then take a bunch of pictures from a number of differrent angles. That's been my experience, anyway.

I have only had 1 scan with the IVP and that was just before I was dx with bladder cancer. Since that time I have had 2 CT Scans with no dye. My Uro schedules me every 2 years.
My experience,
All the best,
Jack

had several ivps kyle
you will be fine
thet are lookin afta you well xx

had several ivps kyle
you will be fine
thet are lookin afta you well xx

I would check into a " CT UROGRAM " rather than IVP with scan. It has become quite popular within the last year or so and gives more info than plain IVP. It looks at kidneys during the arterial phase, renal arteries and veins are also seen along with ureters and bladder / neo and or other diversion. Same IV contrast (dye) is used.
It is possible that " IVP with scan " is another term for ct urogram, although I have never heard it called that in the northeast area where I work.

Stan

Hi Kyle,

I guess since everyone with bladder cancer has a slightly increased risk of urothelial cancer in other organs, and IVP, CT urogram, or retrograde urogram might be in order periodically to check for upper tract disease. I have asked a local radiologist about these tests and he (assuming I remember right both the question and answer) prefers retrogrades for upper tract disease. Don't recall if we ever discussed IVP vs CT urogram but the main difference would be that an IVP (non CT variety) would have a continuous monitoring of the tract (which does include arterial and venous phases although I am not sure what advantage that incurs in looking for structural lesions in the renal pelvis and ureters) whereas the CT looks at specific intervals. Either way, I would think it is a precautionary measure.

jj

Plain IVP's without CT, have virtually been replaced by CT years ago. Especially since the advent of fast 16 to 64 slice helical multi-planar scanners. Not only are hypervascular renal lesions seen, but also the renal arteries and renal veins are visualized as not seen on IVP'S. Also the 3-D model obtained with CT can be rotated in any direction, the axial images along with sagittal and coronal reformated images make CT the exam of choice.
It sounds like your uro is just taking all precautions before your next cysto.

Best wishes for continued negative testing.

Thank you for responding, and it will be interesting to see what other people's uro's are ordering.
Stan, I will have to check into the CT Urogram a little closer.
JJ, I have always had, during my biopsy surgeries a retrograde pylogram. How is that different to the retrograde urogram ?
I have plenty of time to find out more before they make the appointment in November, but was just a little curious if this was a standard procedure for others.
Again, thank you for your responses.

Kyle

Kyle,

I have CTUrograms about once a year. The machine at MDA and out here is a doughnut hole thing that they run you back and forth through.

Lynda

Hi Kyle
Don't know for sure, but probably the same thing. Catheter into bladder into which dye is supplied, I presume then each ureter is cathed with dye infused and x rays taken.

jj

Kyle, my new uro told me an ivp should be done every few years to be sure the upper tract is healthy. I am also non-invasive with one true recurrence, and one suspected that was treated immediately post op. But pathology just showed non specific inflammation. But at that time he ordered an IVP as one had not been done in like 3 years

nn

I just had a CT Urogram yesterday. It was a non-event and explained as part of a complete review of my urinary tract -- I also have a set of biopsies and under the hood work next week. I believe it is precautionary for me as well -- my last cystos have been clear. I'm considering it my 50,000 mile service regimen :-)

Thanks again for the responces, and I haven't received the information through the mail yet, but it seems through researching a little that dye is sent through an IV and then a CT scan will be done.

Pat...Congratulations on the all clear cysto's, and best wishes next week on your biopsy surgery. We will be thinking of you.

Kyle

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders