Looking For Best Doctor in SF Bay Area

My sister in law was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. Her urologist is recommending she have her whole bladder removed. We are looking for the best doctors in the San Francisco bay area. Thanks for any suggestions,

stoogemom

19 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry, I do not know of anyone in the Bay area. Dr Lamm is in Phoenix and it a well known expert on bladder cancer

NancyN

Thank you NancyN for your reply. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions for us.
Stoogemom

Try this site:
http://www.ucsfhealth.org/adult/medical_services/cancer/urologic/index.html
BCAN just had their conference at this hospital.
Jack

Kirsten Greene, MD. for oncological surgery. Donna Deng for restorative urological surgery.

Joanne whitney

Just attended a conference in San Fransisco. One of the surgeons who spoke there was Theresa Koppie UC Davis, Another one was Peter Carroll at UCSF.

Al Krietzleman leads a support group in the Bay Area. I'm not sure how to get in direct contact with him but someone on this site will know how to reach him. He has a wealth of knowledge about care options.

Best wishes!

Another surgeon at UCSF is Maxwell Meng.
I will find Al Krizelman's contact info and send it to you.

Thank you everyone for your speedy replies. My sister in law did attend the event in SF last weekend. She was just diagnosed last Monday and is trying to soak up as much information as possible before she makes this important decision. I will encourage her to join your group here where I know she will recieve lots of support, love and valuable info. I am a 1 year survivor of stage 3 Ovarian cancer. We have such a fantastic support community also. That's how I came across your group. Thanks Again!
Stoogemom

Dr. Maxwell Meng @ UCSF performed my r/c in June. l thought he and his team were great. Best wishes to you.

Blaine

Like someone said earlier contact Al who heads the Bladder Cancer Support group in the area. I've spoken with him myself and just e-mailed him off the info that was on the UCSF web page for the support group. He knows the docs and from what he said it sounded like he can help cut through to get to the right one. If the BCAN event had a list of participants I'd be surprised if he isn't on that too. Best, Marilyn

Ben had his 2nd opinion at UCSF. Maxwell Meng was recommended but unavailable. He saw Kirsten Greene (surgeon) and Amy Lin (urological Oncologist). Highly recommend UCSF. Good Luck

Cathy

I live in SJ. The two best centers are UCSF and Stanford. Had my cysectomy performed by Dr. Presti @ Stanford with no complications. He is a top urologist as well as Dr. Carrol @ UCSF. I'm sure if you get ahold of Al K. as others have suggested, he'll probably give you the same advice. Al had surgery at UCSF and chemo at Stanford.
Good luck.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Steve, we are in the San Jose area also. She was going to give Dr. Presti's office a call this afternoon. Thanks again
Stoogemom

The main thing you want is a doc who does a lot of the kind of surgeries you are going to have. Many of these surgeries are complex and difficult to do, and someone who does dozens of them a year, will have a far better handle on them than someone who does 3 or 4.

NancyN

Try Dr. Peter Carroll at UCSF. My father in law saw him years ago for bladder cancer and they swear by him. I will also be seeing him for a second opinion. Best wishes for you and your family!
Carleen

I incurred a bladder cancer which could not be defeated by non-surgical therapies. We tried for over a year. It was necessary to do a radical removal of my bladder. This was performed on 10/15/2008. My follow-up tests, scans, etc, as recent as this October have been negative for any cancer.

My physician/surgeon is Kristen Greene, MD at the UCSF Cancer Center in SF. She specializes in Urological Oncology. Her assistant is Carolyn Lau, 415/353-7171, option 5. Myself, and other patients recommend Dr. Greene very highly.

Thank you again everyone. I have passed along all of your suggestions to my sister in law.

Stoogemom

You can contact Al Krizelman at al@nebraskaoriginal.com

Gene

Bringing up this post for john

Just bringing back to the top for John. John, if you read through this string you will find most all the information you are asking about. Also look at the agenda for the recent patient forum in San Francisco. Some of the physicians mentioned in this string delivered presentations at the conference.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders