How much does the bladder heal

I went today for my 3 month cysto. The Dr found more tumors that need to be removed. He said they look like the same as I have had before low grade non-invasive. One thing I do like about this Dr is they use a TV screen so I can see inside the bladder. I can see the tumors. Most of them small clusters. I can see some of the scare tissue inside the bladder from previous tumors that were removed. Really an interesting thing to see.

I have had 8 or 9 surgeries to remove the tumors. And the way it keeps going I will continue to have more. I was wondering how well the bladder heals itself? As I stated I saw inside the bladder and can see a couple of spots where there is scar tissue. I wonder how many times can a bladder take having tumors removed. Does the bladder wall become to thin? Or does it heal itself but leaves the scar tissue?

I already know my bladder is not the same as before due to the surgeries. The urgency of needing to go can come on rather quickly, and escalate to a really painful need to go in a matter of minutes. I spoke to one of my Uro's and they said due to the surgeries this was normal.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Antuck,

I don't know the answer to your question about how much surgery a bladder can withstand but I can tell you where all the restrooms are on I-90 from Bellevue to Seattle WA.

I'm experiencing the same issues with frequency and burning. It seems that my bladder has shrunk to the point where there is not much time between feeling an urge coming on and not being able to hold back. I have faith though that someday we'll regain most of flexibility we had before.

In the meantime, look for me behind the bushes. hahaha

I like this discussion.

I am awaiting my 7th TURB within 2 years and 4 months. I too, have seen existing scar tissue with the flexible cystoscope. My tumours look like little pink califlowers, low grade, non-invasive.

My last uro commented in his reports that he had removed a recurrance on existing scar tissue. Shows how determined those tumours can be.

Have you had BCG? If so how many?

I have failed at 3 courses of BCG given over a 12 month period. Next for me to help slow down the recurrances is Mytomycin given just like BCG, once/week for 6 weeks and then maintenance.

Have they tried mytomycin on you, not just post TURB in the operating room but as a cycle like BCG?

I have only had one tumor removed about 8 months ago. There is a monitor at mda where I have my scopes also and I have seen where the tumor was. I have had induction BCG and one round of maintenance. My bladder is better than it ever was now. Unless it is after BCG, everything is normal---so, I can't answer your questions. Sorry.

Lynda

I don't know for sure, but with superficial tumors if no muscle wall is removed when the tumor is and there is no damage to the muscle wall, I would think that the thickness is little affected. Most of the thickness of the bladder is muscle. however, scar tissue is neither as strong nor as pliable as original equipment so I would think there is some point of no return. But some folks have lots of recurrences treated by removal and retain the bladder.

JJ

I don't know for sure, but with superficial tumors if no muscle wall is removed when the tumor is and there is no damage to the muscle wall, I would think that the thickness is little affected. Most of the thickness of the bladder is muscle. however, scar tissue is neither as strong nor as pliable as original equipment so I would think there is some point of no return. But some folks have lots of recurrences treated by removal and retain the bladder.

JJ

Hi Andy
Sorry about all the recurrences. As I have told you before I have had 3 TURBTS and benign tumors removed during Cystos. I have been cancer free now 17 months. That is after 30 BCG treatments.
Most Uros will give mitomycin treatments if the BCG treatments have failed.
I would recommend if your insurance allows, that you see Dr. Campbell at Cleveland Clinic. He is world renowned and might be able to solve this recurrent tumor problem you have.
My bladder after the Turbts and biopsies taken is now back to normal. The areas where the tumors were removed have all healed. I carefully watched the monitor with my Uro during my last check up in March.
I wish you all the best,
Jack

Antuck,

I have only had 1 TURB which was about 18 months ago and can tell you this....I sure do miss my before TURB bladder but am forever thankful that the BCG treatments have been keeping me clear and clean.

I know the urgency issue is normal, you may want to try Vesicare or Detrol. I am taking vesicare and it has definetely helped with the bladder control and urgency problem.

Leslie

First, good luck and continued healing to you. I am so familiar with that burning urgency thing.... the only contribution I have to your question is that my squamous cell carcinoma supposedly developed because of continuous inflammation and irritation of the scar tissue (which was there, in my case from TURB s and from repeated infections)... so the only thing I wanted to tell you is not to "just be quiet and hope it goes away".. ask for those meds mentioned by the other people and also if it persists, be that squeaky wheel and make them keep checking to make sure your bladder wall is strong and ok...
healing hugs...

I have had 4 TURBS, three in a very compressed period of time. The body is great at healing, but like any organ, trauma is trauma is trauma. You can see me next to Shiz behind the trees of the interstates.

Funny how when I travel I plan a route that has several easy access restroom stops. I also carry an empty bottle in the car for the just in case scenario.

Ladyjane, I have only had two BCG treatments and no Mytomycin treatment. For what ever reason the Dr's are not that pressed about doing several treatments. I'll have to talk to my Dr about the Mytomcin and see what he has to say.

Jack - unfortunately my insurance will not allow me to travel to different hospitals. I work for a university/hospital and have there insurance. States specifically you have to use there facilities.

Shiz and Cheyenne, don't be afraid if you hear someone running up to get behind the bushes. It will probably be me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders