CT Scan-showed thick bladder wall

I am waiting to have a cystoscopy done in January. Meanwhile, I am taking a med. called Vesicare until the test. The whole bladder showed up with contrast dye that it is inflammed. I am praying and hoping for good results. I don't understand the meaning of inflammed and thick bladder wall. Can someone on this wall help me understand thru your experience.

14 replies. Join the discussion

First let me say that I am sorry you have a reason to be here but you have come to the right place for support and help.

Unfortunately, I can't explain why your bladder is inflamed but I want to ask you a question. Why are you waiting until January to have a cystoscopy? Assuming this is a simple procedure and not including a biopsy, it can be done in the doctor's office in about fifteen minutes and is virtually painless. I hope that the reason for the inflamation is a simple one but just on the chance that it isn't, I would want to have the cystoscopy done asap. Good luck to you and God bless.

Pat

I agree with Pat, why wait until january? A cystoscopy is such a simple procedure.

I am not going to share my experience up until I was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer but I can say this much...had I been a patient patient I would have not been alive today.

The urologist has me on Vesicare (?) for 6 weeks before he does the Cystoscopy. He took a urine sample and sent it away for a test that will determine if there are cancer cells in my urine. Things may move more quickly once he gets those results back. He said it might be a fissure from the bowel touch the bladder and then I would need a colonoscopy by a surgeon. I am so confused because he told me so many things. He said usually he sees on the CT part of the bladder is inflamed and that's usually cancer but never the whole bladder. What is vesicare? I have the samples he gave me upstairs so I am not sure of the spelling. I have had back pain L-5 to S-1 spinal stenosis because of arthritis and have been getting cortisone injections but it is not helping. That has been going on since July and now this. I feel very overwhelmed and it is just a blessing that God helped me find this website. Thanks for responding and listening. I have only told my husband and am waiting until I see what we are looking at.

I replied in a new post re: the cystoc (can't spell it) and why the urologist isn't doing it right away. Should I call and ask the main reason he is not doing it right away?

I was also told I had "thickening of the bladder walls" - in my case via an ultrasound rather than a CT scan. The subsequent cystoscopy showed that I had a number of papillary tumours, these were removed in a TURBT operation and the pathology proved them to be low-grade and non-invasive. You'll be fine !

Vesicare, I believe, is one of the antispasmodic drugs that help calm the bladder and decrease urgency and frequency.

Pat

Not to scare you but to be truthful, my husband was told he had thickening of bladder wall by family dr. He then went to urologist who took a look and said it looked like cancer. He then went made appt with urologist at a cancer hospital, got cystoposcy and they found two types of bladder cancer, one being rare small cell. I would definitely question why you have to wait until January and if not happy with answers, get a second oppinion, if possible with a urologist associated with cancer hospital (if there are any close to where you live). Maybe it is nothing to worry about but until you know for sure, don't wait long to find out.

Yes I agree with the above I would seek a cysto sooner. This may sound rather dumb ( Matt has teh cancer) But just a few months ago our dog went in for surgery and had a very thicken wall, Vet Dx with bladder cancer. I geuss I would say sooner better than later. Good thoughts, Teri@Matt

I called my urologist this morning and was able to get an appt. Dec.22. She said (at first) I had to wait to so long because they didn't any earlier appts. and then she found this one. Thanks for all the support.

Good to hear you got an appt., keep us posted on how you made out.

I got the cystoscopy moved up to Dec. 22nd. They said when I was at the office there were no sooner appts. and now praise God there was one. After I told my husband, he didn't seem very concerned at all. This really hurt me and I told him I would really like him to be there when I have my first cystoscopy/ The 22nd is the last day of work before the Christmas break in his office. He is trying to get it arranged and just take vacation day. Anyone out there who has had this done, is it painful? Do they apply a topical anethestic or what? I am anxious but want to know before Christmas. Thank you for your support.

Virginia Mimi to Jay

Probably most of us on this site have had a cystoscopy. I can tell you that the two I had were absolutely painless. They used a lubricant with lidocaine (topical anesthetic) and I felt nothing but a sense of fullness with the water (saline solution) that they used to fill the bladder. I was scared at the first one because I knew nothing about it and neither the doctor or the nurses gave me any info. However, as I found out, it was really nothing to be frightened about. Good luck to you and I'm glad you got your appointment moved up.

Pat

When my husband had them, they put him to sleep, don't know if it is different for women. He didn't have any pain afterwards. If you are put to sleep, you will need to have someone drive you home so might be a good idea to bring husband along or someone else. Let us know how you make out.

I would say very uncomfortable, but not painful. My urologist did insert a local anesthetic into the urethra and allowed it time to work prior to the procedure. I think for most men, the most uncomfortable part of the procedure is irritation of the prostate by the scope. I was glad it was over and also glad that my wife was with me, not that the procedure presented any problems, but it was helpful to have someone there for support when the specter of cancer was raised. Back to your original question, I think bladder wall thickening is seen on many scans and is not a specific finding as to disease. Your cystoscopy will go a long way toward explaining this abnormality.

jj

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders