cbg treatments and precautions

can anyone tell me if I should be wearing gloves to handle clothing and bed sheets etc. during the entire treatment process? Also what about transmittal of tb live virus to others taking care of patient undergoing treatment?

14 replies. Join the discussion

also is it a good idea to bleach all surfaces that the patient comes in contact with i.e. counter tops, door knobs, dishes etc?

very sorry I am talking about bcg treatments. Ooops I got my letters mixed up.

No need. In fact some on this site were told they do not need to bleach. I do and after I void out bcg I shower and put everything in a super hot wash including towels. I wipe toilet seat with Clorox wipes after I use it. I can dedicate one bathroom to me and I think exposure to air kills the bcg

Well, i found that the lavatory bowl became very stained, and needed to be bleached, I also asked my husband to use condoms as I was scared of something being transmitted to me, probably neurotic!
Never thought to use gloves for anything, but at the time I didnt know that it was BCG, we were completely naive, knew nothing, but still alive and kicking!
Lyn

We don't have the grandkids around the day of the treatment (actually, everyone stays away that day). Use bleach every time Jim voids that day - were told to pour 2 cups of bleach into the bowl the first time he voids and close the lid for 15 minutes before flushing). Use bleach wipes a lot that day.

I found on the web, a page with the following useful tips for my BCG treatments... (I am now about to go for BCG#12).
Good luck with your treatments...

Handy stuff to have on hand

I have compiled a list of what is helpful to have available and why.

Once you have the stuff, you may find the BCG Handling Blog Entry to be helpful!

Before you start, you need to dedicate one toilet as your biohazard area, dedicated to only you, for the first day at a minimum. Make it close enough to dash to from wherever you are spending time - bedrooom, home office, living room, etc. This strategy protects both you and your family.

1) For men - get a dozen brand new "tighty whitie" pairs of underwear. Even if you are a boxer guy, you will want to keep the junk held snugly in place for the day of treatment, and potentially the next day or two as well. And those boxer/briefs will slow you down when you are in a hurry - don't go there. The tightie whities will be softer if run through the wash once before use. You need at least two pairs per treatment - one for your 8 hour biohazard handling period, and one for the first night or two after. Treat these as disposable, especially the pair used during biohazard time.

2) Masculine Feminine Pads
So... Are you man enough to use "tightie whitie liners?" I had no idea such things existed. My wife suggested using some of her feminine hygiene stuff - but this process is demeaning enough - so NO GO. I suggested stuffing a small diaper (about the size of my hand) into the underwear to catch any leakage or accidents - especially at night. She found a suitable package of five, but for the same price (at Kroger - store brand) she found a pack of 52 "Guards for Men." These don't really show, except to make your abused and shrunken junk look bigger, and the embarrassment factor is offset by the safety factor - especially if the burning and urgency become unpredictable.

3) Loose, baggy, unlined gym shorts and long warmup pants
These can be found at K-Mart, Wal-Mart and some sporting goods places. Probably won't find them at Macy's or Neiman Marcus. They are cheap and therefore disposable, and most importantly they are loose, soft, and thick. These are your best choice for your outerwear, both in public and at home. Thick and absorbent, they will serve you better than boxer shorts should any leakage or drainage occur. In cooler weather you can substitute loose, baggy, warmup pants that are easy to put on and take off. Fleece for cooler outside temperatures, light cotton for summer.

4) Water in small (16-20 oz) bottles
Put these everywhere - in each bathroom, on your nightstand, and near your pill-taking station. These will help you hydrate, ease the dry-mouth, and enable you to take pills. If you have to take drugs such as Lortabs that require food, you can also put some food like crackers, cookies, or peanut butter or almond butter and a spoon, or a bowl of grapes, walnuts, or almonds at your pill-taking station. (Because sugar and starch cause glucose spikes in the bloodstream and glucose is cancer's favorite food, I have revised the instructions to avoid things like crackers or cookies and added alternatives in bold)

5) Old towels
Put these on the floor around the toilet to catch any unplanned leakage.

6) Incontinence pads
These are large, thin, flat, disposable diapers and can be hard to find outside medical places, but we found a cheap package of 18 (store brand) at our local Kroger. Use these under your sheets to protect your mattress, should the floodgates inadvertently open.

7) Antibacterial Wipes
BCG instructions universally say wash your hands and genital area thoroughly after urination, but they don't say how and with what. Antibacterial wipes are a good place to start. Be careful when selecting these - Clorox and Lysol brands are clearly labeled "not for personal use." Wet Ones antibacterial seem to be OK. Before your first treatment buy some and get the silly things "started" in the dispenser. Keep these near the toilet in your designated biohazard bathroom.

8) Box of XL rubber gloves
Good for handling your equipment and cleaning duties with the antibacterial wipes during the 8 hour biohazard period.

9) Big bottle of bleach and a 2-cup measure
Place beside the toilet for use after each urination. Be sure to rinse the measuring cup after use, to avoid bleaching things inadvertently.

10) Liquid, antibacterial hand soap
Even after using gloves, I found it comforting to wash my hands with soap and water after each episode.

11) Kitchen Timer
You need to allow the bleach to work for 15-20 minutes before flushing, so a timer can be used to remind you

12) Ribbon or other Reminder on toilet handle
The instinct to flush when arising from the toilet is very strong. Use some sort of VERY OBVIOUS reminder to NOT flush right away. I tied a spare rubber glove to the handle, providing both visual and tactile reminders.

13) Trash can liner or plastic grocery bag
Line your tiny restroom wastebasket with something. After your 8 hour toxic period it will be 2/3 full with antibacterial wipes, rubber gloves, man pads, and your once-used tightie whities. Tie off and drop in the garbage, and the restroom can be returned to general use.

pmom says it all. Great list. The only I thing I do differently is I use disposable diapers during my toxic period and if there is leakage (which happens a lot with me), I'm ruthless about tossing them in my trash bag and changing into another diaper.

Your chances of contacting the live virus into your system or others is quite rare. A really high fever would be the tale. However, watch for red eyes or painful corneas with blurred visions called uveitis. That reaction is an emergency. The bleach in the toilet water is to kill the live virus before it gets into the sewer systems and mulitplies there.

A comforting thought: The bleach routine is NOT so important. Why not?

"There has never been a reported case of a BCG infection transmitted from a patient receiving BCG bladder cancer therapy to another person." - University of Iowa researchers.

Cancer patients have too many real worries. I'd suggest you skip worrying about bleach, etc. [unless it makes you feel better, because at least you're doing SOMETHING other than just drinking and urinating]. There have been posts on this site from caregivers who nag their cancer-patient spouses to wash-down and sterilize the bathroom before anyone else can use it. Others have worn only white after BCG instillations and then tried to take their underwear to toxic-waste disposal sites. [They were frustrated when the sites wouldn't accept it.]

The quote above is from the first FAQ of a very informative and well-footnoted article from the University of Iowa Urologic Oncology Dept. Here's the link:

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/urology/research/bladdercancer/bcgint erferonalphastudy.pdf

You might want to start with the FAQ on page 13. [By the way, this article, written for bladder-cancer treatment professionals more than for patients, is one of the most informative I have found on this site. Check it out.]

BCG must be a lot safer than generally implied by postings here on the BCAN site. [This view is also supported by the use of BCG on hundreds of millions [!] of children and infants worldwide since the 1920's as a TB vaccination.]

So, why don't the BCG instructions change to drop the bleaching routine?
My theory is that, in this litigious society, mere logic or research is not going to prompt a drug company to drop a once-recommended procedure: Some ambulance-chaser lawyer would find a patient who didn't bleach and whose family member happened to get a flu. He'd sue the BCG manufacturer to collect damages for negligent instructions and aim to settle out of court, without resolving the issue.

"What's the harm" in bleaching? Probably not much, if you've got time to spare. Bleach is cheap. But please don't make the patient feel guilty that he might be threatening his family's health.

I was told that the BCG is the protein not the live virus. In any event I void into a container (one used for bed ridden patients) and I pour the bleach into it let stand a little then pour it into the bowl. I do that for the first four or five times. I was my penus and hands thourouly. Doc said that the procedure I use was OK, so far nine treatments, hope I got it right

crescenter: I could not get the link to work that you provided

Another try for that U. of Iowa link:

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/urology/research/bladdercancer/bcgint erferonalphastudy.pdf

it opens as a pdf, so you need adobe on your computer. You can try pasting it into your browser. This one just worked for me.

It is written for medical staff who mix and administer BCG, but, as a patient, I learned a lot from it.

This second link worked. Thanks, very helpful. With 11 treatments under my belt (pun intended), I thought I was pretty knowledgeable, but I learned even more from this article, and now I have more questions for my visit this Friday after reading it. Thanks again.

It happens to be a very well written article with something for everyone in the BCG loop. Since I am highly reactive to BCG and could cause me great physical damage again, I am leaning toward pure interferon for maintenace. Having had BCG , BCG w/interferon, higly concentrated mitomyicn its a wonder I can pee at all. Sometimes I use Gelnique3% cream, but it has some side effects. If I use it for a week straight I can move form holding 3oz of urine to 7oz. There was a time when I though 7oz was really small, now I feel like I could drink beer holding that much. But I have learned to get a long with 3oz and a camouflage cup in my car.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders