Blood & Clots in Urostomy Bag ???

Hi: New to this site and was wondering if anyone can relate to a recent experience I had. My bladder was removed on 06-30-2010 and after 12 weeks of chemo I have been in good shape for the last 16 months. Cancer diag was staged at 3a. Anyway this last monday I was scheduled for a 5 month scan and on the night before the scan my bag filled with blood and clots !??? I went for scan and oncologist said it looked good, no problems. My surgeon was out of town so I talked with a resident urologist over the phone and he said these things happen sometimes and don't have to be because of something bad. Just to wait until I see my surgeon in 2 weeks. Or if it happens again go to ER. Anyone ever have this happen to them and why??? thanks, Bill

10 replies. Join the discussion

Yes, so you can breathe again. When I have done work outside or have hit my stoma, can be done without really knowing it, you can have blood and clots in your bag. Since you have lived with a bag for 16 months, you know how easy it is for it to bleed when you are changing the bag. Well, you may have hit it on the side of a table or picked up something too heavy and this can happen. Since you see the surgeon in 2 weeks, I would not worry too much. I have known it to happen to others also.
Nancy

Thanks Nancy:

Since my cancer problem started with Blood and Clots, then I immediately started to think the worse, even though I'm really not prone to do so. Never had blood or clots prior to this though. Thanks again for your response.

C U,
Bill

I completely understand getting upset with seeing blood and clots. Same way I found my cancer and felt sick when I first saw it in my bag. I wish we could not think the worse but I think that is life after cancer.
I forgot to welcome you to this site and hope that you find as much information and comfort as I have here.
Nancy

Thanks for the welcome Nancy !!!

C U,
Bill

Welcome Bill -

Nancy's right, it can and does happen. Mine mostly happens during change-outs. If we get a little rough with a washcloth around the stoma it'll bleed. I've asked the doctor about it and he said it's no biggie. His comment: "It's a piece of gut and will bleed if irritated."

I'm thinking you probably bumped it or, like Nancy said, lifted something too heavy and it bled a little.

Breathe easy - it happens.

~Barb~

And it only takes a very little blood to turn the 'bag' red.

I thank you all for your input. I certainly realize that the stoma is full of blood vessels and can and does bleed a little from time to time while changing my flange, bag and wafer. But, a bag full of blood and also many clots of various sizes, to me suggests something a little different . What,...I really don't know and am anxious to see my surgeon on Oct. 24th to see what he has to say about this one incident. I am grateful that my C T Scan turned out good, but this one time (so far) blood and clot thing does have me a bit concerned. Just thought perhaps someone else had experienced it themselves.

Thanks again for your input.
C U,
Bill

Bill,
Are you still having blood and clots in your bag?
Just checking on you.
Nancy

Ni Nancy:

Actually no. It happened only one time, and that was this last Sunday evening, the night before my 5 month scan. As I said previously, my scan results were good and no one on the oncology team had a clue as to why I would have had the blood or clots in my bag. Oh well, ......perhaps we'll never know, but after 16 months post surgery and 4 months of pre-surgery pain and bleeding, clots, etc. I know the difference between a few drops from my stoma and a real bag of blood and clogs and this was the 'real thing'.

Thanks for checking in with me Nancy.
C U,
Bill

Since it only happened once, I am sure it was the same thing that happened to me. Yes, it is soooo scary. When you see blood, you think-well I won't even go there! Mine was quite red too.
Glad you have an appointment soon and it is the same day I have tests. I see my surgeon my the 26th. Will be thinking of you.
Hugs,
Nancy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders