Bladder transplant

My dad had bladder cancer back in 2000, where he had a good portion of his bladder removed. One surgeon had prepared my dad to have a bag placed on the outside of his body, which he refused at the last minute. He has treated himself for the last 9 years with vitamins and such, and is now having some problems. He is willing to have surgery, but only of having the chance at a replacement of his own dna. I haven't heard much talk in discussions since 2008. Is there any update on this procedure, and where can I get this information?

10 replies. Join the discussion

I'm not sure what you mean by a bladder transplant. If you mean the growth of a new bladder from stem cells, I don't think that has progressed to human trials as yet. If you speak of a neobladder, a continent reservoir formed from your own intestine and connected to your own ureters and urethra, then they are being done frequently, but do require that you are an appropriate candidate. If he chooses a neobladder, he should be certain that he has a surgeon skilled in the formation of this diversion. For patients that do not medically qualify for a neobladder there is an internal continent diversion (Indiana pouch) which is also formed from your own intestine and is catheterized through a small stoma to empty it. Many of us on this site are living with these two diversions as are many with ileal conduits (external bags). A large majority have returned to normal everyday function and are happy with their diversions. Best wishes,

JJ

WakeForest has grown bladders for some children with spinabifada and for some people with spinal cord injuries. I read an article not too long ago saying that they hope to try it on bladder cancer patients soon. I would probably contact them for info on this. Hope this helps.

Lynda

My surgeon told me last year that I might be a candidate of a stemcell bladder 10 years from now (I have a neo currently). My uro/onc is apparently collaborating in connection with researchers in that area.i don't think its available for bladder cancer patients currently. I do recall that my surgeon said that first there will be indiana's available as stemcell bladders.

Anna

About a year ago there was a big article in the Philadelphia Inquirer (which is on-line) about a woman who had had her bladder removed at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. It it's place they put in a new bladder that had been grown in the lab. They take the patients own stem cells and somehow grow them onto a "form" of some type that is in the shape of a normal bladder. When that procedure is completely they are able to implant this new bladder into the patient. As ISH said, they are doing this procedure of growing new bladders at Wake Forest. This is not done in a widespread manner as of yet but that is what they are hoping for in the future.

The article in the Philadelhia Inquirer was quite a lengthy one and I would assume it would still be online if you are interested. There is probably some additional information if you do a google search. I never did see a follow-up as to how the woman made out with this new bladder. Good luck to you and your Dad.

I mean that ilieal conduit is will be developed before neo in terms of stemcell research

Anna - My dad is going in for a final biopsy and is a candidate for the neobladder. He's had many reoccurences after BCG and this is probably the best choice. He's 71 and I wanted to ask you about your experience and maybe pass along your experience if that would be ok. Im not sure if you know others that might be closer to his age that have undergone it as well. I'd like for him to speak to others that have done it before he undergoes it himself. Thanks very much for anything you can share in terms of chat groups or referrals.

Hi

I recieved my neobladder last year at 41 nd I was in very good shape before I was diagnosed with bladdercancer. I have been doing exceptionally well, training for a marathon and recieving almost immediately complete continence. I look the same and i am the same as I was before cancer. Sometimes its even a littl difficult for people around me to realize that cancer has affected me because I look so (and am) so healthy.
I had one complication, intestinal adhesions which caused some bouts of bowel obstructions, I had surgery for that 7 weeks ago and I am back to normal again ie work, running, exercising and taking care of my children.
Your Dads recovery will be contingent on his current health, weight and activity levels. Premorbid factors as being a smoker, diabetic, overweight, heartdisease ect has a huge impact on ones recovery.

If I am asked about my current health I would say that I am exceptionally healthy and have much more energy and strength than most of my same aged (or even younger) girlfriends.

Good luck to your Dad.

Anna

where did you receive your neobladder??

Laboratory grown bladders have been implanted in some US patients in study trials, but they are not yet approved or available to the general public. Hard to say when that might happen.

It sounds like your dad would be happiest with a neobladder, if he meets the criteria.

I recieved my neobladder at University of Chicago by Dr Steinberg. He is an exceptional surgeon and has done over 1000 rc's. He is also on the advisory board here at BCAN.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders