Bladder Shrinkage

Hello All,

My name is Ash and My mum has recently been diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. It was at early stage ( Stage 0). She has had 1 chemotherapy session and had about 15 BCGs.

Now the treatment is over but she is having issues with her urination. She gets this burning sensation while urinating and goes after every 10-15 mins.

At her last check up, Doctor has advised her that bladder has shrank due to having BCG treatment and she should drink lots of water to increase the capacity.

Can anyone advise me if there is anything else she could do to control and if there any exercise??

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

20 replies. Join the discussion

I am having the same problems after 21BCGsMy consultant tells me this is a side effect of BCG and that the bladder does not recover.However I suggested it might make a difference if I tried to retain the water in my bladder longer thus maybe stretching it?He said it was worth a try?If you find or hear of any solutions would be glad to hear. Barbara Mc

Is it Ta or Tis?

Thanks Barbara. That's what doctor advised to mum too!

It is kind of annoying, I have been searching on internet but there is hardly any info on Bladder shrinkage : (

Thanks for your response!!

Sorry I am not familiar with these terms..What is it?

Stage 0 is non-invasive, which in the bladder can be one of two things; a papillary, non-invasive tumor (Ta) or carcinoma in situ (Tcis).

jj

Thanks JJ

It is Ta. do you anymore about side effects?

My husband has had Interstitial Cystisis (IC) and his bladder is already shrunk.

We are grappling with a BC dx and decided to do away with the BCG option and go directly with removing the bladder.

Uro did offer the option of trying out BCG but we did not see any point knowing fully well the bladder will shrink further. Just sharing our story, I am not an expert of any kind.

I, too, have been there and I am hanging on. I have had 18 BCGs. I at this point in time, feel great and doing fine. I am hoping that I will continue with cancer free biopsies. It is a rollar coaster so hang on. I may need a RC in the future, but for me I am trying my best to keep what I got. I am 70 yrs old and I dont want to start anything new. But If I have too, then I will take it one day at a time. GOD bless you all xxoo Buddy

Sorry, I don't know much about bcg as a straight to rc kind of guy. Usual ones reported seem to be fever, lassitude, painful urination sometimes with necrotic tissue fragments and blood, frequency, urgency. Others are less common.

jj

I was diagnosed with TA, Grade 3 and CIS in November of 2008. I had BCG treatments but dosage had to be reduced because of terrible reaction to treatment which caused bladder shrinkage and scarring. Urologist decided to stretch the bladder. (Hydrodistention) and remove scarring. Hope this helps you.

Hi Ash,maybe this will help a tad,I had 23 BCG installs,(ouch X 10),my bladder cap.went down to 70/100 mls,with frequent urination,my last BCG was in June 2011,its (bladder) just about back to normal and my cap.is now 400 mls,which due to the scarring etc is OK.I dont have any side effects now but did up to quite recently,so it takes time to get better,the BCG has (so far) worked for me,but was very painful even at reduced dose,but worth the hideous pain.We are all different so it will effect us in different ways.Oh yes Cayenne pepper helped smooth the bladder take it on bits of rye toast for brecky,along with 3 X half teaspoons of baking soda a day in water (yuck).Cheers John Leigh.

My urologist did not guarantee that the bladder stretching would work, but it was worth a try and so far it has worked. Ask your doctor about bladder stretching. It's worth a try. Good luck

Hi Healthmum1,I did ask my uro this,his reply was as by bladder is 'slowly' normalising he did not recommend this procedure at this time,as there could be a lot of pain and not much gain,as I dont like going under I shall take hid advise.I have had all my cysto's done cold turkey as its good to see the inside of the bladder,he does use a local gel to take the edge off a bit.Cheers John.

Hello Buddygramma,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Did you have frequent urination (BCG side effect) while you were being diagnosed? this has been a real problem for my mum as it has been going on for months.

Do you have any suggestion on that or any home remedy that can help her to improve her control over her urination.

Thank you so much in advance

Ash

Hello John Leigh,

Thank you so much for the information, really helped a lot.

Do you have any suggestion/Excercise on that or any home remedy that can help her to improve her control over her urination. She had her last BCG instillation in January so I am hoping that her urination will back to normal in next few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Thank you in advance

Ash

Thanks Healthmom1.

Hi Ash,
Yes I did, and the more I got the more painful. So ask the doc for some medicine. I use pyridium and/or vesicare for the frequency and pain. Now that it is over, hang in there. It does get better. I would say that I drink lots of water. 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon a day. I walk as much as I can, I try to be active. My last BCG was Oct 2010. I still have days when a small pain will come and I drink more water and maybe take pyridium (it can be bought over the counter). I also, try to hold it just a little bit longer each time. Hang in it does get better. xxoo Buddy

Buddygramma,

Thanks!!! I feel a lot better after talking to you. I will try to find out these medicines you have mentioned.

Ash

Since my 21 BCGs which did not work but very painful have been put on a treatment with mytromyocin.So far had 3 treatments and am finding it is giving me more pain and frequency than the BCG waking every hour through the night has anyone had this treatment following BCG failure and if so does It get any better after treatment has finished.

I was to get 6 more BCG treatments, but my doctors moved from NY to Calif. I had 3 substitutes since 2010. I have decided to travel to Syracuse and find a long term doctor. Like it or not, I know I will need to be watch and check and tested for the rest of my life. So, in April, I meet my new doctor. Hopefully, we will love each other and be on my merry way. I have found some much support here that I check Inspire all the time. TY all. xxoo Buddy

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders