BCG Treatment Side Effects

I had my first BCG tx last week and had no side effects. I have my 2nd tx tomorrow (1/12). What should I expect? Flu systems the same day or perhaps a few days afterwards? Has anyone gone through treatments without adverse reactions??
Thanks!
Judy

35 replies. Join the discussion

My first 6 treatments were wholly uneventful. No side effects at all. However, side effects started and got worse with each subsequent treatment. Next day urnination pain and extreme urgency lasted a few days at first, but now after my last bcg, number 18, I had extreme urgency and bladder heaviness, for lack of a better description, for weeks after treatment. Plus, the initial evacuation of the bcg was painful and tissue in urine stopped up urine flow for 45 minutes....sorry to ramble, but needless to say, I am not looking forward to my next round in April. It's better than more tumors though is my thinking. Keep the faith.

I had no adverse symptoms suring my initial first six week treatment. Maintenance is a little more involved! Good luck with the bcg.. Bladder Cancer Gone!
slc : )

Thanks so much. It helps to talk to someone who's been there. Anything is better than surgery! Congrats on no cancer!

Thanks....that's encouraging. Want to avoid surgery at all costs!

I had virtually no side effects at all. This is with the possible exception of some irritation. I think this was due to catheter insertion rather than the BCG.

I would generally have the treatment in the afternoon, go back home and try to lay still for 2 hours. After that, I would start the urinating and drinking process which lasted about another 2-3 hours. By the next morning I was fine.

I've gone through my first 3 month cysto and so far all is clear.

Good luck with your treatment.

Ralph congratulations on the all clear.

Judy, my husband didn't have side effects other than the burning until the 5th or 6th treatment....then the fatigue got him....

Thanks for sharing! I have my next BCG in an hour. So far, this is much better than surgery!
Judy

Thanks everyone for your help!
Judy

Please keep me updated, I start my first BCG Friday the 14, and since you're one step ahead of me, I would like to keep in contact. My fingers and toes are crossed for your continuing no side effects. We can worry about maintenance treatments later. Do you have Ta or..........

I had the same experience as Ralph113. Virtually no adverse reaction. maybe a bit of the chills the first night after the treatment but that was it. I have not been told of a "maintenance period". I did have a cystocopy 6 months after I completed the BCG treatment and it was "clean". Seems like I am being treated much less aggressively than most on here. I am concerned and have a call into MSK to speak with my Doc.
Good luck to you and the remainder of your treatments.

I had 6 treatments of BCG last spring with no side effects. After followup cystoscopy/biopsy, had 3 maintanance treatments in Aug. again no side effects Next cysto showed worsening condition, so in for another outpatient biopsy. BCG didn't work for me. Just started neoadjuvant chem 10 days ago w/ carboplatin and etoposide. Followed by neulasta shot. Hoping to keep small cell cancer for progressing. Currently into the muscle layer. 10 morde days to next round. Tentatively scheduled for R/C March 24. Of course everything depends on how chemo goes and the followup cysto, scans and other tests. Good luck with your BCG. Hope it works for each of you who are just beginning or starting, continuing your maintanance.

I had horrible side effects from BCG w/Interferon. After the second installation I had to skip a week, then again after #4. After #6 I had horrible "general mailaise" for close to three weeks.

My husband has had 24 treatments of bcg and bcg plus interferon. He did experience side effects and each week became progressively harder. These included burning, frequency of urination, sweats, flu like symptoms, low grade fever and awful fatigue. However, he was able to get through it each time and is so grateful to not have had to turn to surgery so far. Another set of treatments is set for March. Good luck and I hope you continue to have little or no side effects.

Suzie

Mine started last June with 1 tumor. Surgically removed and had 30 more tumors 3 months later at post op check up. Had those removed and mitomycin after surgery. Had severe reaction to mitomycin...never again. Just had second BCG today. No symptoms thus far. Nurse said I may have fever, flu symptoms for a day.

Thanks again for all the replys. They were very helpful!

I wish my husband could have BCG. His uro was going to do it, but test results from the scan he had to go through showed urine relux on the left side all the way back to the kidney. On the last resect he had in July, one of the tumors was covering the left orifice. Removing the tumor damaged it causing the reflux.

Hi
I have been very lucky and hardly had any side effect and I have had 15 now. A bit burning sensation when going to the toilet after the 2 hours, but as long as I drink plenty of water it eases off during the rest of the day. Sometimes feel a bit tired towards the last BCG but apart from that I am fine. Hope it works out for you. Take care Carol

Yeaaaa ! ! Glad to hear if only for my own selfish reasons of hoping I don't get any side effects. So, did you do the whole 6hrs of drinking and voiding with no burning ?????Bleach in toilet....do you stay in hospital, drive yourself....how far are you from the hospital.. Lots of questions, I know, but............right now my anxiety level is very high. Thanks for all your info...and again great news....onward and upward.

My hubby had his 4th BCG treatment yesterday and is snow skiing today..he has been feeling pretty good after each treatment. He will complete the treatments the end of the month and then a one month break and start the maintenance program of 3 weeks more BCG and on and on. Of course, he will have cystoscope before the next go around. We are very hopeful but each time expect the side effects to increase as warned. Mostly so far he has just had general malaise. Good luck and will keep you in thoughts and prayers.

Judy,

My first 2 BCG treatments were uneventful. The third I had mild flu symptoms and a mild headache. 4 - 6 I had just a mild headache. I always had minor burning the first night. I always did my treatments on Friday so I would have the weekend to recover if needed - never really had any affects last more than 24 hours.

Cheers and good luck on the remaining treatments. Sounds like you are doing well.

Ken

no side effects but,,it did not work...just had 6 weeks mitomycin..maybe it will work

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders