BCG and bleach

How long after the BCG does your doctor have you put bleach in the toilet? Mine has told me for 24 hours but on the internet, I have seen different instructions. Is 24 hours really necessary? Thanks.

21 replies. Join the discussion

My instructions say within 6 hours after the first void - three to four sitting down bathroom trips! I am taking 50% BCG Dose if that matters! good luck with treatment.

We only did the bleach thing for 6 hours. We left the bleach in the toilet for 20 minutes each time after voiding then flushed. We received a packet of information on this from our Uro.

My instructions also said six hours. Left the bleach in the toilet for 15 to 20 minutes before flushing.

I have been putting Chlorox in the bowl after each void for 15 minutes or so and doing this over a period of no more than six hours. It also depends on any burning after each void. Actually today will be the sixth BCG treatment. Can't wait until it is over.

Mine were the same as other, bleach after each void for 6 hours.

The information i received was 6 hours and leave 15 minutes before flushing!
slc : )

Thanks so much. Everyone is saying 6 hours so that cuts down a lot on what I need to do to be safe with the bleach routine.

Six hours for me too. And most likely the six hour number is longer than truly needed: it probably includes an extra safety buffer.

I imagine that the vast majority of the virus is flushed from the system with the first void, a second/third void should pretty much rid the bladder of it.

24 hours seems like overkill to me (and a lot of stinky bleach!).

Whinny2, thanks for asking this question and for all those who responded as I will begin BCG treatment starting Monday. My instructions also say use chlorox for flushing for 6 hours and allow to remain in toilet bowl for 15-20 minutes before flushing. I am feeling a little apprehensive about this procedure and all information is helpful.

Kathleen

I had BCG in the early days and it was 24 hrs. but I believe the most common today is 6 hours.

I was told to do the bleach for 6 hours. Hope all is going well for you. Take care Carol

20 minutes after each void for 5-6 voids or about 4-6 hours after the first. It depends on the amount opf fluids you drink. If you load up on the water and your voids are large then the system gets flushed faster. With smaller voids there is more bacteria to be present.

What the others said, 15-20 minutes after each void for 6 hours.
I now HATE the smell of bleach. Go figure. :-)

My uro told me it really wasn't necessary- just to be on the safe side, I had a separate bathroom installed-
(just kidding) but seriously, I have not used bleach at all, and I have had over 50 bcg's-
(I do have my own bathroom however-)
The TB virus is attenuated, so there is less to be afeared from.
Best of luck-
Tony

My husband had 27 BCG's and his instructions were bleach in toilet for 15-20 min. for the first 6 hours after the first void. He also wore gloves and disposed of them every time he went. Thoroughly wiped every surface down with bleach after 6 hours and changed clothes. I did not use his bathroom until after it was cleaned. Avie

While we're on this topic, I have a related question: for the first hour or more after my first void, I have so much burning, spasms and urgency that I am on the toilet literally every 7-10 minutes (I time it with my running watch) so each void doesn't have time to be treated for the full 20 minutes. Usually, I just keep adding bleach and wait to flush until the spacing gets a little longer. Like a few others here, I figure the bleach is just an extra precaution, but what would you do?

i think because of splash protection it is a good idea, it is also a good idea to wipe down the seat and under seat, and bowl rims with a bleach wipe

How does bleach affect one's septic system?

I wouldn't think too adversely in the volume used with the dilution by water in the system. Since most use some bleach in clothing and wash water goes into that system, I think.

jj

I did not go home after my BCG treatments because my husband was concerned about the volume of bleach going into the septic system. I stayed with a friend who has a city sewer hook up in another town. It was no big deal since I timed the treatments for the days I would be staying in the southern part of NH anyhow - I am a part time telecommuter who spends two to three nights a week scrounging sleeping space from friends and relatives when I need to physically be in my office! But if you normally use bleach in laundry (I don't) then you just have to think about how much more bleach you are adding and if the system can handle it. You are probably fine.

I also have a camp with an outhouse. I didn't even dare ask what I should do if I wanted to head there after treatments!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders