A full night's sleep with a condom catheter?

Hi all. I've been looking for options of what I can do to get a full night's rest. I can never sleep more than four hours to do the fact that I have to urinate so often. My bladder is functional, although it only holds 400 ml, so I was a little leary about using a conduit. I recently heard about condom catheters. My question is whether I would be able to sleep through the night with one on or would the urgency to urinate still come into play and wake me up? If anyone can speak these circumstances, I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

4 replies. Join the discussion

Tim,

I think you might like the condom cath so you do not have to get out of bed but am betting you will still be awakened. I think it is worth a try.

When I had a conventionally placed foley my system still tried to be continent and my sleep was very disturbed. After the placement of the SP I was able to sleep all night unless the SP obstructed which was frequently in my case as my bladder was bleeding constantly.

I have never used a condom cath but it is clear that it does not effect your normal urinary retention, continence or elimination so I can see no reason that it would effect the sensations which wake you in a positive way.

Best. Scott

Thanks Scott. That's kind of what I was thinking. I really need something that's going to make that urge subside. I think the SP tube is really the best alternative and the necessary one. Thanks for all the information you've given me. Talk to you later.

Tim,

Is having to get up to void during the night causing you problems? For me, I was suffering from fatigue, so at the recommendation of someone here, I learned I was interrupting my REM sleep, so once I adjusted my time to get up, my fatigue problem was solved.

The only caution I would give you on using a condom cath is you may be setting yourself up to give up you nighttime continuance because you will be training your body to ignore signals. I don't like getting up in the middle of the night either, but I feel this is a small price to be cancer free.

Just my two cents. I hope some others that have some thoughts on this and maybe someone that is actually using a condom cath will weigh in on this.

Good luck on your decision,
Ken

You can definitely get more rest with the Condom catheter. I would wake up in the night due to weight of Resevoir and drain. Time is the only thing with the incontinence issue.With the depends I was awakened regularly to change,not the condom catheter.I went for electrical therapy for the incontinence and on second visit incontinence stopped during the day but not at nite.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support BCAN

Help the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network

Discussion topics

Walk for Bladder Cancer May 3rd

Walk for Bladder Cancer

Resources from BCAN

BCAN on Facebook

Like the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network on Facebook

Community leaders