Why do doctors lie? Can someone explain it to me?

So I was referred to a neurologist for possible MS. I do have some neurological symptoms, but I don't think I have MS. I went to the neurologist and he did an exam. While we were talking he was surprised that I have had positive ANA, SSB in the past with pulmonary nodules, but nobody has done any biopsies. When he was done with the exam, he said that he didn't think it was MS either, but wanted to do some blood work to test for a few things including myasthenia gravis, antiphospholipin syndrome, and redo the SSA and SSB. He said "call back in 3 weeks" Well about 1 week after I saw him, I was back in the town that I saw him (which is 45 min away) I thought I would stop by the hospital and get whatever results were back. I knew not all of them would be back, but I knew some of them would be. So I went to medical records. The SSA and SSB were back and very positive. The thing is that I don't have any symptoms of sjogren's, but I've looked those tests up and they can mean a few other diseases too. So I waited 2 more weeks and then called the doctor's office yesterday.
Now I don't like to lie, but doctors sometimes get upset if you already get results before they tell you, so usually I don't tell them I've already gone to medical records in the hospital and have looked at the results. This way I can come with questions prepared specifically for what I saw on the blood work.
So I call the doctor's office yesterday and they send me back to the nurse. She looks the blood work up and says, "It looks like everything came back okay" I thought to myself "hello, I know some aren't" I didn't want to speak up though and say, "i already got some and I know they are positive" so I just asked her to please send me a copy of the results.
I am so frustrated. This is why I haven't gotten a diagnosis. Doctors tell me things are okay, then when I request the records or doctor's notes later, They state they think I've got this or that. They never said anything like that to me before.
Anyway I'm starting to ramble, just frustrated. Can anyone explain why doctors do this. I guess I'll wait for results to come, then call back and say in a very nice way, "hello some of these are positive, can anything be explained by the symptoms I have?"
Thanks for the support.
Aly

13 replies. Join the discussion

CALL AGAIN TELL THEM YOU WANT THE RESULTS OVER THE PHONE- YOU BASICALLY ALREADY PAID FOR THEM - I HATE WAITING. BESIDES IF THEY ARE POSITIVE - THEY SHOULD CALL YOU BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT. WHO'S LIFE IS IT ANYWAY ? YOU GO THERE FOR ANSWERS- GET THEM !!! CALL AND TELL THE NURSE THAT YOU ARE CONCERNED AND THAT YOU WANT THE DR. TO KNOW IF ANY TEST COME BACK POSITIVE YOU EXPECT A PHONE CALL BY THE END OF THE BUSINESS DAY. YOU SEE IF YOU DON'T SPEAK UP- YOU HAVE TO WAIT. I PERSONALLY THINK IT IS CRUEL TO MAKE SOMEONE WAIT FOR RESULTS EITHER WAY. A GOOD DR. ALWAYS CALLS- THEY SHOULDN'T BE TO BUSY TO MAKE YOU WAIT FOR ANSWERS. IT'S NOT FAIR. GOOD LUCK !!!

thanks for the advice. I just don't get why they are staring at the results and telling me they are negative when I know they aren't.
I just got the copy in the mail on Saturday and sure enough I have positive results. I don't get it.

THEY INFORMED YOU BY MAIL? DOESN'T ANY ONE HAVE COMPASSION ANYMORE? ATLEAST IF HE CALLED YOU DIRECT - HE WOULD BE UPFRONT & HONEST. II WOULD GET A NEW DR. NICE BEDSIDE MANNER. I HAD A DR. YELL AT ME BECAUSE I ASKED HIM A DIRECT QUESTION AND HE COULD GIVE ME THE CORRECT ANSWER. I JUST ASKED WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN TALK TO ME THAT WAY? HE DOES'T EVEN KNOW HE HAS BEEN REPLACED. I CAN'T BE BOTHERED. WE CAN REALLY EDUCATE OURSELVES W/ THIS COMPUTER. THEY NEED TO UPDATE THEMSELVES PERIODICALLY. YOU NEED A DR. YOU CAN COUNT ON - ONE YOU CAN BE OPEN & HONEST WITH. I'VE ALMOST BEEN AROUND FOR 50 YEARS AND I HAVE ONLY MET TWO DOCTORS I'VE FELT GREAT WITH. THEY ARE BOTH FROM INDIA I BELIEVE. ANYWAY FEEL FREE TO WRITE BACK ANYTIME. GOOD LUCK !

I NOTICED IF YOU PUT THE DIAGNOSIS IN WITH YOUR CITY & STATE YOU CAN GET LUCKY PULLING UP THINGS W/ LOCAL DOCTORS. TRY IT. GOOGLE IT

Thanks I'll try it. I just get so tired of fighting with doctors. I'm just going to take the results with me to see a new rhuematologist I see in Octobor.

Aly81,
I recently had a similar experience where my doc lied to me about biopsy results over the phone, giving me good news only to take it back when I went in to the office for a followup visit. Then he told me the results were inconclusive and lied to me about what my risk factor was. I know he lied about that too, because one of his employees "ratted him out". I went through this about 4 times in a row, with 3 different doctors (I had a whole series of tests and procedures). My medical situation was quite different than yours, but I was lied to just the same, so I completely understand your frustration. Apparently, it's pretty common for docs to keep the truth from us. I don't know why. Maybe they think they're somehow doing us a favor by saying everything is OK. But for me it was really horrible to keep getting good news only to have it taken back each time. I don't think I will EVER be able to trust ANY doctor again. I guess they don't realize how much worse dealing with an illness is when you can't trust your doctor. Sorry to be so long-winded... I don't mean to rant, just want to let you know that you're not alone in this. I think all we can do as patients is confront them about it, and tell them how we feel about their dishonesty. I hope everything works out OK for you. I've also dealt with autoimmune diseases and know how frustrating they can be too, sometimes they're really difficult to diagnose... all the mopre reason you need a doc you can trust!

Aly, I have had similar issues and now I insist I going to the Dr.'s office for a visit to discuss the results... for the last 38 months I have gone thru similar issues with doctors (expecially neurologists-coincidence?) and I would then switch to another until I found a trustworthy one. I ALWAYS ask, what does this positive thing mean? may I see the lab sheet? what is considered normal?, things like that and make them take whatever time I NEED. You are your best advocate, don't let medical professionals bully you... I think they withhold information because misdiagnosing someone can lead to lawsuits which raises their malpractice premiums, also, mistreating some disorders can lead to life threatening issues so they usually wait for something concrete before continuing. By the way, Sjogrens can cause neurological symptoms very similar to MS..I have Sjogren's and it presented in my peripheral nervous system first and then worked it's way around. Good luck and God Bless! Rich...

This happened so many times in the 2-3 yrs it took to get diagnosed with sarcoidosis. Tests would say inflamation present in stomach, small intestine, esophagus, etc, I was so trusting and couldnt figure out why I felt so bad. I never knew because no one told me. I learned my lesson the hard way. Not anymore. I ask for copies of everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. be it a report on a test or labwork anything. I have a folder with all my medical tests results and lab work and put the pages in plastic covers, divided into sections such as GastroIntestinal, Rheumatologic, Pulmonary, etc. that way when I see the doc I can easily reference whatever we are talking about and it isnt so easy to brush me off. Some doctors are impressed some think im a nut but one thing i am not is a dope that just trusts anything these greedy buggers tell me. Advocate for yourself, no one else is going to. peace always
Kristopher

Please read my latest journal entry from today. I had to fire a doc last week, first time I'd ever done that. And I'm glad I did! I saw my new endocrinologist today, so as an addendum to the prior journal entry, it was discovered that my tumor had grown another 1.6 centimeters in just a few weeks. Go with your gut instincts. Have your facts ready like you did, but demand something to be done, SPEAK UP, because it's often just another day, another patient, to the clinicians and docs. Don't be meek. What I had done may well have saved my life! Don't go home and WAIT for another phone call. You are a consumer, this is your body, and with the money you are paying into this, you deserve the service promised to you! Take care, and I'd love to here any feedback in the near future. Lots of hugs
onward

Hi Aly- I can give you some possible explanation for why you may think they lie. I work in the medical field and i too am being worked up for an autoimmune disease- not qualified now it is mixed connective tissue. Anyway, doctors like to tell you in person test results so if you need support, or additional questions, etc.... they can answer. When is your next appointment with the doctor? I would advise you to express your emotions to him, but in a non threatening way-

i will keep you in my prayers

Why can we not bring legal action against doctors who lie? Being dishonest about one's health and well being, while allowing conditions to worsen simply so they can generate greater profits, is at least malicious if not a criminal offense!

I believe that if they know we have this option against them they will learn to be more mindful of what they say.

I had a doctor tell me im a bad patient i wentback for few times now looking for new doctor . i think auto immune diseases are so hard to understand that some doctors guess . and dont want to be told when they'er wrong at all. im sick od doctors

my rheumatologist just tends to act like he knows everything, but he's specifically said to me in the beginning that he's never treated someone w/DM before. he questions all the symptoms i tell him i'm having like i'm making it up or something? i've talked to lots of other people w/DM & my symptoms are exactly in line with theirs no difference. it's really difficult b/c i want to push for more answers from him, but feel like i have to walk this tight rope of massaging his ego while thinking "you're an idiot!"
he's the only rheumatolgist i have access to on my health care though so i'm stuck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders