Veins Rising to the Surface? Anyone else?

I have a diagnosis of UCTD (Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease).

The worst of this started in February/March of this year. I get severe pains in my hands (which has graduated to my arm or entire legs) and the veins rise up to the surface with some swelling.

You can always tell which part hurts me most just by looking at my arms or legs. See the veins, there's the pain!

I am frustrated that nothing the doctors have given me thus far has helped treat it or manage the pain.

I am on Plaquenil 400 mg per day, Neurontin 1500 mg per day and assortment of vitamins because I am very deficient in several.

I am just worried that whatever this is could be causing damage to my veins or tissue underneath it. Does it sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for replying!

12 replies. Join the discussion

When I first read your journel, I thought no never noticed anything like that. Yesterday however my hands were really bothering me I looked at my knuckles and sure enough the veins on my knuckles were huge. I could of drawn blood from them... LOL Jan

Wow, this is interesting. At one time I had asked my PC doctor that I noticed the veins in my hands were really up there, what did she think it was? she said some people have more fat on their hands then others and the veins are noticed less. I said I don't remember them being so bulging, and yes, my hands did hurt. I will bring this up to her next time. My hands right now are normal and they don't hurt.
I also have veins in my legs, and when they hurt, my veins stand out too. I usually have to raise them up or put on support hose.
I didn't correlate the pain with the veins standing on end when it came to my hands, thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Nima

Yes on swollen angry veins. Sometimes my veins are so irritated that they will spasm and eject a needle at a blood draw. It's always an amusing look of shock on the face of the techs. When they are inflamed, IV's burn like fire. When they are calm, they cannot be seen. I have been treated with several drugs, but the only ones that have been really effective are high doses of prednisone or rituximab. I took 400mg plaquenil for almost 10 years. I also have Raynaud's that flares up at the same time. Best wishes, Fran

I also did better at high doses of Prednisone! The pain was still there but it was a bit less! Crazy!

Glad it's not just me!

hi - the veins stand out over areas of heat and inflamation. I have RA and the veins look fit to bust over the jpoints that are hurting and swollen. I also have raynauds - the veins seem to disappear when my feet and hands get cold.

Seems to me that many doctors cant make basic connections!

I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see a positive RF. It runs in my family, although it seems like I have symptoms of Sjogren's too. Anyhow, it really is amazing that the docs don't use that little bit of info to help determine things.

I also get swelling (like big swelling) above the joints. For example an inch above my wrist, I can get a large lump, as though the whole area is inflamed, but not on the wrist joint itself.

I have had the lumps elsewhere in my body, hands, shoulder, thigh, above ankles etc... This swelling is in the area above the veins bulging and looking angry and where the pain is... I just wish they had better answers for me and a magic wand to wave...

-AKR

LOL...I call myself THE HULK because my veins bulge so badly it's gross...right now they seem calm, but on a bad day, you can practically see every vein in my body. They hurt when they bulge too much. Alot.
I don't know what helps it, but right now it feels like my hips are broken. Do other people have hip pain, too??
Laura

Lauraz,

I too have hip pain, although my ankles and hands are by far the worst. It has progressed further up my limbs and now I have knee, hip, elbow and shoulder pain. It is worst in my shoulders right now. When it is in my hip, it feels as though someone has stabbed a dull knife into the joint of my hip (through the behind) and I feel just sick. I really hate this pain but think the Plaquenil is starting to help a bit?? (HOPEFUL!)

This is a new symptom for me. Never had this before. My veins are huge right now in my hand(right) hand to be exact. It hurts real bad and don't want to call the doctor. cuz mine already look at me like a hypochondriac. So far i have been dxed with sarciodosis, SLE/MCTD is still in question. It's throbbing me right now and don't know if i should mention it or what? Is there any treatment for this? I already take a bunch of meds as is. I'm on 5mg of prednisone, Elavil, Ambien, Inhaler(flo-air), Fiorcet/codiene and vitamins. What is this, and how long does it lasts? Thanks in advance!

Love,Markell

Markell,

I have NO idea what it is, and no one seems to be concerned, BUT the people who have their veins bulging and HURTING like mad!!! I did not see any improvement with the Prednisone (high dose taper) but I am hoping that the Plaquenil does the trick. I know how awful it is. Mine are worse with activity, so the more active I am the worse it is. I also notice that if I get very cold or hot, it is worse. So I keep gloves on hand always so I can keep my hands warm. I know the pain meds help some but it's not the best-as it doesn't really give that much improvement. I will say that this happens in my feet/ankles too and when it is bad I can't walk.

I wish I had more answers for you!

*HUGS*

AKR

That's okay you're helpful enough! Being that you have so much to deal with yourself:{ I'm just starting this new pain. Seems like every couple of months there's something new. Pain that is. I am so tired of medication. Specially when it's doing nothing to me but making me seem to hurt or have more problems.
Ugh! I just took the gloves off cuz the tips of my finger finally defrosted.LOL It doesn't last to long though. I'll be putting them back on in a couple of hours or sooner. Do you find that the majority of the time your pain is worse closer to bedtime? Even with meds?
Then sometimes i don't have to do anything and still be in a considerable amount of excruciating pain:{ Bad enough to where you just want to jump out of your own body and jump into someone elses. Like the people who says"You look so good to be sick".LOL
Hope you are having a slightly low or no pain evening. I'm here whenever you want to talk.

Love,Markell

I have R.A. and get those too sometimes.My knuckles are permenantly swollen largely.it is what it is I guess.Very painful alot of the time.ugh.But that's what r.a. is about unfortunately,chronic pain.
The veins in my feet are coming to the surface too but not swollen,more varacose like.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders