Upper Eyelid Swelling - need help

I have Sjogren's syndrome and Fibromyalgia. I have many problems but the one that has been getting worse and unruly lately is the upper eyelid swelling. the swelling gets worse as the days go on and it gets to the point of pushing my eyes shut. it also is very sore and if i end up tearing, the tears are painful and feel like poison.
I have been scouring the internet and i can't seem to find any data to help relieve this, even symptomatically. I do get acupuncture weekly and sometimes it helps and other times it doesn't but i was hoping some of you other folks may have some insight or suggestions on how to help...i hope...

8 replies. Join the discussion

Check out this website: http://www.sjogrens.org/home

There is a condition for those of us with Sjögrens called - blepharitis a common condition in Sjögren’s that causes chronic inflammation of the eyelids and eyelid margins.
Treatment is warm compresses, lid massage and lid hygiene. If the blepharitis is acute, you might need a prescription antibiotic ointment.

Hope this helps . . . Caryn

When I have any sun exposure I have the same reaction. I ended up in the hospital this week IV steroids and pain meds got the swelling and pain under control Be sure to protect your eyes when outide

This happened to me last year. I called 2 of my doctors and only the eye doctor had the answer that worked for me. He asks if I consumed caffeine....to cut out all caffeine...that it would go heal and go away.
I hate to hear those kinds of answers (lol) ...sooo...I figured it was worth a try. I cut out my DP and coffee and it cleared up completely in just a few days.
Hope this can help.
Blessings, Sherrie

Antihisamine ? Hydrocortisone .

I know that for me the Sjorgens is closing off facial pores and my eyes do swell..It sounds more like you have Blepharitis and this definetly needs antibiotic ointment.The only time water comes from my eyes is when the lids dry to eyeballs and once in a blue moon I can actually cry-rare and frustrating to not have that outlet..

thank you all for writing. so kind of you to take the time. been meaning to write back. i had a full work up from 2 opthalmologists - i do not have blepharitis. i do have blepharospasm which causes the nerves in the upper eyelid to weaken so it is very difficult to keep them open at times. lately this week the swelling is so bad that i am stuck at home with my eyes shut from the time i come home till the time i wake back up the next morning. the only solution the eye dr. had was botox - which, funny enough, would make your eyelids droop for about a month...solving the problem by worsening the problem..not really interested in that. i guess i have no solution to this one. i hope this goes away at some point...it is horrible to have your eyes forced shut and painful all the time..thanks for all you generous suggestions..take care, r

HI I have sarcoid and fibro,Ive had many problems with my eye its the left one.Ive have blepharitis it does make the eyelid swollen I have to wash it and put drops and ointment in it every day.I do know that I also have problems with chronic dry eye its very common with peolpe who have any autoimmune disease.Look into seeing a eye doctor of also is knowledge with autoimmune diseases.I know how you feel its very frustrating.

Wash your upper eyelid with a solution of very warm water with baby shampoo. gently massage along the lash line to help disolve the lubricant secreted by the meibomian glands in the upper eyelid. put a lubricating eyedrop into the eye before you do this so that the thickened secretion can disolve as it can sometimes be thick enough to cause discomfort kinda like a scratch.
use preservative free lubricating eyedrops repeatedly throughout the day and night. I use Refresh liquidgel at bedtime which helps prevent my upper eyelids from sticking to my eyes.
in severe cases, punctal plugs can be implanted into the drains in the corner of the eye to help keep what little fluid the eye makes on the surface of the eye longer. I use theratears lubricating eyedrops during the day.
if you have sjogren's syndrome, the topical eyedrop Restasis can be prescribed which treats the inflammation of the lacrimal gland which is not producing the fluid portion of the trear film. this burns like heck for the first few weeks as it heals the surface of the eye. it can take up to six months of use before you can see results from this medication.

for sarcoidosis, Methotrexate works to heal the lacrimal gland. restasis seems to have no benefit.
Methotrexate is used as a corticosteroid sparing approach to the inflammatory eye disease such as uveitis etc.

wish you the best,
Mike Bartolatz

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders