Multiple Family Members with Autoimmune Diseases

Not even a year since the first diagnosis of the first child.
I have 4 children, 3 of whom have been diagnosed.
After researching, all these conditions come from my side of the family, which is making this hard on me.

First, my 8yo daughter was diagnosed with Vitiigo.
Next, my 10yo son has Tourette's Syndrome
then my 8yo twin daughter had Spontaneous Eccymosis

I have a family history of Arthritis Rhematoid & Psoriatic
also Endometriosis and Thyroid. As well as the usual diabetes high blood pressure.

I am wondering if all these diseases can be umbrella'd under 1 main disease or symptoms of one

We have an appt tmw, and I am hoping we can get a referral to a Genetic dr to get to the bottom of this...

2 replies. Join the discussion

I have multiple family members with various autoimmune diseases. I have been told that under the umbrella of autoimmune diseases , these diseases run in families, but each family member will not necessarily have the same disease as others. There are 80 to 100 autoimmune disease depending on who you talk too, but any one family member might have one, more or another of these diseases. I have polymyositis. My other family members who have autoimmune disease have different ones. I have been told that no one knows how or why these diseases start. There are theories about the origin of these diseases, but the testing of these theories have not led to any conclusions. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your response, We were not referred to a Genetics dr like I asked but went on to do further testing on my daughter with Eccymosis. Which turned out to be Von Willebrand Disease.

The problem is that I have suffered Chronic Nausea for 2 yrs now and I dont think any of the autoimmune diseases would cause this.
Although I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroid I dont think this is the cause as well.

I guess we'll just have to wait it out. thanks again

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders