Low C3 and C4

I have been officially diagnosed with undifferentiated connective tissue disease. My first tests 3 years ago showed a positive ANA then a positive SCL-70. Repeat SCL-70 has been sometimes positive but since negative. We "waited" to see where it would go. Since then I have had neurological episodes, 2 seizures, and a bout of left side weakness a year and a half ago. I have since been on Keppra for seizures and now plaquenil for UCTD. I consistently have a low C3 and C4. Does this mean my disease is more on the side of lupus now?

5 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, has your rheumatologist discussed MCTD with you?

My official diagnosis is undifferentiated connective tissue disease. Meaning I show signs and symptoms of all three. Thos etests I know can be inidicative of lupus though. Should I push for a more specific diagnosis?

I guess you could get a second opinion, or a third for that matter! It would only make a difference if the treatment would differ from what you are currently receiving with a UCTD diagnosis. I know the treatment for Scleroderma is vastly different to that of say Lupus, so it could be a good idea to investigate further. Was your antidna ab test positive or negative?

to my understanding undiffrentiated, mixed connective tissue and overlap syndrome are one and the same.. i have mctd. so i have lupus like symptoms and prominent joint pains and raynaud's disease. actually when you get this diagnosis, you can have any symptoms of any autoimmune disease.. that's why they call it overlap syndrome.. it keeps on overlapping w/ the others, hard to differentiate and are a mixture of a lot of disease :)

low c3 levels mean that you're consuming your antibodies... and so you're disease is active and you are on flare..

so when your levels go up, it's a good sign that you're improving and the disease is being controlled..

my levels are kinda low now.. so i'm in flare and my disease is yet to be controlled.. hopefully it will be soon!

hope i shed some light to your query..

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders