Headaches and PMR

Does anyone else suffer from headaches while dealing with PMR and prednisone reduction? I am down to 8 mg of prednisone for the next month and then reducing for 1 mg each month thereafter. My opthamologist just diagnosed my headaches as "cluster" headaches. These headaches come at a regular time every nite, affect my eye and surrounding area, and are located in my right temple. My SED rates and protein tests are normal. My rheumatologist and opthamologist leave the treatment for headaches to my regular doctor. So far I am not able to get any relief or much sleep at night.

2 replies. Join the discussion

I know I sound like a broken record on here today, but try to get into see a good neurologist. They know about migraines of all kinds. My daughter suffers from them badly and the neurologist has really helped her. Also, the thing that got my migraines under control is prozac. I know that sounds strange but it has worked for almost my whole family, who have migraines. It is pretty clear we do not make much serotonin naturally and that it is genetic. Anyway, that's my 2cents worth! I hope you feel better soon.

if you have uveitis associated with PMR, I suggest that you get an ocular immunologist involved in your care. these are very specialized opthalmologists trained to employ a corticosteroid sparing approach to treament and they can often get one to 'off all steorids without inflammation'. frequently they get people to remission as well.
I have a history of uveitis and headaches and have lesions on my brain and experience small TIA's. I'm on headache meds and blood thinners which have lessened the frequency of my headaches.
temporal headache can be from arteritis and from amyloidosis so these things need to be ruled out as they can appear along with PMR and uveitis. Brow pain is normally associated with uveitis BTW rather than temporal pain.
there is a list of ocular immunologists in the PATIENT information section of http://www.uveitis.org they treat all forms of ocular inflammatory disease in a corticosteroid sparing approach to treatment.

wish you the very best,
mike

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders