Charlie Horses

I have myositis and the past few weeks I have had really really bad charlie horses in my legs and in the arches of my feet. So bad that I have to pull over if I'm driving, wake up from sleeping. When they start they last several hours and after they are gone my legs feel like I have done a major work out and are very week and sore. I am just wondering if this is something that goes long with myositis. If anybody else has this going on please let me know. And any suggestions would be great.

17 replies. Join the discussion

Not sure about Myositis. But I get them really bad and always have and now my 4 year old son gets them terribly as well they last for hours for both of us. My Rheumy absolutely says they can be related to autoimmune stuff. So bad - sometimes they are so bad I am just crying in agony.

I have polymyositis and I too have been having them lately...they really hurt...don't know why....I have had poly for over 13 years..this seems to be the worse they have been...wonder if it's the weather....wishful....it's hot hazy and humid..yuk

Hey guys thanks for letting me know I'm not alone out here suffering from these things. I to think it may be related to the HOT weather. But there again I'm new to all this autoimmune stuff.

Increase your Vitamin D. I have found it really works well....

Ok Thanks I will try that.

I have scleroderma and i to have been getting charile horses in my feet and my calfs. I take lots of vitamin D and that is'nt helping at all. this just started the other day and now i am having bad hip pain and i am wondering if that is related to autoimune!!

I have arthritis in my hips which is caused by autoimmune stuff. Maybe time to visit a rheumy Joycebaby?

Bamoore,

Glad you brought Charlie Cramps up. They are soooo painful when I get them. I usually get them when I go up on my steroids which I think throws my electrolytes off. K or Mg or Ca or something like that. Usually some extra bananas or oj helps me. Come to think of it, I haven't had one since I started on Cymbalta for pain. Maybe it is relaxing my muscles while I sleep better. Thanks all for the good info. Good luck Bamoore, Zenk

Hey Guys,
You all have been great on sharing what may help and that we all have the same problem. I think the autoimmune disorder diffidently plays a big part in whats going on with us. How to fix it well thats a whole new ball game. LOL My Rhumey just shakes her head at me and says she's never seen anything like me before. So you guys are pretty much my only help. I see a neurologist at vandy in Sept. I just hope and pray he can give me some answers.

I remember getting them in during my first pregnancy. The doctor had me increase my calcium intake. I did, and the cramps stopped.

its usually caused by a potasium deficiency . eat a banana , they have potassium
cathy from ma

HI,
Have suffered much with muscle cramps . Wow they can be horrible. I started taking magnesium . it has helped alot. Plus the B12.
Find if I put a ice pack on the bottom of my back it does also relax those muscles or maybe it just freezes them. Also have had those low potassium # which does causes many spasms . So yes eat those bananas ....

I tried magnesium and B12 and nothing worked. I also find that cold is the reason I get them in the first place - so heat packs work better for me:)

I get them real bad too and they stop me in my tracks too. I take yes this is right 5000000 mg of vitamin D. two times a week.Two daily potassium tabs, and two daily calcium tabs. By order of the DR. I still get the charlie horses in my legs feet toes arms tummy, and chest. I am not sure what is causing them. I also take Lyrica 150 mg's in am 50 mgs at noon and 150 in the evenings. If any of you get any more information on this subject please share it? Best of luck to you all.
Meema

I have been suffering like you guys with Charlie Horses too. I am taking chemo & thought it was from that , but maybe not now that I read all of your comments. I don't have a definite answer but wanted to let you all know that my oncologist recommended me drinking tonic water because it has quinine in it. It was horrible & I couldn't drink it so I researched online & found Hylands pills for leg cramps with quinine. I ordered them from Puritan Pride. I got 3 bottles for $13.50 & I keep them on my night stand. If I wake up in the middle of the night I put 3 under my tongue, as directed on box, & in no time, they stop. Hope this helps some of you. Evie

I have juvenile dermatomyositis, My Charlie horses usually go away if I soak in hot water or ice, and take muscle relaxers.

Because of the long hotspell this summer I did perspire a lot more than usual and several weeks ago had terrible leg cramps. Finally I consulted with a holistic pharmacist who recommended a magnisium formula called "Jigsaw". It is time release and I took 2 caps twice a day and the cramps where gone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Community leaders