Just diagnosed Severe Dustmite Allergy

Hello,

I have just been diagnosed and I have soooo much information being thrown at me, I don't know what to do. Shot treatments, air filters, bed covers. I could surely use some direction from someone living with this. It took 5 years of them saying just allergies and giving me every prescription out there and nothing worked.

Regards LT

16 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Lt...I have been dealing with this for about 6 yrs......I had to learn alot about allergys.....My son he is 7yrs old and has severe allergys and asthma...
He is also allergic to dust-mites himself, after we found out..this is what I did I had to buy a allergen bed cover pad for the bed plus allergen piller cases and it is also important that you was your bedding once a week in hot water... We also have a idylis air purifier going constanly...And your furnace filters, we always try to buy allergens furnace filters...Yes they are quite expensive when you are on a budget but that was what he had to do for our son...He also has been on every medications you can think of... Around March or April they finally started allergys injections this year...And watching my son doing these shot treatments they are helping him tremendously.. I can already see a transformation in him...I hope some of this info will help you...Take care

When traveling u should always look for Pure Allergy Freindly rooms
All hyatts have them in almost every market. All
Beds and pillows are encased with dust mite proof encasements
And they have a purifier that rates as class two
Medical devise. It's like have a safe place to go!!

Sleeping only on my left side or tummy, Drinking tea w/local honey,goin to bed only when sleppy (sleep a little less), Lots of water, bought a dehidifier now around 50% rather than the 70% before. Mites can't live when Dry.
Vitamins: Multi,B,C 1500mg,D2000,E 400,calcium600,magnisum 400,fish oil 3000 and Now I may try Grapeseed extrant skin and seed only 100mg recommends 2 x that. All of these Vit. not in high doses just a hedge.
Been almost a bubble boy for 2 weeks wearing a P-100 99.97% mask when outside. (Trying to stay of the Juice,abuterol)
Seems also like there is something to this Dr Buteyko deal. Nose breathing www.buteykodvd.com, www.snoring.ie, www.asthmacare.ie,

I've always been a mouth breather so the nose seems like a better way.
(Tried w/paper medical tape shuting only half, the mouth.

I really hate to hear that it's dust mites. It is really hard to work with that , but it can be done. When my fitst child was 4 ( he is now 18) we found out he was allergic to dust mites among other things. I covered all bedding' bought hepa air machines, took down all window treatments, pulled up al l carpet and put down wood floors ( i truly believe the carpet made the most difference!) It was a major job! And yes it all helped....some. He still was on 6 medicines daily. When he was about 12 things started getting some better. I forgot to mention we live on a farm and a gravel road . Not much i can do about that.:) He is now 18 and a senior in high school. He recently broke his back in a high school football game. He has always be an outdoorsmen and a sports nut. We have now been told he has juvenile osteoporosis!!! What a shock!!! His doctors now believe his JO could be from all his asthma meds. He has been off them for the most part since he became a teenager. I guess you never know. You do what you can and hope for the best!!! It has been an exhausting journey for us and we still have a long way to go. Hope things work out better for you!! Take care of your self!

I have 99 allergies, 22 of which are severe. I have been getting allergy shots for about 7 years now. Cannot bump up to two shots yet. One of my worst allergies is dust mites. I have enclosed all of my bedding in plastic covers. You can get a soft plastic cover which will not make noise when sleeping. Wash all your bedding in HOT water. Keep stuffed animals off your bed. If you have decorative pillows they can harbor the mites too. If you want to keep them on your bed run them in the dryer a few minutes weekly.
Don't be scared of the shots- it will desensitize you to your allergens over time. Hope some of this information helps.

For now I seem to have allergies and my head is spinng a bit. I seem to have a mild temp. on and off. throat , cough and I just want to lay down for awhile. But you know how it goes ..It's very hard to think . I did see my regular doc yesterday to tell them about the amazing change in my breathing. I hope you are doing well and that all is good. I'm glad that everything worked out for you yesterday I really didn't know what was happening!

Thank you for responding I don't know any thing much about it. I know I don't feel well and was hoping that shots would work. I hope your son continues to do well.!

Thank you for your help I am worried about how to manage this. But it shots help I'll do it. I just want to be well. What kind of doctordo you see when you have this kind of allergy?

I'm glad your son is doing so much better and I hope that shots will help me. I have used the allergen filter for the last year or so.

I looked at that but was told that you need to have a deep pocket to fit it in. I used the one inch one. I'll look to see it up stairs to see the width

That sounds good. I've heard of some cold water solutions that will clean in cold water But I don't know if it would work for this type of allergy? I'm thinking probally not!

I don't need this.. I sleep fine when I'm not overly stressed. I just didn't know how to tell you. Things are different now that I am not waking up to and take all my old meds. It's much better! But my docter that I saw last week doesn't give me albuteral because she expects the my pulmonalagist to do that. I' have to talk to him. I only have 3 alb. But then again I'm going to see my allergist I think tomorrow and doesn't want two people giving me meds. I'm happy to be breathing even though I have my air purifier next to me.

If I remember right the furnis filters are too small for the opening I have upstairs so I use a one inch type.

I'm looking forward to getting better and not feeling so tired and sick. Thank you my friend for All that you have shown me. Things are very different since than I thought. Take care of yourself!!

You don't understand what I'm tying to tell you. I will take the grapes but you told me there were problems with your system and I didn't know it's mon and thought I was going to mess you up. You don't know how difficult it is for me to keep up with the computer stuff.

Sorry it took me a long time to reply to you. I see a doctor who is a pulmonologist, who is also trained in allergies. You could just see an allergist, but I have multiple illnesses so it is easier to go to my doctor. Most of the time shots do help. Changing the things you are around is also helpful. Such as washing bedding in hot water, stuffed animals must be kept to a minimum, they can also be washed, dried or put in the freezer to kill the mites. Avoiding unnecessary chemicals, and heavy perfumes is a good idea too. I hope this helps a bit. Keep us posted!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AAFA

Help the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Public Service Announcement

Links and Resources from AAFA

Community leaders