MELD Score

I found out today that my MELD Score is 8. I think that is pretty low since I have heard it can be between 6 - 40.

18 replies. Join the discussion

a meld score of 8 is low. my fiance is a meld score of 14 and that was 3 weeks ago at our initial meeting with the transplant board.

Hello,
A MELD score of 8 is low. When I was first diagnosed mine was a 15 and had been flucuating from 15-17. Two hospital visits later MELD was 27 and 29 respectively. When I was discharged on Monday 8/30 it was a 25. On the list here and pretty high up from what my coordinator says. Good luck to you.
David

Right now my MELD score is 11.When they thought I had liver cancer it flew up to 25,but after a biopsy and another MRI it went back down.

I also know that MELD score can mean different things for different states, as far as getting a transplant liver. I know it is like in the 20s here in MA, but more like the mid teens in Arkansas.

My MELD score was at a 12 when is was first tested at the transplant center. When I was transplanted I was at a score of 18. I had a living donor.
A MELD score of 8 puts you low on the list which really sucks. Try looking into a living donor.
Best of Luck!

I believe that you're status 1 b on the UNOS list. best of luck!

It is in the mid to upper teens in Ohio where I got my transplant.

Thank you for the reply. How long did it taKe to go from 15 to 25 David ? Are you going to a hospital in NC ? I am going to CMC in Charlotte, NC. They try to do transplant when MELD is 20.

Tarfoot, when I was admitted to the hospital on 8/16 or a few days later it jumped to 27 then back down to 25 from 15/17 a few weeks prior. I am listed at two different hospitals but received the call at 4 today to be here by 6. They have a possible liver and am scheduled for transplant at Florida Hospitdl Orlando at 10:00am tomorrow. Good luck!

Davcid hope your surgery went well. I will be praying for you. Good Luck.

My MELD score was 12 in May after 1 year of knowing I have NASH cirrhosis. The average transplant score is 23 nationwide, but once transplant occurs the score is 28. Even if your score is low you still have health problems and the MELD score can changes at a moments notice. I will pray for you and please read my story and how we are to live life like you are going to die tomorrow, but Love others like you are going to live forever!

Beast of Luck David, I hope everything went smoothly.
I was listed only at 1 hospital, The Cleveland Clinic.

Hi jgs312

i am currently on the transplant list with a MELD score of about 15 and I am hoping for a living donor also. My husband is currently in the process of being tested to be my donor and with any luck I will be having my surgery at Thomas Jefferson Hospital sometime in spring of 2011.

I would like to know how your transplant went with the living donor and how the recorery was for you and the donor. thanks

You don't even begin to be considered for transplant until you reach the thirties!

I am in California and we have a population of 39 million so I was at 34 meld when I got my liver.

My MELD score had moved from 22 to 25 the day before my transplant. I'm in the Houston area.

dear friend,

I had transplant 1° may. what I know is I couldn't have done it alone without the help of my husband and my daughter, Never in my live I was so dipendent from other persons. But now after 6 months it is finished, I can do everything by myself, go to medical consultation alone, care about my medecins an doing injections to myself. So if you care for your friend, the only thing you can do is give him six months of you life. I think it's worth it

I had hep C since 1985, In 2008 my meld was 7. by the end of 2008 score was 10. during 2009 it jump to 12 at which time I was excepted to the Transplant list. In the Portland OR. VA Hospital my meld reach 25 then moved to 28 within a a couple of days. I would also like to say that also during this time 2008-2010 my meld did flucuate quite a bit.
Hope this helps

Paul

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the American Liver Foundation

Help the American Liver Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the American Liver Foundation

Discussion topics

From the American Liver Foundation

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The American Liver Foundation would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of ALF. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.