how long do I have to live w/ end stage cirrhosis w/ ascites

I have end stage cirrhosis and major problems w/ ascites. I was in the ER at least 15times in 2012 and Hospitalized 4 times. I been hospitalized once this yr and ins the ER 3 times already this yr!! Im on a very high dosage of spironolactone and furosemide daily. I had my stomach "taped" 5 times so far. I read that these are milestones in the downhill slide of decompensated cirrhosis. And that the patient has approx 2-5 yrs to live. Anybody got any info on this?

38 replies. Join the discussion

~hang in there. ur part of the group I'M watching and getting inspiration from. i hope u find the answers u seek.

bryguy: Remember, no one can get a date stamped on our butts with the date of our death.
You have to consider your diet, (we must be strict vegetarians). Prayer and faith. Trust in our Heavenly Father.

Thanks

I watch my salt, and eat lean meats. Ie...buffalo when O do eat a burger.

How are your kidney functions with the high doses of meds?

The ascites can get better.... My husband was having taps every week... he is on a low dosages of the meds now and hasnt had a tap since November 2012...

I kept about 10 to 30 lbs of extra weight on me all the time. It does just get worse the longer you go. Diet and possible exercise is everything to staying out of the ER. MELD score is very telling regarding how sick you are. Good luck and hang in there. Be careful with yourself.

it seems to me we can live a long time even being uncompensated
only thing is the better you take care of yourself the better you will feel and possibly live longer
i think diet is key and water lots of wáter
God bless and happy easter to you

HI, what do you consider high for spironolactone and furosemide?

God knows but he won't tell you when you are going go be with him, or the other place either. He doesn't want you figuring on running around doing all sorts of bad stuff until the day before you are due and then start praying like crazy the day are going. LOL
Everybody else who would give you a time frame is crazy to try to tell you that unless they have a really good track record for prophesies. Just take advantage of the good days when they happen and be thankful for all of life.

Peace and Joy

Paul

Great comment Tab. So true. Wishing all the best and Happy Easter. Peace to all.

Thanx for all the replys. Yes, they do labs one all the time. Checking my kidneys,etc....

400mg of the spirono,(2 tabs twice a day). 400mg of furosemide (5 tabs twice a day)

I have decompensated end stage cirrhosis and have had it since 2006. I don't plan to die anytime soon. Take care of yourself. Keep talking to your doctors to find relief. Don't worry about how much time you have. You are alive now and that is what counts.

bry,
my husband also has a severe issue with ascities. After the fourth tap, they finally decided to surgically implant a catheter so that he can drain himself. Only because the buildup of excess fluid is very rapid. He has been taken off the spiro and all diurectics and reduced to 1L fluid intake/day. we currently are just struggling to stabilize his bp as it seems to keep dropping lower and lower daily. today he was down to 70/40 .. personally, I think each person decides their will to live and its all what you put into it. Ive told my husband that his "wants" are gone, he now "needs" to do things, to just survive long enough to qualify for transplant and possibly "get" his transplant to live.... My thoughts are with you during this battle

I was diagnosed in February of 2009 and have had my belly tapped twice with rather large quantities of fluid taken each time. I also take spironolactone and furosemide, though not in those doses. Have lived with this diagnosis over four years now and I'm still here. Just make sure you do what your doc tells you, including, not to step on your toes, refraining from drinking. I do know of some who have tried to "cut down" but that just doesn't work. You might also make note of how your foods are made, what kind of mouthwash you use, toothpaste, cough medicine...as silly as it seems some of these items contain alcohol. I'm not a doctor so I don't know if the amounts contained in these items would be an issue but better safe than sorry. I've even stopped cooking spaghetti with wine and taco soup with beer. Just doesn't taste the same. Take care of yourself!

Only God has numbered your days. He will keep you here as long as you are needed to fulfill His purpose and will.
I have overcome death several times in the past three years, but God had big and better plans for me. I am writing a book about my near death experiences and you can read a small portion at the link I have provided below and may it give you hope when you feel there isn't any.

caringbridge.org/visit/patrickwood/journal/3

and read the part labeled, "Dying to live Again"

God Bless,

Doctor Who (Patrick)

I'll just ditto all the great advice. I'm celebrating my 56th birthday today. I was told 3 years ago that I would not make it 2 more years without a transplant.
Diet, nutrition, lifestyle changes can make a huge difference.
My best to you. I hope you have a BUNCH more birthdays too. Yeah? haha. Karen:)

I have Hep-C and have had it for decades. I earned this disease as I was not born with it- Hey, it's true and I'm trying to be responsible. Anyway, I had a very scarey and intense issue last Saturday- the eve before Easter. I thought I was gonna die and went to the hospital. After almost 2 hours of waiting- not for space or a doctor but, someone to fill out my paper work- after all- these things cost money and they did not see me until my elderly parents showed up and Mom did the paperwork. I was finally seen and to make a long story short, they said I had a panic attack! What a bunch of crap! I've never had a panic attack and I feel they knew something was wrong with me but, as soon as they saw decades-old needle marks on my arms, the whole thing changed. I was now a junkie- not a human being hurting from his medical issues. I say this to those few who might read this and need help in the future. You are judged by your appearance regardless of who or where you go. Anyway, here I am, still in pain, still hurting from the REAL medical issue I have and have to wait until tomorrow. My side is killing me. I know it's my Liver as I am fairly cognitive of my body. I've also spent most of the morning now into the afternoon, looking for info on Liver, associated problems and the like. I don't know just how damaged it is but, I "burn" all over, my skin feels very strange- tingly, burning, feet hurt, very cloudy thinking, etc. I joined this site to see where I am on the "death scale" and how close I am to being deceased. I don't want pity or further stress. I want to know my immediate future. Any relevant information would greatly be appreciated. thank you.

Thanx for all the great input. Btw: Ive been sober since 3/24/12

Welcome to the group. We are all learning from each other how to live our best life... and make it last longer!!! Karen:)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the American Liver Foundation

Help the American Liver Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the American Liver Foundation

Discussion topics

From the American Liver Foundation

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The American Liver Foundation would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of ALF. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.