Foods easy on the liver

What foods are easy on the lover?

12 replies. Join the discussion

If I didn't let my iPhone do the spelling. Foods easy on the Liver

Lean chicken, lean turkey, fish, fresh produce of ALL kinds especially dark green leafy veggies, fresh fruits, frozen fruits and veggies that do not have added salt or sugar or dyes or preservatives. Don't take any iron supplements, not even a multi-vitamin with iron because the iron can build up in the liver, especially true for men, and make you feel just awful. Low fat. Low salt. Low sugar. If you must use oil, go with extra virgin olive oil. Don't use cast iron cookware, the extra iron is no longer good for you. Bacon and sausage has nitrates that are bad for the liver. Try to buy bread that has no preservatives. Most chemicals are bad for the liver.

Thank you! I know when I had my biopsy I read a list of foods that are easy on the liver while it healed.
It included oatmeal

That's good to know about iron. I'd no idea.
Soybean products such as tofu, soy milk, soy ice cream are good for the liver. Personally, I find I feel better when I don't eat meat.

Go here to read all about soy. A little is a good thing but too much can cause many problems. Maybe it wasn't true before the genetically modified soy crops became standard here in the U.S. of A. www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/soy.htm
They quote Drs. Gerson, 20/20, and many University studies. I now make my own almond milk, no preservatives, no thickeners, and just one packet of stevia to sweeten. I HAD originally bought the Soyabella soy milk maker with 2 and a half pounds of organic soybeans, to make my own soy milk, but when I read this article, I started making almond milk instead. About 30 cents worth of almonds makes 3 and a half cups of almond milk. I will be trying my own rice milk soon. YUMMMMM, horchatta!

I am somewhat lucky .. I pick up vegetables and fruits from my farm .. piece I'm not worried in this regard. As I do not use chemical pesticides and medicines .. As for the meat I prefer chicken .. fish .. and liver, as I eat ongrilled ... because many oils cause cholesterol. unhealthy..There are several useful for liver vegetables such as artichokes.And healthy life .. must stay away from fast food .. restaurants .. mayonnaise .. better to eat fruit and vegetables in season

Only if you have varices which bleed do you need extra iron. Otherwise, no. BF stopped eating red meat and his Ammonia level went way down. So his nutritionist said 6 oz of protein, 4 from meat. He eats very little poultry also as it is meat. We found out the hard way when his Ammonia level was high and he had bad Encepalothy. After the meat was practically eliminated, it was better. Still has to take Lactulose and XIfaxin. Otherwise eating from the basic food groups works. Watch the salt intake though as it's been known to cause swelling.

Sorry but I prefer to utilize academic and scientific resources for reference. Shirley's does not qualify as such.
You can buy organic tofu that has not been genetically modified.
Here is one article from the World Journal of Gastroenterology in PubMed:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22611313
There are others supporting this research.

Oh, I should add that since I've been eating more organic and less meat/more soy for the last year, my viral count has gone from 12 million to 5 million and the enzymes are all lower also.

I was a vegetarian before I found out about mt autoimmune hepatitis. I try to eat as close to nature as possible. Less crsp my poor liver has to process. Though I am a recovering sugar addict... Organic when I can afford it. Veggies, fruits, whole grains, little processed. It's tough tho. I also have hashimotos which makes me incredibly sluggish and impossible to lose weight. Sucks...

How do you get enough protein. I could stay away from beef. But I know years ago that my hemoglobin was so low that I ate hamburger & it really saved me

Suggestions on that

fish,eggs,beans....lot of food rich of protein

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the American Liver Foundation

Help the American Liver Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the American Liver Foundation

Discussion topics

From the American Liver Foundation

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The American Liver Foundation would like to remind visitors and group members that the views and opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of ALF. Please consult your personal physician regarding any medical information that is shared on this site.