Mum only has weeks to live

Hi my mum was diagnose with a Brain tumour in August 2012, she has had many complications. After debulking of the tumour she starting having complications on the section of were the bone in her skull that was removed a collection of fluid kept forming we thought that after 3 weeks post surgery she could start having radiation and we could have at least a few years with us the oncologist was positive he could treat her but the brain fluid started leaking. Mum had to have another operation as a little hole was left behind again we had to wait ( at this point she only was saying a few words but was eating on her own and walked aided she couldn't control her bowls from the beginning that's was always a problem) another 3 weeks just as she was about to start radiation the swelling started again this time where the scar was it got so bad puss starting poring out of the stitches another operation was perform she had developed a serious infection in the brain fluid it was melingious. Since mum has this over a month ago she can't talk, eat, drink or walk, she sleeps most of the time has no idea of even who we are...... They are now talking about a hospice, when she does open her eyes she doesn't make eye contact I don't think she can see anymore. I don't want her to leave us but I can't see her suffer like this. Mum was such I proud beautiful inteligent women....Has anyone else experienced the problems my mum is having?

25 replies. Join the discussion

I will pray for all of you

Please be sure that you all are in our prayers

Jeevy, I am so sorry for what you are going through. My husband had fluid leaking from his wound after his second craniotomy. They delayed Avastin as long as they could but his tumor was growing so they took a chance and gave him the Avastin anyway. The wound holes got bigger and they eventually had to do a flap surgery ( like a face lift on the side of his skull) to cover the wound to prevent infection. This delayed Avastin even longer while THAT wound healed. Not exactly like your mum but similar.

Thank you for your replies everyone, Jonil how is your husband now?
We have been told now that the tumour is growing fast and has changed from
Grade 3 to 4 which is very aggressive. I don't understand how we can just give up
on her this way? But to look at mum now it seems as if she has left us along time
ago. It's devastating to see her dying a little more each day. All we can do now is pray.

Jeevy- I am sorry to hear of your Mum on her recent brain surgery. I have ben fortuante as I had a big brain incision surgery to remove a tumor and discover I have masssive malignant cancer too. I had my surgery in February 2012. Fortunately my scar was able to heal well and I started intensive 4 months of chemo and radiation after that. I am sorry to hear that she has had surgery complications. Continue to have faith in her and God to provide and care for her too, and be sure she will be a fighter of her cancer like I have been and the only way I am still alive, although I had a prognosis that I am supposed to die in 2015 but it looks like I am supposed to be doing well. Only God really knows. Faith and positive courage and hope are important for us to survive.

Best wishes on her healing and recovering. And yes, hospice care is the best way to go and when it is my time, I hve told my children I want to die at a hospice too.

John

Jeevy, I am sorry to say my husband passed away last month. He fought so hard for almost 3 years. I agree - they die a little more each day. We had Hospice for 7 weeks. Prayers for your family.

Don't believe a word of it! I was given only months to live, but I kept fighting - and trird a different type of chemo, DCV, etc.!

I shall say a prayer for you

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I haven't kept you updated but mum died on the 17th January 2013 that's only 4 months after being diagnosed. She had been in a coma for about 4 weeks and the oncologist said the cancer had spread her brain was not functioning at all. Eventually one day she just stopped breathing. I still can't believe she has been taken away from us so quickly. Take care everyone I wish you good health xxx

Davidlb I really don't know why you don't believe me I have lost my mum and was asking if anyone else out there was suffering as she was? What is not to believe?

I will pray for all of you

This is a horrible disease. My mother was diagnosed January 9th 2013. She pulled out of the surgery ok but was unable to walk again, go to the bathroom or feed herself. She can answer some of our questions still but sits in a wheelchair or her bed. She has started some labored breathing tonight and I asked how she was feeling. She said she was fine and nothing bothered her. I do not know how much time we have left with mom but this is so painful to watch and not help the person you love. My mom was given 6 months which its been only two but mom is not good so not sure how long it will be. I treasure every moment with her and tell her I love her. I really feel for anyone that has lost someone to this horrible disease and I hope some day there will be a cure for this.

Dear Jdsong, this diease is horrible to watch your loved one die right in front of you and to feel so helpless is terrible. When mum was diagnosed I was like ok she has this but she is going to get better I will help her fight it every step of the way and she will succeed but she kept on getting worse every after every single operation every single day. When I fought things can't get any worse they did everyday until she went so far away from us I knew she would never ever return she was just breathing she couldn't even communicate. This intelligent beautiful women completely helpless. All I can say now is I miss you so much mum rest in peace. All you can do is to spend as much time as you can and hold her hands I used to stroke mums arm I could feel she got a lot of comfort from that. I will pray for you and your mom x

Jeevy - I am very sorry for the loss of your mum!
Jdsong - I am so sorry for what you are going through with your mum too.
My father has been fighting since October 2011. He is still able to walk around but his balance has been getting worse.
It is so terrible to watch a loved one go through this.

Praying for you!!!
Brenda

All we can do is pray? Praying's not a bad start!

I will pray for you!

It's a horrible thing to witness something like this. But let me try and bring you some comfort. I once read in someone's blog that in truth, all of us are terminal. We just don't know the date. My friend, though we shall certainly grieve and ache when any of our loved ones suffer, I can, with complete assurance state emphatically, that Jesus Christ is our only source of true contentment and has shown us our only real truth about what happens after we pass from this life.

I can also tell you that I have seen enough miracles to know that God can cure anyone of anything at anytime if we believe he can. This is not to say that when our time on earth draws to a close, God will give us more. But I personally was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer and one week later, was completely cured. No drugs. No intervention by men. My son was cured from spinal meningitis with a prayer. No drugs. No intervention. My wife is cured of Stage IV Melanoma with therapy, surgery, but lots of prayers from thousands of people. God is real. Jesus is the way. Miracles still happen. Even the miracle of letting go and having peace. I pray for your mum in Jesus name and I bless her with peace, salvation, and life eternal. Be well my friend. Love God.

stop all steroids they will make her very difficult--

stop all the sterods she is on

I am so sorry for your loss. I just react against a Dr. giving someone months to live. That is God's prerogative.

I will pray for you

I agree with David. Kathy, Toms wife

Hi Everyone I still can't believe my beautiful loving caring mum has gone and now I'm picking up the pieces of our broken lives without her... I have a 16 year old son and a 3 year old daughter who she adored they miss her so much as she used to take care of them everyday while I was a work. My daughter cries for her and keeps on asking for her, it breaks my heart to see them suffering. I have to stay strong for them my son was taking his exams the week mum died in January and tried not to think too much about what had happened and today totally broke down. I pray for God to give them strength. I feel totally lost without her.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ABTA

Together with your help, the American Brain Tumor Association will fund more research and reach more people, with the shared goal of improving, extending and ultimately saving lives. With your gift, those coping with a brain tumor diagnosis will know -- more than ever -- that they are not alone.

Donate to the American Brain Tumor Association

Discussion topics

More from ABTA

Community leaders