Brain Tumor Board to look at MRI

My husbands MRI showed something,but we do not know what at this point. The brain tumor board at John Hopkins will look at it on Monday,so we have all weekend to wait. I pray it is scar tissue,and not new tumor. If it is new tumor, do not know what will be the next step,maybe Temodar again. So here it is almost Christmas, and we are waiting for results of the MRI. I pray God will intervene,and it will not be new growth. I am trying to stay busy,and keep my husband busy. He is not having any symptons,and is doing good. Please pray for our family, Kathy, Toms wife

26 replies. Join the discussion

Wupishng you good luck.

sending prayers your way :) Merry Christmas.

You will be in my prayers, please let us know how Monday goes. Adele

Give it to God and trust in him!

I'm praying for you, Kathy, and for Tom. Let it just be contrast enhancement, not new growth. Praying for comfort, peace, and rest, until you are able to get the answers tomorrow and have a plan of action.
Becky

Thank you, we are so nervous. Kathy, Toms wife

Praying for you both

Kathy, Toms wife,

I wish you both peace and hope during the holiday season!

i also have a Gbm4 and I have an MRI coming up in January. The last time they checked at Johns Hopkins I had scar tissue, and I am staying hopeful mostly but do get nervous sometime too.

Take care of you and Tom and I will remember you two during the Christmas season. Be well, and I wish you both the best, Belle1106

agbecky what do you mean by contrast enhancement? I have not heard this term before?

Contrast enhancement was the term our radiology oncologist used to discuss my husband's MRIs. When he had his first MRI after the 6 weeks of chemo & RT, there was a bright white spot next to the tumor cavity that really scared me. It is common after radiation to have some areas where the contrast injected during the MRI shows up more in certain areas. This means it isn't tumor growth, it is just a spot on the MRI. Our NO wanted to be sure that it wasn't something else and so Dennis had monthly MRIs several months in a row. Over time, the spot faded and is now gone. He finished his initial chemo and radiation the end of February '12. He has been having MRIs every other month now after June. The latest in November showed no signs of tumor or progression and the tumor cavity continues to shrink and collapse in on itself. We are so thankful for this good news. Next MRI will be early February.
Becky

We're still praying and watching for your update on the MRI news.
Becky

Thanks, I am still waiting on a call. it was supposed to be yesterday. I am so so nervous. Kathy, Toms wife

Ok, finally a reply from the Brain Tumor Board from John Hopkins. They could not all agree on whether it is a new growth or not,but feel it could be. It is not in a place that can be taken out,so they will treat it like new growth,and start him on temador again. He is still doing good,and does not have any new symptons. Thanks so much for all your prayers,and keep praying that the temador will do the job. Kathy, Toms wife

You can get another opinion. Three cancer centers reviewed my case, but they couldn't agree with each other. :-@

We are going to send a copy to Duke. Thanks

Thankyou for your reply. My next visit is in 3 months to look at " scar tissue ". I decided to not worry too much about it and determined to not let life to pass me by. This is another worry that I surrendered over to the Lord! Have a very Merry Christmas

My husband was diagnosed with GBM4 this summer, had craniotomy, radiation and 2 rounds of chemo. The first MRI showed re-growth, that was on 11/27. We were very disappointed to say the least, but we have not given up hope. He is trying a ketogenic diet and we will be seeing a doc in Philadelphia next week to guide us better with that.

Even if you husband's image is regrowth, don't give up and don't ignore your feelings. My friends are such good sounding boards for me to vent my fears and feelings.

Even if my husband completely recovered tomorrow, this event has completely changed our lives and perspectives (and for much of that I am grateful). Life will never be same no matter what.

Briggs- after my tumor was surgurgically removed successfully, we were shocked that another one grew from the surgurical cite as if it had been a weed root that decided to bloom again. I had this successfully removed through my radiation treatment which was just beginning, and they were able to increase the dosage and it paid off to remove the new growth and we were very happy about that. Good luck and I hope you are able to find out and take care of the new growth. Peace to both of you over the holidays.

John

Thanks, we are so confused. Some think it is new growth,and others think it is scar tissue from radiation. They say it is in a bad spot this time,and can not be removed. It is not very big yet,and he is not having any symptons. We will start Temodar,and try for two months. Hope this works, we are still looking at the trial vaccines,but most he does not qualify . Briggs

Briggs,

I am sorry to hear about this and pray the Temodar works. Did the care team tell you what they hope to see as they monitor your husband? I thought I would share my experience in case this is what your care team expects... in my case the tumors still show up on each of my MRIs. I have 3 tumors with the largest being close to the motor strip so they did not do surgery to remove my tumors. There is some confusion among the different pathologists about the grade of my tumors so we say they are astrocytoma grade II/III. I did 12 cycles of Temodar that ended October 2011. I have MRI scans every 3 months to monitor for new growth.

To me the MRIs I have now do not look any different than my MRIs from when I was diagnosed 2 years ago. My care team says that the Temodar killed most of the cancer cells in the tumors, but this cannot be seen on the MRI. I wanted to share this with you so if it is the same with your husband you do not get disappointed when he starts the chemo and if his MRI looks the same. I would love for you to tell us that when he has his next MRI there is shrinkage, but also wanted to share that this is not the case for me and you might want to ask what to expect when you go in for his next MRI.

Praying for you and your husband!
Susan

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ABTA

Together with your help, the American Brain Tumor Association will fund more research and reach more people, with the shared goal of improving, extending and ultimately saving lives. With your gift, those coping with a brain tumor diagnosis will know -- more than ever -- that they are not alone.

Donate to the American Brain Tumor Association

Discussion topics

More from ABTA

Community leaders