30th anniversary of a brain stem astoricytoms

Today is my 30 years since my diagnosis of a brain stem asytrocytoma, and i am still here. I am living proof the even the best doctors are not always right. I am happy, but wish there were more long term studies on brain tumor survivors. I have lost the use of my right and most of my leg, but had a great night last night with 20 deaf-blind adults. made me realize its great to know I am not alone with brain tumor junk.

6 replies. Join the discussion

Congratulations! Your strength, determination and attitude are an inspiration as I struggle with my own rapidly approaching one year commemoration of the discovery of my tumor.

Great news. In February it will be 37 years since my daughter was diagnosed with an astrocytoma in the celebelum and brain stem and a second turomor when seh was 21. She has difficulty with her rights side also and lost most of her vision, but she is a survivor. Also the doctors told me she would not live from the brain tumor. So doctors do not always know the future, we have to leave that up to God.

I am a survivor of oligoastrocytoma! Almost 1 year for me! thank you for sharing your story inspires me!

Thank you for you replies. It's true that we are better together.

Dear SDKarBear, Finding your post was my Christmas present! Thank you. I was diagnosed with a tumor on my brain stem. It was actually missed on an MRI taken 7.5 years ago. I had IMRT in Sept 2011. All of the stories that I read about brain stem tumors are tragically depressing. This is such a great forum to let us know we are not alone. I chose to remain positive and believe in possibilities. Thank you so much for sharing. May you have many happy New Years!
Karen

SDKarBear,
Congratulations! Your story is truly inspiring and gives hope.I am an almost 7 year survivor of an astrocytoma grade 2.(It will be seven years in March).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ABTA

Together with your help, the American Brain Tumor Association will fund more research and reach more people, with the shared goal of improving, extending and ultimately saving lives. With your gift, those coping with a brain tumor diagnosis will know -- more than ever -- that they are not alone.

Donate to the American Brain Tumor Association

Discussion topics

More from ABTA

Community leaders