Today it happened

For the first time today my husband didn't know who I am. We have been married for 32 years and while I was driving him to the doctor he politely asked me, "Where is your home when you're not here?" I said, honey, I live with you. We live here. I could tell he didn't have any idea who I was, so I told him. He seemed pleased by the idea, but as though it were a total surprise to him. I knew this day would be coming, but it was such a shock. I actually thought he might be having a stroke, but the doctor assured me it was part of the progression of this awful disease. He seems to be losing more and more of his cognitive skills as the days progress. His most confused times are in the morning, at least for now. Has anyone else noticed this? This sadness that I feel is unbearable.

Things you can do

Support AFA

Help the Alzheimer's Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Links and resources from AFA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

Information found on the Alzheimer's Foundation of America Support Community should not be considered a replacement for consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of AFA.