Finally at peace!

My mother-in-law is finally at peace(. She passed away Sunday afternoon. She was put on oxygen Saturday night and early on Sunday morning was doing fine but an hour later they had trouble finding her pulse. It was very weak. Hospice ordered morphine to be given every 4 hours, but she slipped away before the morphine ever arrived which we really were grateful for. My husband(Darrel) and I had been at the nursing home in the morning and had gone home to rest-my husband is legally blind from a head injury when he was 25 and has been having back problems. We were gone for about an hour and a half and the nursing home called and said they thought we should come back. My husband does not move very quickly due to his blindness and the back pain and it took us about 15 minutes to get there. We only live 5 minutes away. She took her last breath seconds before we arrived.

My brother-in-law(BIL) was leaning over the bed praying and moved toward my husband and me. He pushed my arm moving me out of the way and walked toward my husband saying "Brother, I have something to tell you from the bottom of my heart". I thought he was going to tell him something like they only had ech other now or something similar, but BIL pushed him up against the bedside tray on wheels and pinned him up against the wall and said "you took away my mama's rights!" My husband never saw him coming and was unprepared for defense. A cousin and her husband happened to be in the room and her husband pushed him away from Darrel. I guess his brother was angry because we did not want her to be taken to the hospital as Hospice had said there was nothing more that could be done. Her living will had specific instructions.

My BIL has not been of any help throughout the battle with Alzheimer's so he really has not been aware of her true decline. The nursing home called the police and a report was filed. The officer explained to my BIL that he needed to put aside his hard feelings and bury his mother in peace. If he caused any trouble they would come and arrest him. We could have had him arrested on the spot but choose not to. All that would have done is caused more hard feelings. (This is not the first time my husband has been attacked by his brother)

My husband and I made funeral arrangements yesterday and are having services on Wednesday from 9:00-2:00. We are praying that his brother does not cause any kind of trouble. My husband and I have no regrets as we have done all that we could for his mother the last 12 years while she was alive. My BIL on the other hand has done littIe to nothing to help their mother. He seldom saw her(lived only 15 minutes away) or even bothered to pick up the phone and call her.

I pray that we can lay her to rest peacefully without any confrontation. BIL has been informed of the arrangements and we are not sure what will happen..I ask for your prayers to help us through this ordeal and hope others out there do not have to go through anything like this in their families!

PS-BIL is a recovering drug addict/alcoholic who is supposed to have been clean and sober for 5 years. His wife is also in recovery. Think this has anything to do with it?????

Things you can do

Support AFA

Help the Alzheimer's Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Links and resources from AFA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

Information found on the Alzheimer's Foundation of America Support Community should not be considered a replacement for consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of AFA.