Skin Cancer Drug Bexarotene cured mice of AD

Has anyone heard about this? A team at Case Western Reserve university used the drug Bexarotene and cured mice of AD. It's a very exciting study. They are in the midst of a Human trial right now and next there will be a larger trial performed by the NIH. Since Bexarotene is an approved drugs in humans for Skin Cancer it's on the market and Doctors can prescribe it as an "off-label" drug. Meaning prescribing it for a disease that it hasn't been tested for.
Basically you have to search for a doctor who will take a LARGE RISK and prescribe for you. It puts them at risk legally. VERY LUCKILY we have a doctor who is doing it for my Mom. We will be getting the drug from Canada since it isn't covered by insurance (since it's "off-label) and it will be very expensive here in America. However you can get it over an on-line pharmacy from Canada at a reduced price.
Keep in mind that this study was done in MICE ONLY. There is no proof right now that it cures humans.. or what it does at all in humans. However in my opinion when your loved one is disappearing you try anything.

137 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there,
I'm from Italy, my mother has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer,
I did read your post and would be very great if you could keep me informed on your try.
Hope all the best. Thanks
Mario

Hi Mario,

I'm so sorry about your Mother's diagnosis. I will certainly keep you posted. We are waiting for the drug to arrive right now so hopefully she will be starting the drug in a week or so.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen thank you for your reply.
As you can imagine I will be waiting news from you.
Hopefully everything gonna be ok for your mom, cross your fingers.
Thanks again
Mario

I hope that the drug works for your mother, best of luck. Can you say which online pharmacy you're using? My father has Alzheimers and I'd be very interested in this. Thank you.

I will find out CGM and let you know. My brother took care of it so I just have to ask him. She started the medicine today. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks so much -- hope all goes as well as possible. I know a lot of people will be eager to hear if the drug helps your mother.

Hi Kathleen,
please keep us informed..... if bexarotene gives any improvement, even the small one could be a big news.
Thanks Mario

Hy Kathleen,im Alessandro,i have read what you wrote, i hope that everything goes in the best way with the use of Bexarotene.
Keep us informed.
Thank you so much,it will be great to share a good news from you.

It's been just a few days and I am trying to keep myself impartial. However, yesterday my Mother seemed clearer than usual. She recalled the places we had been that day and she recalled having gone to my son's preschool months earlier. This seems interesting to me because since that visit to the preschool she had never remembered it before. We have passed it many times while driving and never once did she comment about it or mention that she had been there. Then when I was speaking about it yesterday she said "is that the one that I went to with you?". Yesterday she said that she felt like a "shade had been lifted".
I don't know if it's the medicine or it was just a really good day. I DO NOT want to give hope to any of you in case this was just a "good day" so please keep that in mind. With that being said- I am hoping that it wasn't just a "good day".

I will continue to keep you all updated. Before we started the medicine I did some cognitive testing with her. I am doing it myself because her neurologist wants nothing to do with her using this drug. Every 2 weeks as we go along I will perform the tests to see if there is any improvement. We will also be going to her Internist (the Doctor who agreed to prescribe the medicine) he will also do some cognitive testing. Will keep you all updated!

@CGM- sorry I forgot about the pharmacy name. I will let you know next time I give an update.

I can't tell you how much I (and I'm sure other people) appreciate you providing these updates. With all you have to juggle, it really means a lot. Thoughts and prayers are with your and your family, and here's hoping that this is the start of meaningful improvement for your mother. I look forward to further updates.

All the best.

Simply thank you a lot, really thanks a lot, i want to hope it will be the right way to follow. I can close my eyes tonight thinking maybe there is a possibility. Goodnight wonderful people

Thanks Kathleen,
we really hope it wasn't just a good day.
How are you doing with the dosage?
Keep us informed.
Ciao

The current dosage is 75mg(1 pill) 1 time a day for 2 weeks. If no improvement at 2 weeks the dosage will be 2 pills a day for 2 weeks. At the end of that cycle if there is no improvement the dosage will be 3 pills a day for 2 weeks- if no improvement then it will be 4 pills a day for 2 weeks. 4 pills a day is the highest the doctor will go.

The doctor said it is very difficult to figure out a dosage based on a Mouse study. The mice responded to the drug very quickly (72 hours). So based on that information the doctor decided to do 2 weeks cycles.

Thank you so much Kemm.
Did you notice something new about the behaveour of your Mom?

@ alessandroppp- just what I wrote yesterday. She had a bad night last night, unsure of everyone's role in our family.

I am going to hold off on day to day updating of her behavior because I really want my reporting of her behavior to be as accurate as possible as to not mislead any of you. So I will update every 2 weeks as she is reviewed by her physician and cognitive testing is done.

"So I will update every 2 weeks as she is reviewed by her physician and cognitive testing is done"

Thanks Kathleen, that's good enough, you r doing a great job.....

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you again for all your efforts, and best wishes. Look forward to your next update.

KATHLEEN you are right.Thank you for your great job.
look forward to your next update. Goodluck

KATHLEEN i hope everything is fine,for you and for all of us.
Did you notice something new with your Mom?.
Hugs to you guys.

Hi Kathleen. I hope you haven't had anything bad happen. I also hope you haven't forgotten about us. What is going on with you all right now is a pretty big thing, and many of us are dying to read your update. If you do forget to update, then please update whenever you see this. Don't be afraid, we definitely want to hear from you no matter how long it takes. Thanks and best wishes to you and yours.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AFA

Help the Alzheimer's Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Links and resources from AFA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

Information found on the Alzheimer's Foundation of America Support Community should not be considered a replacement for consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of AFA.