Coconut oil & Alzheimer's

After reading about use of coconut oil for Alzheimer's symptoms I decided to try on my 85 yr old mother- its been one week and her crying spells have diminished in frequency & severity- if that's the only thing that improves it will still be worth it- just wondering if anyone could share their experience with coconut oil usage

17 replies. Join the discussion

I've tried a couple of jars of it without effect. Correct dose is not available. I emailed the doc behind the cardinal report but never got a response. There is nothing but anecdotal data on the matter. There is no scientific report of efficacy, to my knowledge. If it's working for you, press the advantage, find the dose and report back, please. cpd

our neurologist said it was not a proven... but if it works for some and not for others worth a try... although I did see on Dr. Oz it is really a good vascular thing... with the blood thing it may be a vascular dementia and work that way... I will try but hope it does not taste like coconut as I do not like that flavor... how much to give he said about a full tbs a day... not sure what to do with it but will work on it..

Yes, please share the dosage & how you gave it to your mother - ingested, topically applied or what. The (new) doctor believes she may have vascular rather than alzheimer's per sec. I would just like a mood improvement.

I tried it on my husband but it did nothing. I have been trying axona but not a full dose as I don't expect it to work - in the info that came with it didn't work in clinical trials if you had that bad gene which he has.

SusieQ8... we are dealing with the genetic stuff too ... as my husbands older brother, his sister and now him.. all have it... God Bless you with is ...when it is a husband it is awful.. bad with a parent but much, much worse as a spouse... hugs

I read about coconut oil awhile back and tried it on my husband, but it did not work for him. I keep hoping someone will come across something that would work, but then I think I am just wishful thinking. I think to myself that there is nothing that really works and I just need to love my husband and take care of him the best I can. We do need hope in our lifes, so everyone keep hoping.
I have everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

When I used it, I just put it on bread for my husband.

I've been using it with my husband and I take it myself. I put a Tablespoon or less in a cup of coffee every morning. I did see an improvement after a month. We've probably gone through 10-12 large jars of it. It should be organic. I am sticking with it. It can't hurt you unless you start the dosage too high at first - it could cause diarrhia (sp) until you figure the correct dosage.

Lakegirl2 .. can you taste it in the Coffee.. I may put it in his orange juice... as he drinks that all day... thanks

I give her a total of 3 Tb per day now/ I did start w/ tsp but she seems to tolerate it well. I put in on toast for breakfast & then add to applesauce or yogurt for the others- she likes the taste of it in coffee but I can't be sure she will finish it - she continues to have shorter crying spells & just couple of times a day- she has asked a question w/ full sentence- she scored a 3 out of 30 on the mini- mental taken the day before beginning CO & will check her in a month to see if there's any improvement- another improvement is she. Ow stays awake during the day & has been sleeping thru nite (w/2 exceptions) When I heard the phrase " diabetes of the brain" it made sense for the first time- her brain can't process glucose & doesn't receive fuel to operate - the liver turns coconut oil into ketones which the brain can utilize- She has been taking Excelon for last 3 years & going downhill / will keep you posted

For those of you who have tried coconut oil, please continue with it but add three tablespoons of MCT oil per day as well. The coconut oil should be organic virgin coconut oil ... and unfortunately you will go through a jar pretty quickly!

Can someone please tell me what MCT oil is? Thank you.

In the health stores it is known as MCT oil ... this stands for medium chain triglycerides. This oil is extracted from coconuts.

Yes I use it on my wife and for cooking to,it work good for cooking but no change in remembering stuff,but then again some things work for one and do not for others?

Just want to advise you that MCT oil should never be used in cooking. It should be refrigerated and never heated. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is excellent for cooking and can take high heat.

I use only Virgin coconut oil and paid $70 dollars for one gal, it was ship to me from my neigbor county Madrea,_Ca. And yes u could use it for cooking oil.

Oh right now all the drugs from so call memory doctors do not repeat do not work either!!!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AFA

Help the Alzheimer's Foundation of America reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America

Discussion topics

Links and resources from AFA

Community leaders

Disclaimer

Information found on the Alzheimer's Foundation of America Support Community should not be considered a replacement for consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. Any views or opinions expressed on this site are not necessarily those of AFA.