XIFAXAN LONG-TERM

HI OUT THERE,
IS ANYONE ON XIFAXAN EVERYDAY INDEFINITELY? ANY CONCERNS? DID YOU DEVELOP A TOLERENCE TO THE ANTIBIOTIC AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE?

7 replies. Join the discussion

I took it for 2 weeks for SIBO and it nearly killed me with the abdominal bloating, pain and diarrhea. I've never heard of it being used indefinitely. Why do you need to?

have heard of it being used as part of a rotational course of antibiotics to treat bacterial overgrowth

I have been taking Rifaxin (1100 mgs per day) for three years and expect to be taking it forever. Due to EDS I have GERD, Gastroparesis with bacteria overgrowth, IBS, and pelvic floor dysfunction. I am not aware of any adverse reactions to Rifaxin. When I started out on the lower dose it did not seem to help. At the higher dose it definitly lowered the extremely painful stomach episodes and reduced some of the daily symptoms. I am grateful for it, except when I see the price of it. Let me know how you are doing as time goes on.

Is Rifaxin the same as Xifaxan?

Yes, Rifaxin is the same as Xifaxin.

Did xifaxan cure you?

Xifaxin is not a cure, but it does minimize the symptoms and reduce the frequency of the painful episodes that keep me in bed and unable to eat or drink anything including water. I am 62 years old and realize that some treatments may cause harm to other parts of my body, but I can accept that to have a better quality of life at this time.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders