What to do with rotten egg burps

With GP I get the worst rotten egg smelling and tasting burps from food rotting in my stomach. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to bring down the smell taste, or get the food to move a little faster? It's horrible cause it smells up a room.

11 replies. Join the discussion

You may want to get tested for SBBO (small bowel bacterial overgrowth). We tend to get bacterial infections from the rotting food which need to be treated with antibiotics. Also, I take Walgreen's SuperProbiotic to help promote good bacteria. If you can tolerate it, eat a bit of yogurt each day. Digestive enzymes are also helpful. You can find these in at GNC or other similar stores. :)

Hope this helps!
Mare

Hi Lovepink! I think I can kind of relate to what you are going through now although not yet to that severity. I am so bloated in this bad flare right now from the diarrhea in the past two months of antibiotics. I think the on-going flushing did not have to mean cleaning. I know it happens a lot with chronic diarrhea. I also burp up a storm almost every time I ate something. I get bad breath that I know coming from my track. It got nothing to do with brushing or cavity. I know it because it seems to gradually improve a bit in the past week since I got on a liquid diet while things were still going like I was having full meals every day. That told me how much things got stuck inside. The diarrhea did finally seem to stop in these couple days. I could not help it last night because I felt a big limp in my guts. So I took a dose of milk of magnesia. Theoretically I should not have had anything to clean after being on a liquid diet for more than a week and kept going inthe mean time. But there were still things to clean last night. I don't know what to tell you to do. I would never recommend Reglan to anyone given how much it has done to many (while it helped some, I believe) and my previous doc. He got blamed because one patient got severe side effects from it and had some lifetime damage. What I am trying to do to clear my track is to stay on liquid for a while to give my track time to slowly move things out and do MOM maybe once a week to help out. I personally perfer a more natural way to clean. Have you tried a puree diet or liquid diet? That should help things to move a little easier as long as we stick with the GP diet restrictions.

Thanks Mare! I started wondering about what is going on inside my track this week. After the experience last night, I start to have a stronger desire to call my NP. I have been eating yogurt every day on the past month that it is going to flare up my LPR. It helped a very little bit. I just started drinking honey and pineapple cottage cheese again. Maybe I should look at the probiotics to give it a try. Oh, Lovepink, you might want to look into digestive enzymes from papaya and pineapple. My stomach couldn't tolerate it but it helped my friend. Honey is supposed to have some digestive enzymes. It seems to help me a bit. You can look it up on internet.

I use ice breakers mints, peppermint tea and ginger tea to help banish the nasty burps. It doesn't work every time, but it helps some

Diana

That reminded me of the CVS brand antigas. It's not the one in bottles. They are in boxes with those pill cards for individual caps. They were green color last time I got them. Those actually made all my burps smell minty...but it gave me a headache though...

Manuka Honey in particular is supposed to a really good PRE-biotic. You can find it at Whole Foods. :)

That's my fave honey of all!

sometimes chewing a papaya tablet with or after a meal helps with me.

The full liquid diet in the last two weeks seems to be cleaning me up. The bloating is not as bad and the burps and breath are improving until I ate some squash that was prepared with some garlic. Those symptoms came back a bit. But it seems like things are overall moving to the right direction so far...and I lost 10 lbs in two weeks...that is a little scary to know how much I was holding up inside my stomach... Just want to let you know. Hope it helps you.

I had the same problem but mine started after a hiatus hernia operation, and a difficult intubation that led to my delay emptying of my stomach and the egg smell and vomiting and was advised to have a gastro jejuostomy operation to get the food moving. I had the operation and wish I never because I can no long mix liquids with solids and must avoid sugary foods for life my life has been turned on its head so to speak but for by that I am OK

I whish I would have tried a liquid diet of clear liquids and dry biscuits for a couple of weeks and took antibiotics to clear up overgrowth and blockage but then again I live in London England UK and we have national health service and Drs love doing operations rather then trying other remedies

But do not have any operations until you have exhorted all other avenues first

i have the same issue, and i actually use alka seltzer tablets and they rid the taste and smell completely.

Try mixing 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda in with a cup and a half of water. Drink it all as quickly as possible. This should take care of the issue immediately. If it doesn't help, repeat the process once more. The mixture tastes nasty, but it works for me every time. I find that the egg burps happen to me when I'm extremely stressed, or have eaten a lot of foods that contain sulfur. I've since cut back on such foods (sulfur is used as a preservative), and it has really helped a lot. Good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders