What NOT to mix Miralax with.

Sometimes I miss the obvious.

For the first five months of taking MIralax, I mixed it into 100% cranberry juice. This worked out dandily. The juice is strong in flavor which, I figured, would mask any taste the Miralax might have. It doesn't, really, have any discernible flavor of it's own. Just granulated plastic.

Last month I went through a week or so where I had a lot of diarrhea, which was followed by a depressive episode. (Though a bummer, the diarrhea wasn't the trigger, it was Mother's Day.) The episode was short, but strong enough to push me into a state of denying myself proper health care--including taking the Miralax. After nearly a fortnight off of it, I was back to my former glory days of constipation. Not a pretty thing at all.

When I did go back on the Miralax, I found the idea of mixing it into juice made me say "Blech." So I thought I'd try mixing it into other things. Foody things. I tried pudding first, and then my morning cereal. It wasn't until I was stirring it around in the last 1/4 cup of cereal this morning that I realize why it's a good idea to NOT mix Miralax into food.

Miralax works in our bodies by pulling moisture into the colon, softening up stool. Well it works the same in foods. It must pull moisture from the air, because both the pudding and the cereal changed viscosity. Still looked like pudding, tasted like pudding, but had the consistency of crepe batter. The cereal was worse. It loosened up and tasted watered down. I set it aside with a grimace. After a few minutes, I picked up the cup to rinse it out and there was water, actual freaking water, pooling at the bottom of the cup!

So, my fellow Miralaxers, I encourage you to stick with liquids for the Miralax. Try to use ones that are already somewhat thick and flavorful, or plain water. What have you found works best for your Miralax?

13 replies. Join the discussion

We use something called movicol over here in the uk but it sounds like the same stuff. It is vital that it is mixed with water....you can add cordial to it for flavour but mixing with food is a no no. This is because it works with the water to rehydrate the stool that is sitting in the bowel. It also replaces elecrolites and sodium etc that are lost when constipated. If you dont mix it with the correct amount of water it will draw water from somewhere else...which is why you got that reaction when you added it to the pudding. If you notice it has a slightly salty taste to it if you mix it with plain water. I find that if I mix it with blackcurrant cordial it changes colour from purple to blue but it tastes much better lol.

I didn't care too much for the miralax, but when I did take it I mixed it into my Bedtime Tea at night. Couldn't really taste it much- and I am very sensitive to drinking nasty things. It really is pretty tasteless, and whatever taste there might have been was hidden by the herbal flavor of the tea.

I was told only to mix Miralax with water from my doctor because the ion concentration can shift and it will not be effective. I found a huge difference when I quit missing it with juice. Taste is bad, but it works better.

Hi Marianne,

I have been mixing mine with water and those cool new flavorings called MIO. They have no sugar or anything...just flavor. The strawberry watermelon is pretty good!

Mare

I've never noticed any taste to it. Then again I don't have much of a sense of taste anymore.

I usd to mix Miralax with juice too. It also used to work. When the GP first got worse, the Miralax went from 1 x a day to 6x a day, not much help at all! Now, when my Amitzianand Colcrys are not enough, I go to the Natural Calm. I think it is very bitter tasting, still better then constipation.
Amy

My doctor has said that when needing to do a clean out, mixing Miralax with Gatorade is what he recommends hands down.

Gatorade definitly works best. I have also tried other things but always go back to Gatorade.

M, I always say Belch when I am done with the miralax too. If I drink it with something warm it works faster for me. I always feel so full after I drink it too. I would rather drink miralax than "GO Lytely" nothing lytely about that stuff!! I think I tried mixing miralax in with some sugar free pudding also and it was clumpy and then turned the pudding to a watery mess. At least we know it makes things watery (: Im glad your posting again I have missed you my friend. Just like the song says, "aint no sunshine when she's gone." Hugs M, O

Cheers, everyone. Good comments all. Yah when we go to the market Wednesday I'll pick up some more juice. It's really the best medium for me to use with the Miralax. Was good to find out (as I had been curious) that Miralax doesn't work mixed in with any kind of solid. Happy knowledge.

Yah been a little quiet later, O. Just got up from the depressive hit from Mother's Day when Father's Day took a swing and knocked me back on my ass again. I'll be okay. I'll just go back to juice for the Miralax, work the diet, enjoy the good tummy days, be happy with Aric, and try to let go of some of the pain from missing my parents.

Hugs!

Wish I could think of something funny to say, but I can't. I don't use miralax, I use CALM. But I just wanted to give you a hug, love Lesly

Mix with water and inject through the J tube.

Damn, Ubs, why didn't I think of that?! I know I have an extra straw around here somewhere and Aric's pocketknife is sharp . . .

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders