Vomiting Through The Nose

It seems like every day I experience something new or read about someone else experiences something new.

Today I started vomiting through my nose. I was upchucking so violently that some of it didn't want to wait it's turn and escape through my mouth it came flying out of my nose.

Is this normal? I would close pin off my nose from now I when I heave, but I scared where else it might go., just sayin'

What's a guy with GP to do? Sheesh, I thought I had heard/seen it al.

21 replies. Join the discussion

I have also violently vomited causing this phenomenon - vomit escaping out the nose! Burns and makes your eyes water! I wouldn't plug your nose eventhough vomiting through the nose is very unpleasant. I don't know how to prevent this. I really don't think it is avoidable sometimes. Just another unpleasant experience associated with GP. So sorry you had to experience it!

Sadly I have also done that and it is really horrible. I wouldn't close off my nose if I were you because it might shove it all up into your sinuses and yikes, that would really be awful!
Hopefully this was just a particularly intense session and it won't happen again.
Hugs-
Wendy

Been there and done that.

I wouldn't close up my nose either. I was told I could rinse my nose with salt water to take the edge off the burn.

Yep, I hate it when that happens. Even after I blow my nose and shower and rinse with mouthwash and do everything I can think of I wind up smelling vomit for hours.

That was my first instinct was to snort some mouthwash. Everyone wants mint fresh nostrils.

I snort water after that happens. Man it's nasty ain't it? Heh.

Later

Instead of water or mouthwash or plain salt water- look into the saline solution by NeilMed. It's buffered so it doesn't irritate your nose as much. I have this squirt bottle thingy that is made by the same people that makes it a really easy process.
http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php

I have ongoing constant sinus issues that are making me crazy. My husband is a scuba and free diver so hangs out with this international crowd of divers/underwater photographers. A lot of them have sinus issues from the diving, and one of them recommended this stuff to me. I got some off of amazon.com and it really is good stuff!

Thanks Uberhiker and Wendy. I already had one operation on my sinuses, Don't wanna repeat on that.
I think I do have some saline nose spray from my sinus operation....hmm good call. This nose ralphing thing just started happening to me and I can tell it's the latest and greatest thing my body wants me to endure.

LOL, sorry but it's funny because I understand that statement, heh.

i truly truly envy you, i would swap, better out than in you all the time.....................................

I have puked out my nose so many times I gave up counting!! I agree with you that you smell the puke for hours, and its just an awful feeling. I have puked on myself (too weak to get to the toilet on time), puked on my hair (didn't have enough time to tie it back), puked in the yard (the dogs loved it) and then puked again because ewwwww why are dogs like that????

What I do is keep an empty kleenex box, filled with paper towel, on the back of the toilet. When I start puking I try and hold a piece over my nose and eyes (doesn't it feel like sometimes your eyes will end up in the bowl with the puke?). I don't block my nose, I just keep the paper towel there to catch the puke, and find that sometimes it may help stop some bigger chunks from trying to get out that way. I know it does help my eyes though.

Sorry that you had to experience that. Hope it doesn't happen again.

:)

THE LATEST AND GREATEST....... IT'S AMAZING SOME OF THE THINGS OUR BODIES DO TO US. BUT, I THINK YOU'RE OKAY ON THIS ONE YOU MIGHT GET A STRANGE LOOK, BUT PROBABLY NOT "ARE YOU SURE?" OR "THAT CAN'T BE".

Gee what a delightful post! hehehe...

Just for a bit of info that's neither here nor there...my GI doc told me that the "puke nose parlor trick" happens when there's abnormal motility in the esophagus, or none at all. So, I guess when it happens we can blame a lazy esophagus along with a lazy good-for-nothing stomach. Hey at least we're sticking with a theme! LOL

Heidi

We really know how to have a good time, don't we?
lol!

That's right Wendy GP Party City right here!! And you said it Heidi Red Tape. Another body part of mine, which is most likely also the case with everyone else here is that I was diagnosed with a lazy colon aka EBS. Just wondering why all of these body parts are wearing out before the warranty?

I thought I was born in a hospital maybe it was KMart, just saying.

I am also part of the puke through your nose club. That was the first year after my surgery. Now I can't puke and want to. Can't poop either. Shesh! What a life!

Nancy what kind of surgery? nasal or stomach?

I too have had vomit come from my nose. Although it was more like stomach acid and bile. I cannot puke properly because of the Nissen I had done years ago. But I can retch with the best of you! Oh the joys and wonders of GP, ain't we a "lucky" crowd?

Sheesh!!!! Thanks for reminding me of some of the benefits of no longer being able to puke. I always did the puke from the nose thing as a child so I thought everyone did it! bad memories, uuuuugh! Other than that, I agree with all of Wendy's recommendations. (And here I had forgotten about the puke nose thing!!!!!!!!)
Barb

My surgery was not nasal. Basically I fell off a horse and ruptured my diaphram (had an existing hernia in the area) and my stomach and colon went up in my chest and collasped my lung. The surgeon decided to do a nissen proceedure while he was in there. I had hundreds of stiches inside and out. For about a year afterward anything I swallowed would suddenly and without warning come violently flying back up and out. If I was in the process of swallowing at the time it came out my nose. What I learned from the experience- The worst thing to vommit through your nose is anything hot or acidity. The least painful was a milkshake. Milk chocolate never triggered any vommiting. Important to know as that is what I survived on for the first couple of months.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders