Vomiting Feces?

I want to thank you for taking the time to read this. I also want to thank you in advance for any input you could give.

Let me begin by telling you I have Chronic Idiopathic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction. (CIIP) Gastroparasis is all a part of CIIP.

This is a topic I have been avoiding for quite some time because it is not only gross and factual...but could be somewhat embarassing to some. I haven't read of anyone continuously throwing up, vomiting feces or body temperature dropping during one of these episodes.

When I throw up it usually lasts for 10-12 hours. It seems as if it is never ending. After about the first hour I begin vomiting feces. There is no mistaking the fact of what it is. If there is ever any question, my husband can definately verify since he is the one to empty the bowls.

I was wanting to know if this happens to any one else and how often. Thanks again for any sharing you may contribute. It would help me a great deal. It is especially disturbing since my dr. hasn't heard of this nor does she believe me.

Hoping and praying you have a productive day,
Loie

Edited March 16, 2009 at 5:46 pm

43 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Loie,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have not experienced this, so I can't offer any advice, but I wanted to thank you for being brave enough to share it. I know there is someone out there suffering as you are and your words will remind them they are not alone. I pray that you will find relief and hope.

Kellie

Kellie,

Thank you for responding. I didn't know if anyone had even read this. I am sure I can't be the only one. I just thought there would be more and someone that would respond. I did hope that this would open up a discussion for someone having the same thing going on with them. We are all so different.

Thanks again for your kind words. They are more apppreciated than you will ever know. I am glad you don't experience the same. It is very annoying to put it mildly.

I appreciate your prayers. I do have hope but definately need relief. Thank you.

Do you have Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction? I wonder if Chronid "Idiopathic" Intestinal Pseudo- obstruction makes a difference.?

Take Care of Yourself,
Loie

Hi Loie:

I sometimes throw up constantly too. Especially the last few days. It occurs about every 10 minutes. The higher dose IV Zofran does not seem to help but I finally tried Ativan under my tongue and that seems to help for a while. It's miserable. I think it's just as bad for the people who are around us when it happens.

Mimi

My daughter does throw up feces to when she does the throwing up. During the vomiting her temp does go low around 96 degrees so I guess that is common. She has neuropathic obstructive pseudo motilitly disorder. I hope this helps. Normally they will admit her in the hospital and do a cleanout on her because it is a sign of being severely backed up.

Mimi,

I usually wind up after about 8 hours, lying in bed with my face resting on the bowl continuously vomiting. I really have no idea where it all comes from.

The Zofran does nothing for me at all. I have never tried Ativan. I wonder, if Valium would do the same since they are in the same family. It is worth a try, Perhaps that is what I will do the next time.

Do you go to the ER when that starts?

Thank you for taking the time and energy to reply.

Take Care,
Loie

ProudmonX2,

I am so sorry you have a child that has this problem. That must be very difficult for you to watch and be a part of. I know my husband has a difficult time...extremely difficult. He feels completely helpless. My 12 year old daughter gets terribly frightened. I just can't imagine being a parent though.

I don't go to the hospital until after about 10 hours (most of the time, not at all) because they really don't know what to do except do an xray which shows nothing, hydrate me and give an oral Zofran which I already take on a daily basis for the normal nausia I experience. (Not to mention, the oral Zofran comes right back up which they don't seem to care about.) I find the hospital more uncomfortable and totally useless. It just wears me out more than I already am.

I hope to find a knowledgable GI that I can call the next time this happens. Perhaps he/she will know what to do.

It makes sense that the cause could be from being backed up. But when this happens to me, I have several BM"s and severe abdominal pain prior to the vomiting of feces. Perhaps the obstruction is a bit higher than hers.

How old is your daughter? I am so sorry for your heart ache.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read my post and respond.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Loie

Mimi,

Do you have intestinal motility disorders? Also, have you ever thrown up feces and your temp. drop? Have you done anything differently for this to happen these past few days? Has it happened in the past also?

Thoughts and Prayers,
Loie

The friend whom I am caring for has a life history of nausea, vomiting, IBS and others . A month ago she had a dual GJ tube installed because she vomited anything she tried to eat including liquied diets. In the process of using fluoroscopy to guide placement of the tube, her IR saw that she has a condition called "intestinal malrotation" that developed before birth and which classically causes a lifetime of intestinal pseudo-obstructioon. You called your pseudo-obstruction ideopathic which simply means they don't know the cause of it. I suggest you consider having a knowledgable physician do a fluoroscopic examination to see if you might have 'malrotation' as a cause. I have learned that there is a procedure that can correct this condition. If you are interested, google "intestinal malrotation" in adults. It is usually corrected in childhood but not always. I really believe many more suffer from this condition and have it falsely labeled because not many physicians seem to be knowledgable regarding the adult expression of this configuration defect.

Hi Loie:

Yes, I have dysmotility throughout. I have never thrown up feces but I do throw up bile sometimes. It's painful for me to throw up since having the nissen fundoplication. And it's almost harder to throw up. Harder in the sense that the wretching is painful but a lot of times nothing comes up (though I don't take anything in). I never took my temperature during these episodes. Not sure if Valium would work. They are in the same family but I remember the nurses telling me specifically that they give chemo patients sublingual Ativan for severe nausea. They tried it for me in the hospital and it worked. My GI said that it was fine to use that. The IV Zofran works for me when the nausea is mild, but not when it's severe. Just weird because I'm on the highest dose the GI doctor will allow (I keep begging for a higher dose but 8mg three times a day is my limit). I'm only about 88 pounds so you would think these higher doses would work. Anyway, I'm on TPN so that could have something to do with the nausea (my pancreatic enzymes are always very elevated) but I think it might be from the autonomic neuropathy. This has been going on since that started in 2006. I don't go to the hospital because I have IV access (hickman), IV Zofran, Ativan, and IV fluids all here. Not sure they would do anything different and it's a pain going there. I'm in the hospital enough.

Mimi

Loie,
Have the doctor's had you try the sublingual Zofran that dissolves under your tongue? I can't keep down the zofran pills or any others when I'm having a really bad vomiting spell so the last time the doctor gave me 8mg. sublingual zofran. It worked better than the regular pills plus you don't throw it up. The only thing is I hate the taste of any kind of medicine so just the short time I have to taste it dissolving on my tongue makes me gag.
But, thought it might be worth checking into if you haven't tried it.
Judy

Judy,

Thanks. I go see a new GI this coming Tuesday. I hope and pray she is knowledgable. I will talk to her about the zofran. Worth a try!

Take Care,
Loie

A1929,

Thanks for the info. I will research intestinal malrotation. In 2002 I had abdominal surgery (cut from stem to stern) for Carcinoid Cancer. At that time the dr. told me he had never seen any intestings like mine. He thought it was "funny and cute" the way they looped...even after he flipped them back into place. ?

The drs. think the idiopathic has something to do with the brain surgery I had in 1975. I was born with a cyst in the center of my brain that filled up with fluid which in turn caused my brain to lie on my skull. Therefore, they think many problems I have stem from that... including the CIIP. My entire digestive tract is involved...from start to finish.

Thanks for taking the time to get me that information.

Loie

Mimi,

I am sorry you are having so many issues right now. It must make it so much worse having had the nissen done! I definately will try the Ativan next time. Also, since I have an appt. with a new GI March 17th I will discuss the zofran. I too take 8mg. 3 times daily...but I don't weigh 88 pounds by far. I remember when I did and I know every pound counts. Keep counting!

Take care and thanks for taking the energy and time to respond.

Loie

Hi Loie:

I also have the oral dissintegrating Zofran like Judy described. There are two forms - one that has a minty taste and takes a little while to dissolve, and one that comes in a little foil packet that dissolves instantly and has no taste. Neither one works that well for me, but I just wanted to let you know about the forms. I have not received the minty one for a long time so the pharmacies may just be giving out the others, I'm not sure. I hope it works for you!

Mimi

Mimi,

Thank you so much for the time, energy and info. I will talk to the GI Tuesday.

Hope you have a productive week.

Take Care. Many thoughts and prayers ,
Loie

Good luck, Loie!

Mimi

Mimi,

Thanks. I actually completely forgot about having the GI appt. tomorrow. So much "family" business has happened this week end I have thought of nothing else...

I just looked at my planner for another appt. and noticed the appt for tomorrow. Good thing I looked. I have waited a long time for this appt. I actually am not looking very forward to it because I don't want to hear how well I really must be doing because I am so overweight. I don't really have a very high regard for drs.

When I was finally diagnosed with Chronic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction I was sent to a psychiatrist and told it was all in my head because of the word "pseudo" and "idiopathic". She said "pseudo" means false and "idiopathic" means unknown, therefore it is not real and not known where it comes from. That only means you have a false illness that is in your head. I bought into that for a couple of years. Meanwhile ... you know the story!

I am sorryto have gone on as I did. Guess I HATE seeing drs...especially a new one!

Thanks again for taking your energy to respond. I also thank you for caring.

You take care of you,
Loie

Thanks for your good wishes

My daughter is almost 5. It has been very difficult to deal with but we are learning. We are still trying to find what is best for her. She has a cecostomy button and that seems to help some but she still backs up. They are talking about doing a gtube so that she can be put on liquid feed don'treally know how to feel about that. I just want something that helps no matter what it is. Well I hope that your appt tomorrow goes well. I will be praying and keep us posted. Never know something that helps you may help someone else and the other way around someone that helps my little one may help you.

ProudmomX2,

I also will be praying for you and your little one. You are absolutely correct when it comes to each of us helping each other.

I believe I was born with Chronic Idiopathic Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction but wasn't diagnosed until I was 30...in 1985. Yet, I have learned so much since I have found this site. I feel as if I have been living in the dark ages and finally have been enlightened. In 1985 so little was known.

I was to have a J Tube put in in 1990 but the dr. never followed through with it. I now wish I had something to eleviate the pain. I understand the JTube can help with the pressure.

What is a cecostomy button? Also, what is the difference between a JTube and GTube? Whichever, I sincerely hope it helps!

Thank you for thinking of my appt tomorrow. I will keep you posted. Hopefully, I will either find out if this dr. knows something about motility disorders and can help me or knows nothing at all!

Please take care of yourself in the process of learning to deal with your precious little child! Even though your child is your number one priority, you need to watch out for you too. I think it is sometimes as difficult on the care giver in many cases...although.. . I am not in your shoes. I am only concerned and care.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
Loie

It is very hard for our family. It puts such strain on our marriage because I stay so stressed about it that I seem to neglect my husband. I pray that one day they will find a cure or wonderful treatment. The difference between a jtube and gtube is a gtube is in the stomach and the j tube is in the small intestine. A cecostomy is a button put in the cecum since her large bowel is what is effected and we flush out her large bowel once a day. It is ok although she still backs up just not as often as before. I pray that your appt. goes well. Please keep us posted. We go back to our GI on the 13th of April to have her central line removed and talk about a gtube. Everyone is saying that could help so I def will be discussing it with him. Well I will chat with you later.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders