TPN vs J TUBE

My daughter has been approved for TPN treatment for
GP, but was informed her insurance covers only 50% of the program. This will amount to $600 per week!!!!! She will have to quit her job to apply for Medicade and SS and will have to sell her home. Is there a big difference between TPN and J Tube treatment! If so what? Is one better than the other, is there a difference in cost?? Can you work with either after nighttime treatment? Please advise Thanks

13 replies. Join the discussion

I can only speak for the TPN, as I have been on it for 3 months. It is rather expensive but if you are in the shape that I was, not able to eat or drink anything, it is well worth it. Generally the tpn is ordered in 12 hour cycles over night. Both introduce the possibility of infection but with care and attention they should be fine. I would think the cost is ab the same.

Hope this helps
Chris

I had a Hickman Catheter placed for TPN. I was on TPN for 7 weeks and it is VERY expensive. My pump ran 12 hours at night. It was covered under my insurance. My catheter became badly infected and had to be removed. Now I have a J-tube which is also covered by insurance but it is 1/4 of the price. I run it 13-16 hours during the day.

I was on TPN from May 2009 until Jan 2010..I had a nurse come every week (she draw labs and clean dressing) and received 7 bags of TPN every week. My bill after insurance (from May-to Jan, about 8 months) was about $3500...this does not include the bill for my PICC line placement...I now have a mediport, but no longer do TPN (fingers crossed :O)

I was on TPN for about a year and with no insurance it cost me about $1,100 a week. It is very expensive and I was told that it is not as good for you as getting the nutrition through your gut. Also, longterm it has a big chance for infection, and because I went for so long without eating anything by mouth I started to swell up from the IVs. I am holding at least 10 pounds of fluids and all though I weigh 130 it looks like I should weigh about 170. I am now using a J Tube which is supposed to be much better for you. When "regular" people eat their nutrition is absorbed through the intestines. So it is better to "eat" this way. Also, you just pour in regular Ensure or Boost which costs about a dollar a can and you put in anywhere from 4-7 cans a day. HUGE price difference! I would talk to your daughter's doctor but I really think this is the way to go. A word of caution that I wish someone had told me. Do not put the nutrition in too quickly. You need to go slowly and build up to the amount that you need. I didn't know this and put it in too quickly and floated my tube out of place. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Hi-
A j-tube is more desirable usually because you are still using your digestive tract. It is a better option than TPN if your intestines are working. It is also much much cheaper than TPN. I was using a j-tube until my intestines stopped working so I have no other option other than TPN.
-RJ

I have never had a TPN but have a j tube which works well for feeding and nutrition. Be

My daughter has lived with a j-tube for over 7 years now. Her GI made it clear he would only do TPN if nothing else worked due to the risk factor. I would definitely try a j-tube first if her intestines work. At first my daughter ran her pump 23 hours a day ( she had a portable one that she could take out with her ) but now she mainly runs it at night.

I too had a j-tube. It does not sound like it is as expensive as the TPN option. The formula, however, can get a bit expensive. If you have a j-tube, over the counter formulas like Boost and Ensure cannot be used. You have to use feeding pump formula like Jevity. If you have a g-tube that goes into your stomach, I believe you can use the Ensure type nutrition products. Be sure to price out your nutritional options with your insurance company before you decide what to do. I hope this helps.
gijen

I was not a candidate for a j-tube and have been on TPN since November 2009. We had to go through review at our insurance company and they have agreed to pay everything except our $3500 deductible...which we did within the first couple of weeks. I would go back to the insurance company with a letter from your doctor stating medical necessity. Good luck.

what is a mediport?

I was on TPN too for awhile and it helped my nutrition level a lot but the line became infected and I was SO sick . The doctors pulled the line and we went to the J-tube. The j-tube and formulas have been much cheaper for me and I was told that it is also much safer than TPN just because of the risk of infections involved with TPN and the lines.
I used Jevity for my feedings but I have been told by both my surgeon and my doctor that while I'm on my trip that it is o.k. to use Ensure or Boost in my J-tube because it is much easier to get in most places and that way I don't have to worry about packing it and can just buy it there.
They did tell me to try them before I went though because the sugar content is higher in them and could cause diahreea when going through the j-tube.
Judy

Okay.. I have never been on the TPN. I had a J tube though! It saved my life. I went from 130 lbs. to 82 lbs. when my doctor said I j tube was my only choice for survival! I too had to quit my job. Have her apply to SS NOW! Sometimes it takes a while to get on it. You take control of the tube though. Keep it clean yourself so you have no infections. Mine would ooozz everyday, but i would take a wet cloth to it and wipe it away and I was fine. Also, you can take the tube to your stomach so it wont be as noticeable. No one would have known I had mine until I showed them! I did my tube feedings at night. Start it early at night while watching a movie and usually by the time you wake up it's done and ready to disconnect! I hope she feels well enough to work, I know I didn't! Also, I believe if you make more than 800 dollars a month, you can not get on medicaid! Don't quote me though. I don't know what state your from but Massachusetts supplied an insurance for me called MassHealth! Hopefully your state has something comprable! good luck!

Thank you so much for you information. It seems the J-tube outnumbers the TPN by quite a margin. My daughter has decided however to go with the TPN this time around. She had the J-tube 8 years ago for a year before getting the pacemaker and had difficulty with a blockage, slipping etc. Maybe the tube operates a little better now than it did then.
Thanks again and will keep you posted.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders