tose who have inertia and ibs-c

Well, I don't know why my body has done a real turn around, at least for the past month...... I have experimented with magnesium supplements and have found the brand Magox sold in us drug stores to work for my chronic constipation. This has worked better than duccolax, milk of magnesia, amitiza, sennocot and miralax, and aloe juice and all fiber supplements. I am dumb founded on how well this is working for me. I have been taking 2 tabs (400 mg) before bed, but I also can take only 1 tab (200mg) and I am getting results. This is Magnesium oxide. I have tried other brands at the health food stores including the citrate forms. I found the citrate forms to be too strong and they made me feel tired and even a little dizzy, Especially the "calm" brand. For me this works along with no wheat or dairy. Maybe this can help someone else so I am posting this info today. I was getting close to considering surgery because my bowels were not working with the laxatives. With this regime I am hoping to try to retain them to work more on their own. This is different than milk of magnesia!!!!!!! Milk of magnesia is a drug and personally makes me very ill. I have also read reviews that some people use miralax in the am and then use magnesium tablets in the evening. To me this is a safer way to stimulate the bowel without chemical stimulants like duccolax. I also have one other point. I was using on oat cereal a almond milk or rice milk. I found that some brands have calcium carbonate added. This can be a real problem with constipation!!!!!!!!!! I now am using very small amount of pure soy milk, which is fine for me. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!

7 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you very much!!
I recently bought CVS brand mag oxide, but the pills are really hard to swollow.

Be sure if you are taking mag oxide (TBOjo) that you get the CAPSULES, not the tablets. Because our digestion is so slow, those tablets tend to sit like little rocks and not dissolve. So you just end up pooping out the tablet. The capsules melt and open and so you can access the contents easier.
I also have very good luck with magneisum oxide- I take the TwinLabs brand. As long as I take it every day I do well. Unfortunately when I get busy, on the road, etc., I forget to take it and then I have to start all over again. It takes a few days to start working (probably because with small bowel dysmotility and colon inertia it takes that long to get to where it needs to go).
I find that the mag ox works better than magnesium citrate and what I read is that mag citrate is better absorbed, so not as much of it makes it to your colon where it needs to be to draw water in.
It works much better for me than miralax (ugh). My doc wants me to try amitiza but I'm not real excited about it- I tried it a year ago and seems like it made me feel bad.

Wendy The twinlab did not work as well for me, so there you go on how different we all are. The magox is supposed to be pharmaceutical grade. For some reason it works for me. Ditto on the amitiza. It made me feel ill and also did not work consistently. It is harsh in my opinion. Gave me headache and chest pain. The magox pills are small round pills. Stay with what works, and good contnued health!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Where do you get the magox (is that the brand name?). Maybe I'll try those next time, the twinlabs capsules are pretty big.

yes magox is the name, comes in a small box in the vitamin isle at walgreens. I am sure they are probably available on line too. I take the magox 400 Serving is 2 tabs=400mg. Which I like because I can take only 1 if I want and get 200mg. Green and white label on bottle. You can read reviews online with people who have tried it. I am glad that the "calm" stuff did not work for me, as I found the price outrageous and personally I am not in favor of supporting scientology, which is the people who make that stuff. The magox is a lot cheaper. The tablets are the size of aspirin.

WOW, you are kidding! I had no idea that was scientology! My brother was in scientology (he was a member of celebrity centre because he had written a screenplay that was optioned). He was living with my parents when he died in 1974, and he had put my parents on the scientology mailing list. In 1990, my mother moved in with us here, and she died in 1994. Now, in 2012, about every other month I get TWO glossy, expensive, full-color magazines from celebrity center. So- 38 years later, we are STILL getting very expensive magazines in the mail from them in spite of never having responded in any way. This just shows you how much money they have an as organization. If you don't order from LL Bean for a couple of years they will stop sending you a catalog because it's too expensive to produce, print, and mail if they don't get any response.

Thanks Wendy!!
That's why they didn't work. I took 2500 mgs. I got the capsule shaped tablets. I think you mentioned capsules in your other posts and I didn't catch that part.
Darn!!! I tried amitiza a few years back and had horrible side effects. I would never try it again. My current GI mentione it, I told him no way!!

Thanks Kavita!
Things get stuck in my thoat quite easily and it's good to know that magox are small pills.
I would have just kept buying stuff.

Thanks again!!!
Jo

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders