Reglan and ? side effects

I am waking up in the early hours and not being able to go back to sleep. I cant get comfortable, keep flip flopping and wiggling my legs. I thought it was RLS from anemia, but am wondering about reglan. I have been on it about 10 days. I have almost constant dull pain in top of my head and tell my hubs my head doesnt feel right. Hard to describe! Anyone with this experience?

23 replies. Join the discussion

I haven't experienced that but I did have stroke like symptoms when I was on it for 7 days in the hospital.

I hated Reglan, only stayed on it for five days and that was enough for me. I felt like I was walking around in a huge depressive fog. Didn't realize how awful it made me until I quit taking it. I have one friend who still has involuntary twitches and tics from it a couple of years after he stopped taking it. If you have ANY DOUBT, then I would say don't take it (talk to your doc, although in my experience they all say "I've had patients on it for years with no problems").
I take domperidone- works really well for me, and I have virtually no side effects from it. Good luck!

I recently tried Reglan and took myself off of it. 3wks on it & I developed a slight tremor in my hands. It's still there. I dont know about any of the other symptoms you're exp, but if they started, or got worse, with reglan then stop taking it! Only then will you know if its RLS or the med. it can be hard to tell sometimes... (:

Only had two IV doses of Reglan, the second of which was given along with Benadryl. After each one I had coarse intention tremors in my hands for hours that were truly frightening. I will never allow anyone else to talk me in to taking it ever again.

Thanks everyone. I'm just gonna give it a titch more time. I've heard so many scary things. I'm on about 10 days. Thanks for your warnings and caring. I might skip bedtime dose and see if that helps. Thanks everyone.

I've had multiple bad reactions to Reglan. I've had it twice in an IV (my whole body shook so bad after the second dose I seriously thought I was having a seizure and they couldn't draw blood from me it was so bad!) and then I tried it in pill form once. Every time I had the worst panic attacks. But for sure when I ahd it in pill form I was very jittery and could not sit still. I remember my mom was staying with me and we were trying to play a baord game after I took the Reglan and I just kept getting up to pace around. And actually for me, when I laid down to go to sleep I felt my stomach twitching and spasming so bad. You could actually see it! And it didn't help me actually move food through, it just HURT!

On the other hand I'm very anemic now and I get some of the RLS/anemia stuff. But it feels milder and much different then the Reglan. Mostly I'll be laying in bed and my leg will spasm or jump a bit but I usually can get to sleep eventually. It's more a minor annoyance. WIth the Reglan though, it was severe but not so much in my legs any of the times I had it. So hard to say but personally my bets are on the Reglan especially with the funny feeling in your head (but then again, even that could be anemia... I'm so brain foggy exhausted in my ehad almost all the time...). But be careful with the Reglan, if it gets any worse, call the doctor who prescribed the Reglan as soon as possible. And watch out for any emotional side effects because Reglan can really terrible that way.

started almost immediately with tremors in my thigh. was told this may not be irreversible. Stopped and wont go back on.

I was given Reglan in the hospital before I knew anything about it. My legs would start twitching and jumping which never happened before. I refused to take any more of that medication, they didn't give me anything to replace it, just noted I refused to take medication. Now I am very happy my common sense prevailed, that I stopped it. Now I know a lot more about Reglan and the fact it can be, and often is, very bad news. pamela

i was on it for more then 3yrs it caused my prolactin leavels to max out over 200 and the doc thought for sure i had a tumore on my pituary gland plus my boobs startde leaking milk.i would twitch in my legs arms chest was told it was all from the reglan it can cause you to have parkensens like issues so if your having the twiches already best to stop taking it now.theres a reason docs are getting sued now due to that drug and most docs here in az wont write for it anymore.

Tzipora's post sounds exactly like my experience. My mother was also with me and she thought I was going crazy. I not only could stay still, but I also felt like things were crawling all over me. For those with permanent damage; there are people suing for the damage.

Wow, after reading these posts I feel more confident in my decision not to try Reglan. My GI suggested Reglan and I declined, due to the fact that I already have a neuromuscular disorder and mild tremor already. With the type of work I do, fine motor skills are a must (mine are deteriorating). After I declined my GI basically pushed my out of his office.

I also refused to take the Reglan because as I understand it the side effects that may develop from taking Reglan are IRREVERSIBLE even when you stop taking Reglan. Reglan actually breaks the blood-brain barrier and affects the Central Nervous System, the twitches that people refer to are a direct result of that and again this does not go away when you stop taking Reglan. If you haven't already I would at the very least discuss what you are feeling with your doctor.

Reglan made me feel like I wanted to crawl out of my skin hated it also really not good to take for long periods of time can make your whole body twitch really bad

I was on Reglan a few years ago for my Neuropathy related Gastroparesis. I do not remember headaches, but it was a while ago. I have Neurapathy as well. I had stopped raking the reglan because I did not feel that it was working effecyively for me, or it worked too well. After seeing a Gastroenterologist, I was told that if I had not already stopped taking it, that they would have recommended I stop, because it has been shown that because it crosses the blood-brain-barrier, Reglan can cause permanant nerve damage...which I do not need more of...
Most of my nerve damage is in my feet, and it often makes me uncomfortable and restless at night..and I found while on Reglan this was worse.

You mention nerve damage in the feet. I have nerve damage in my toes, I don't know where it came from. I do believe it may have come from a failed herniated esophagas operation. But the doctors tell/told me nothing, acting like the damage just happened for unknown reasons. Maybe it did, somehow I doubt it.

Do you know how your damage occurred? Anything like my experience? Pamela

My nerve damage occured because I have had type one diabetes for almost 15 years now, and did not manage it well in the past. The type of nerve damage that I have in known as Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. I actually have a lot of health issues...and the Diabetes, Neuropathy and GP are just a few lol.

Thank you!! pam

HI I have been on Relgan since 2007 and I'm having all kinds of bad side effects I know it cuases nerve damage so I want to get off of it.. How do I go about getting Domperan? I don't know how to really spell it but I know it's not allowd the united states.. I want to get off of Reglan.. Can anybody help me with something else I can take??

How do I go about gettting domperidone? I live in the untited states???

I order domperidone from this site http://www.inhousepharmacy.biz/ You don't need a prescription and it usually takes about 2 weeks to ship here.

It's cheaper than the compounding pharmacy near me.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders