Recipes For Gastroparesis

Would anyone be interested in starting a recipe group or page containing recipes from the group?It may even be a possibility that we could have one printed and available to members like our church had last year.

40 replies. Join the discussion

I think starting a recipe page would be great. So many of us are so different in our symptoms/disorders. What we eat could help someone else. I have been on a liquid diet due to bowel surgery 7 months ago. It is so hard to come up with anything that can be put in a blender that tastes good so I would love to get idea. Thank god for the posting from "mphotographer" who helped me so much.

I would love to have a recipe page. I am the primary care taker for my mom. It is tough to come up with recipes that are new and that she can eat. I look online a lot and find a few ideas, but she is recently diagnosed and we are still trying to figure out which foods she can eat. Some days she can eat certain foods and then other days they come right back up.

I would also love to see a recipe page. I still can eat some solid foods but they sure are the same things over and over.

Yes, I'd love to see a recipes page here. I too can still eat solid foods and sometimes I'll make something that works well for me and I want to share it. I'll keep my eye out to hopefully see this page in the future!

Regi

Since I am addicted to food blogs, and can eat solids-as long as they strictly follow the low residue diet and are gluten free, I tried doing a food blog a while ago but it got tiring posting every dinner online with an explanation! I would be very interested in seeing some type of recipe book or website, especially since there are days where I should probably just be having liquids but can never really find anything that appetizing.

Yes yes yes! I would love this! I am constantly searching the internet for soup recipes and other blended things. That sounds like a great idea! I love to cook and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with = )

I would love to see a recipe exchange page with some new ideas. I get tired of eating the same old things and I want some flavor too. So many of GP diets call for dairy and many of us are lactose intolerant. I've been experimenting with soy products too.

Let's get it started!

Annie

Yes, I would love to find some recipes for GP. That would help me out a lot.

Jen

Hi all-
I think there is a group on this website that is working on a recipe book, but....everyone is so sick and I think that's why it's taken so long to put together. But I agree with all the above posts-maybe we could all start right here, posting one favorite recipe? I don't know...it could be a lot of printing :-)).

Thanks for the nice comment shamrockmom. I am so glad that some of my recipes worked for you. And like you said Annie, I get tired of the same old things and would love some new ideas!

Hope everyone had some moments of peace today-
Mphotographer

Thanks to everyone that replied .WOW ! I think we can really get this page going .
Here is just a few recipes that I have on hand . It would be great if everyone could post one of their favorites to the post starting out . If you have more , post as many as you like !
Together , we can help each other through this :-)
One thing you can do to keep up with the recipes is to left click your computer mouse and highlight the recipe , then right click and choose copy. Open your notepad or word program and paste the recipe onto the blank page. Then print and keep it in a binder!
Hope this helps and let's keep it going !

*Strawberry Yogurt Frappe
1 Tb strawberry syrup or other flavoring
½ cup vanilla yogurt
½ Milk
¼ cup orange Juice
Dash vanilla
mix all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.

*Fruit and Cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 cup canned fruit in heavy syrup (peaches,
apricots, pears)
Almond or vanilla extract to taste.

*High-Calorie Malt
½ cup whole milk
1 tbsp malted milk powder
½ cup half and half
1 oz package Instant Breakfast, any flavor
2 cups ice cream, any flavor
2 tbsp Ovaltine

Has anyone decided on a method to post and track Gastroparesis friendly recipes? I have read thru the thread and agree that we all have varying needs and food tolerances. As well, as during ill times the diet intake can change drastically from those not-so-bad times.

One method might be if the Journal section of the Inspire website could be used for tracking submitted recipes. Another method would be to create a chat group on Yahoo! or Google that could be managed by at least two people (covering down sick times).

I forget sometimes to log into my Inspire account ... especially, when I am not feeling that well.

I really would like to see what others are eating and creating!

Perhaps the managers of the website would make "recipes" a link we can access and add to, rather than posting to a discussion, as there are many on this page--but they are scattered. Might help new people trying to figure out what to eat. Can't hurt to ask.

I haven't tried this one yet, but I am a fan of Rachael Ray's 'Stoups'. This one has chicken and sweet potatoes. I can only eat like this on very good days, and I have to be careful not to overeat the stoups. (This will backfire if I overeat because then I will get sick). Cut the recipes in half or quarters.

I would leave out the onion, scallion, and celery. (Actually... sometimes I leave them in - in large pieces, and fish them out after cooking, just to get their flavor). If you can't eat chicken, you can make it without - and you could probably blenderize it.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/smoky-sweet-potato-chicken-s toup-recipe/index.html

I make 'spaghetti and meatball stoup' a lot. But I use lean ground turkey. Sometimes I can't eat much of the meatballs even if they're broken up, but at least the broth is very good! (do likewise with the onions and celery as above)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/spaghetti-and-meatball-stoup -thicker-than-soup-thinner-than-stew-recipe/index.html

Oh - in the spaghetti & meatball stoup, I don't use ANY pasta. I never eat it, because it fills me up so fast and isn't nutritious. Or - you could use pastina.

Recipe page--GREAT IDEA!!! I also get tired of the same old things. I have trouble with sugar and wheat. I usually eat only meat and vegetables so I appreciate gpgirl5 recipes.

Here is a pasta with chickpea sauce which I make...now its higher in fiber but because everything is blended very finely into a sauce its great for protein too and I dont have problems with my low residue diet... I am gluten free so it also works with rice pasta...

2 medium yellow onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 1/2 tablespoons of dried rosemary (crushed)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 15 oz cans of chickpeas
salt and ground pepper
1 pound of pasta (I have made it with linguini and smaller pasta, but prefer the larger)

Heat olive oil in pot. Put in onions, garlic, and rosemary on low heat for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and cook for 10 minutes. Puree the sauce until it is smooth. Add salt and ground pepper and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Pour over cooked pasta. Add parmesan cheese if you like.

Here's a few to add to the list:

Fruit Smoothie:
-Low fat milk/soy milk, etc.
-1/2 fat ice cream
-2 T almond butter
-Protein powder (if you need extra protein)
-Frozen blueberries and cherries, slightly thawed in the micro
-1/2 a banana
-1 T ground flaxseed
Ground Chicken Puree:
-1/2 cooked ground chicken burger
-little milk/soy milk, etc. for mixing
-1/2 cup couscous/millet/quinioa or mashed potatoes or 1/2 of a cooked potato without the skin
-very well cooked kale/chard/spinach or baby food spinach (don't use much milk if using baby food as it will be too runny)

Puree well. Put in bowl with tiny bit of butter and seasoning (I use low sodium salt, garlic powder and sometimes Italian seasoning). Zap and enjoy!
Egg/yam puree:

-1/2 cooked yam without the skin or baby food sweet potato
-1 egg (microwaved for a minute-stir first. Otherwise the yolk will explode! I spray a bowl and stir the raw egg in it)
-1/2 cup cooked grits
-little bit of milk, etc. for mixing. Don't use if using baby food as it's liquidy (made up my own word :-)) enough

Puree well and enjoy!

Mphotographer

This is a dish that when my mom is doing solids, she loves!

Chicken and Rice Recipe:

1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 c. lowfat or skim milk
1 cup fat free chicken broth
This is all mixed together and cooked on the top of the stove, stir frequently.
While that is cooking cook 1 1/2 cup of white rice.
In a separate pan I cook several strips of skinless/boneless chicken strips in fat free chicken stock.

When the rice and chicken are done cooking, I cut up the chicken into small pieces and add it to the white sauce. Then I add in the rice and stir it all together.

I bake it in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes.

She loves it!!

Great Idea! I'm going to have a friend of mine work on creating a home page for this so we can keep recipes organized, stay tuned.

My fav recipes...

Smoothies
3/4 cup hemp/almond/hazlenut milk
Fruit - soaked dates(skins removed), very ripe banana, papaya, pinapple, frozen blueberries, your fav combo.
1/2 - 1 Tbl coconut oil dissolved in a bit of hot water
Protein powder
Cardamom (tasty digestive spice)

Coconut Sag Paneer Puree
Mix of coconut milk/stock
Mild curry powder or corriander, tumeric, spices of choice
Spinach or bok choy (easy to digest greens)
-Simmer spinach in spices and milk/stock until well cooked. Add diced chicken breast and puree.
Sometimes I save some of this whole for a few bites.
Serve over quinoa (soaked overnight and cooked in 3-4 parts water over 30 min).
Add chopped cilantro and paprika.

Chicken Congee (Rice porridge)
½ cup rice (or barley)
4 cups water or stock
1 chopped Baby bok choy
1 2-inch piece kombu seaweed (reduces gas)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon minced ginger
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon cumin

Cook 8 hrs before bed for breakfast or in morning for dinner! Add diced chicken or protein of choice.

High Calorie Snack
Blend 1 part raw tahini (ground sesame seeds) with 1 part jam (my fav is apricot).
1 Tbl is nearly 200 calories!

Here is a great website I found with several good soups, pumpkin pie and many other pureed recipes that are not the usual "Babyfood" type meals !
ENJOY :-)
http://caloriecount.about.com/puree-recipes-rc79

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders