Pain under my rib cage

I am a 29 your old woman and I have been having a lot of pain under my rib cage. it starts underneath my breasts and its under my ribs as if it were like inside of my ribs. it also makes it difficult to take a deep breath. I am overweight and I have had health problems with kidney stones but never anything like this. I would appreciate anybody's point of view. I am trying to get a few ideas before calling my doctor or going to the hospital.

9 replies. Join the discussion

Sorry you are having this experience. Whenever the food is having trouble digesting from my stomach to my small intestine, I get severe pain on the left side, under my rib cage. I put a heating pad on the area, and sometimes that gives a small amount of relief from pain. Other times, I just have to wait it out. At times like that I try to remember what I ate and do not eat that food or drink again. Other times, it is a mystery. I have not found any cure for my problem. Good luck to you.

I just had same thing...went to ER and it was Acid Reflux....pain was in chest....not heart.
You might try antacids?

I get pain right under my ribcage as well. I have no idea why or what to do when it happens.

Sarahbear,

You might look up more info on the internet about gastroparesis, to see if this more describes your symptoms. I've had motility problems for decades, but this last fall, I reached a point where even the liquids I consumed caused pain under my left rib. Within a couple of months, I lost almost 18 pounds. When I went to a new gastroenterologist, he had a GES (gastric emptying study) run and that showed there was mild gastroparesis - partial paralysis of the stomach. I went on an NJ tube for two months and then had a J tube put in endoscopically. I'm now off all pain meds, and am getting the nutrition I need without all the pain, There is still some pain at times, as I continue to try and eat some full liquids. Hope this is helpful and I wish you luck in finding answers.

Take care and God Bless,

BonnieKay

Sarahbear, Not to alarm you, but I had this pain under my ribs too. I couldn't stand to wear anything constricting and taking a deep breath was painful. They did an ultrasound to see if it was the gallbladder and instead found I had a PVT, Portal Vein Thrombosis. (This is a blood clot in the blood vessel leading out of the liver). They tested my blood for clotting disorders and it was all negative. A month later they re-tested & it had significantly reduced in size. A mystery, but I did read that people with GP can be prone to PVT. I hope and pray this is isn't your problem, but it might be worth investigating. BTW, the pain did go away as the PVT shrunk in size.

I am so sorry to hear of your pain:( When I first got sick with GP the pain was so excruciating. It would start in the center between my breasts and radiate to under my left rib. It was stabbing and throbbed like a toothache. With me it comes and goes but can be there for days and usually it is my indication that I'm about to flare. I either get the nausea and then the pain or the pain and then the nausea. The pain range can be from a 2 to a 10. Last year I had an experimental nerve block that has helped a lot. Most of the time I try not to take anything and will use a lidoderm patch as my first defense, if that doesn't help with the pain I take neurontin. A heating pad or bengay patch also helps...take care, I will keep you in my prayers...sherri

I get that all the time. Sometimes it is mild and feels like a rock between my left ribs. Sometimes the pain will be so bad that it goes into my chest, shoulder, neck and jaw. I have found that when my husband stretches the are under my ribs and between my ribs there will be a release in that rib. I feel some relief depending on the amount of release. I hope this might help you.

I felt like I had a tennis ball shoved under my ribs, but usually just on the right side. Rarely get it now that I have been taking domperidone for a year. I don't know what causes it.

I always have some discomfort on the left side under my shoulder blade====It scares me too....I do have herniated disks and spinal stenosis but this pain feels at least partially digestive

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders