No bowel movement in 3 weeks

I am really starting to get scared. I haven't had a bowel movement in 3 weeks. I take miralax everyday. I've tried 2 fleet enemas, and last night I tried magnesium citrate at my GI docs suggestion. I only went a tiny, tiny bit. I've struggled with constipation for many years, but it seems like my bowels have totally shut down. Normally the GP presents itself in severe abdominal pain, intractable vomiting, feeling full, and GERD. This is getting out of hand, and I'm scared. Do you have any suggestions? I can't tolerate fiber at all including fruits and vegetables. (I get my nutrition solely through my j-tube).

15 replies. Join the discussion

Be careful. My son had similar symptoms as an infant, and it was an obstruction. They paid no attention until he vomited blood at the doctor's office. Don't wait long before insisting that this be looked at carefully!

i agree,,,call your doctor...this is not normal by any standards.

Hi friend,

When I had a similar situation (length of time), I finally got results, albeit slowly, with a hot water enema. At first just the hot water came out, but I kept at it, increasing the amount. Finally some started softening enough to start moving with gravity etc. I was in so much pain I thought I'd have to go to the ER. Try it - you can use just an empty fleet enema bottle, or any bottle with an appropriate nozzle attachment - and it has to be squeezable of course.

I hope it helps. It's such a miserable feeling. The alternative at the hospital is tubes from below, tubes from above, all sucking the "stuff" out - very unpleasant. A Scleroderma friend of mine used to have to have it done a lot until she had her colon removed.

The key is letting the hot water stay in as long as possible and as much as possible to soften things up. If you try it, let us know how you do.

Blessings, Jan

I agree with everyone above. My doctor put me on a low dose of Morphine for Chronic Pain ain problems and I got very constipated. I went for over a week and could not go. I also am suffering from Shingles. I took several doses of Dolculex and finally out of my mind from not going, and all the medicine buildup, I felt like I was going to die. Quite miserable. I just started going yesterday. I think I had a swelled hemroid that would not let it pass. So if you do not go soon, it will make you very sick and poison your system. My mind was shuttting down, along with the rest of me. Today I am feeling better, but still a little posioned. Be careful because this is how I went down with liver and kidney failure in 2004. See a doc, or go tto the ER!!!! Good luck.

I agree with the others. I would insist on seeing a doctor or go to the ER. Do not wait. Something needs to be done before this turns into a serious emergency.
This happened to me in the very begining and I was hospitalized for a few days before I started to go. But I ended up needing surgery.
I am sorry you are going through this.
Good Luck.

I agree. Insist on seeing a doctor. You can't go on like this. The only thing that works for me for constipation is a product called CleanseMore by Renew Life. You can find it at Whole Foods or other health food stores. 2 tablets vs. 1 does the trick. However, 3 weeks is a very long time vs. 10 days I waited before taking this product so definitely see a doctor. Take care and keep us posted!

I went ten days and ended up in the ER in sever pain. They told me I was severly impacted but they were able to clear me. I was warned that this is a dangerous situation and to never EVER NEVER wait when the constipation cannot be controlled or the pain sets in. Sweetie, if you are still reading this site STOP IT, and go to the doctor. Let us know how you are when they help you. I am so sorry for your pain, I so understand, and I am so sorry you are going through it.

Hi , I'm so sorry to hear you are just stopped up. This like my fellow GP'sufferers said can be very toxic. I had a friend we met a hospital who came in the VA hospital after six weeks of not going, he was in terrible pain. They took him in and did an enema at the hospital until he passed. His blood was toxic too when he was admitted. Please see your doctor ASAP, this is not normal or good for your body. God be with you. Gina

I have had this happen several times and it is extremely painful. I have CIPO and was told to NEVER use an enema! The water usually doesn't come out and only makes things worse.

I wound up in the hospital with the impaction and the drs. had to physically remove it. Call your dr. immediately! Or go to the ER. before it gets any worse.

Let us know how things go...excuse the pun.

Praying for a good one!
Loie

Thank you for all of your help! I was finally able to go after almost 4 weeks. I am still in considerable pain, so I have an appt with the GI doc tomorrow. I almost wish that he would just put me in the hospital to help get my body functioning again! I've been off of pain meds for 4 weeks now, and I am struggling daily just to keep living. Pray for a miracle, I often feel like I won't last another day!

I am sorry you are experiencing such pain. I can totally relate...as most of us can. But know that I will be praying for you.

Hang in there, Loie

I am sorry you are dealing with so much pain. I hope the GI is able to help you find a solution to what the problem/problems is/are.
In my case it was the turning point that made me realize solids and fiber were off the table. I think it would help your body recover if you do stick to liquids for at least a short while.
Good Luck!

Don't forget to let us know what the dr. tells you. Hope the visit was helpful!

Take Care,
Loie

I can totally relate- every time I stop going I end up with an obstruction and have to go to the hospital.I am struggling with severe constipation as I write you and am miserable- every laxative in the book I've used and only pass fluid.And I have no colon they removed it in 2002, I've had severe Cipo, constipation, gastroparesis and slow motility/malabsorption of the small intestine. It's Insane!! Get to the Dr. or hospital asap- It's a horrible thing to go through so keep us all posted on progress-Kerriann

Dear Yourfriend, I too have struggled with constipation for most of my life , I found something recently that really helps me. It's called "Natural Calm" its magesium citrate that disolves in hot water, I took it to relax my neck muscles and it had the added benefit of making me go quite regularly. It took 3 or 4 days but since then, Wow. I know we are not all alike and our constipation may have different causes but it's worth a try. Plus it does calm you down and helps with sleep. Again it's called Peter Gillham's Natural Calm, I like the raspberry lemon flavor. You might want to try it. Best Wishes and a BIG Hug Gina

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support AGMD

Help the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Association of Gastrointestinal Motility Disorders

Advertisement

Advertisement

Discussion topics

Helpful links from AGMD

Community leaders